Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As stated in the title I have a no crank no start condition that happens very seldomly and seems to only occur when we have cold temps here in chicago.

I turn the key like I normally would and no crank, no starter solenoid click just the dash lights come on.
I take the key out and reinsert it give it a try again and it fires right up, no hesitation.
I've never had battery issues with the truck or any issues for that matter, the key is the OEM Honda key fob style.
It almost seems like its an issue caused by the immobilizer or security system.
Today it took about 3 attempts to get it started before it turned over and started like any other day. So I'm afraid it maybe getting worse and leave me stranded somewhere one day.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Weird, could it be tht the battery in the key has a low battery? Do you have a valet key? If you do try and start it like you normally do and see if it cranks on the first try.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Next time it does it, take something like a tire iron and tap (LIGHTLY, you're not trying to murder the thing) on the starter. If it starts right up you may have a starter issue and it will have to be replaced. Normally immobilizer issues will have a green key on the dash while trying to start, and the engine turns over but doesnt fire.

It could be the starter where you're almost 10 years old.

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
Next time this happens, turn the key forward to just before the starting position, put the vehicle in neutral (make sure your foot is on the brake, of course), and then try starting it. If that works, you might have an issue with the neutral position sensor (I think that is the name of it) in your steering column.

There's a sensor in the column that determines if the shifter is in park or neutral and will prevent your vehicle from starting if it is not in one of those positions. The sensor may be bad and might "think" your shifter is in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or "D", and is preventing your vehicle from starting.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello again, im at work and havent gotten a chance to take a look at it but, I do have a green key illuminate on the righthand side of my cluster when starting. is this bad or does this indicate the immobilizer is working?
I also don't believe its a stuck brush or armature in the starter which lightly tapping will normally fix temporarily. The plunger solenoid on the Bendix gear will usually engage into the flex plate ring gear attempting to turn over just never spin. which would click in that situation.
I also do have a backup key fob that is some cheapo Honda replica i got off ebay. but I know it works. I can give them both a try to see if this could be the issue.
It also crossed my mind that the neutral safety switch could be bad and I tried popping it into gear then back to park but I'm not sure that made a difference. Next time I will try starting from neutral instead.

Thanks for the suggestions, it doesn't seem like its a common issue which is a good thing but may make it more difficult to figure out.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Hello again, im at work and havent gotten a chance to take a look at it but, I do have a green key illuminate on the righthand side of my cluster when starting. is this bad or does this indicate the immobilizer is working?
I also don't believe its a stuck brush or armature in the starter which lightly tapping will normally fix temporarily. The plunger solenoid on the Bendix gear will usually engage into the flex plate ring gear attempting to turn over just never spin. which would click in that situation.
I also do have a backup key fob that is some cheapo Honda replica i got off ebay. but I know it works. I can give them both a try to see if this could be the issue.
It also crossed my mind that the neutral safety switch could be bad and I tried popping it into gear then back to park but I'm not sure that made a difference. Next time I will try starting from neutral instead.

Thanks for the suggestions, it doesn't seem like its a common issue which is a good thing but may make it more difficult to figure out.
Hmmm... Well I can tell you that the green key will come on and go off when you start.

If there's an issue it will continue flashing and the truck will turn over, it just won't fire.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,481 Posts
Back to basics here. How old is your battery?? There are ample stories on this forum of all sorts of strange behaviors that occur as a result of a bad battery. You say you never have had a battery problem? Does that mean you are on the original?

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,778 Posts
I'll bet it's your starter cut relay.

Swap out the relay with another similar one and see if that fixes the problem. (your seat heater relay may be the same).

Or pull another one that you don't need right now like the compressor clutch relay or the heated wiper relay... if they are the same.

If per chance that is not the issue, here are some troubleshooting steps:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts