Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced my battery after noticing a decent amount of corrosion on the + terminal and it was having a hard time turning over (was also 4 years old) since then I have this strange issue where sometimes, after driving it and it sitting for a while, the car wont start. It sunder like the starter so I had it replaced. I have a new battery and a starter now, and what happens......it sometimes just wont start, the gauge indicators shake and there is not power. If I leave it a for a few minutes and try, it will all of a sudden come to life after a few tries. I'm bewildered and have no idea where to go with this.....it's also impossible to recreate the problem in the shop. I had the battery tested and it was 100% charged.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Starter relay.

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,137 Posts
x2 on the starter relay. There is a remote possibility that you have a short or a break in one of the power or ground cables between the battery and the starter, but I would guess that a dying battery likely caused the relay to go on the fritz. Change it out and see if that works.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
I agree that the next most likely item is the starter relay. However I would caution you, you've already spent more money than a qualified mechanic would have likely charged you to fix it right, the first time.

Sometimes it pays to seek professional help. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
24,057 Posts
If it's the relay (and I agree with the above diagnosis), it's an easy fix:

Swap with the power window relay or rear accessory power socket relay and see if the issue moves to the new location of the suspect relay (I believe the same relay is used in those locations). Needle nose pliers work well to remove the relays.

Also, you can easily test a relay with a multimeter and a couple of wires with alligator clips:

Attach the alligator clips to the battery and then to the 3 and 4 terminals of the suspect relay. It should click and also show continuity across the 1 and 2 terminals. There should be no continuity when unpowered.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.