Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Update: Having the same Issue again 4 days after this post... Keeping the post up in case the resolution below works for someone. Will repost if Honda is able to determine problem. To address one of the post below... I have asked them about pressure switch previously, but they said that is not the issue...I will ask again...

Original Post below:

For the past 2 years, on random occassions, my vehicle would suffer a pretty severe jolt when accelerating and transistioning from first to second gear. This would happen very sporatically and could happen if the engine was cold or hot and if travelling slow or fast. At one point, the issue seemed to be resolved by a transmission flush, but it returned several months later. The issue could immediately be resolved by turning off the engine and restarting it. Then all would be well for several days or weeks, until the next episode. My local service department was unable to replicate the issue as it was very sporadic. Last month, the issue occurred as I was driving by my Honda dealer. I pulled into the service lot and kept the truck running and a service tech came out and drove with me and experienced the transmission bump. I left the vehicle with Honda while I was away on a 2 week trip and when I returned, I was delighted to find that they able to replicate the problem and upon further research determine that it was a known issue with the vehicle. In case anyone else experiences this issue, the resolution was to "Update the 6A/T Software (Judder)" and to Flush the ATF fluid three (3) times.

·
Registered
45 Posts
For the past 2 years, on random occassions, my vehicle would suffer a pretty severe jolt when accelerating and transistioning from first to second gear. This would happen very sporatically and could happen if the engine was cold or hot and if travelling slow or fast. At one point, the issue seemed to be resolved by a transmission flush, but it returned several months later. The issue could immediately be resolved by turning off the engine and restarting it. Then all would be well for several days or weeks, until the next episode. My local service department was unable to replicate the issue as it was very sporadic. Last month, the issue occurred as I was driving by my Honda dealer. I pulled into the service lot and kept the truck running and a service tech came out and drove with me and experienced the transmission bump. I left the vehicle with Honda while I was away on a 2 week trip and when I returned, I was delighted to find that they able to replicate the problem and upon further research determine that it was a known issue with the vehicle. In case anyone else experiences this issue, the resolution was to "Update the 6A/T Software (Judder)" and to Flush the ATF fluid three (3) times.
There’s something about those Ridgeline transmissions. Last year mine started pulsating. The dealer fixed it by flushing with new transmission fluid a few times. Now the pulsating is back, and I have a service appointment next week. I bought the extended warranty, so I’m expecting this won’t mean anything out of pocket. If not, it will be a very unhappy scene to witness. I’m quite disappointed with Honda right now.

·
Premium Member
Red 2017 RTL-E
891 Posts
There’s something about those Ridgeline transmissions. Last year mine started pulsating. The dealer fixed it by flushing with new transmission fluid a few times. Now the pulsating is back, and I have a service appointment next week. I bought the extended warranty, so I’m expecting this won’t mean anything out of pocket. If not, it will be a very unhappy scene to witness. I’m quite disappointed with Honda right now.
Disappointed? Because a vehicle has an issue? Hopefully you haven't owned a Ford/Chevy/BMW/Toyota/Mazda/Subaru vehicle in the last 5 years. You'd be equally as upset.

Hint: There is NO perfect vehicle, period.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Disappointed? Because a vehicle has an issue? Hopefully you haven't owned a Ford/Chevy/BMW/Toyota/Mazda/Subaru vehicle in the last 5 years. You'd be equally as upset.
To those who are long-time Honda owners, the very truth of your words signifies the loss of Honda's special reputation for quality. Over the past dozen-or-so years they have gone from "Dollar for dollar, the best car in the world" to 'Ho hum, nothing special to see here, folks... just yer ordinary, everyday car maker relentlessly pursuing mediocrity.'

·
Administrator
19,520 Posts
The symptoms you are describing are more consistent with a faulty pressure switch - not software or degraded fluid. I'd be surprised if the software update and flush flush were a permanent/long-term fix for what you experienced.

The software update and fluid flush TSB and 8/80 warranty extension are for a very specific source of judder from the torque converter clutch - not a 1-2 "jolt". More information can be found in the TSB itself.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Sadly, After 3 days, I am having the same issue again intermittent issue with the transmission, which resolves when I stop the car and restart. This will be the 4th time its going in for service for the same transmission issue. This is my second Ridgeline. My 2007 was a dream and I kept it for almost 200,000 miles. Because of Honda's quality, I purchased a second Ridgeline in 2017, but sadly, I have had a number of issues with this vehicle. So far, Honda has been great about keeping the issue under warranty, even though I am currently passed 60K. I did ask them about the pressure switch the last time I brought it in for service, as I had seen that on multiple posts, but they said they ruled that out. I am going to ask them about it again when I bring the truck in for service again this morning.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts