Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if you can plug in an Ipod directly over the glovebox? Will you be able to use the radio controls to control the Ipod?

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
If you get the model with the AUX input jack above the glove box you should be able to plug in a iPod. At least that is what I plan to do once I get my truck.

I have no idea if you can use the radio controls or not. I first guess would be that you cannot but I honestly don't know.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My salesman seemed to think that you could. I just didn't have my Ipod with me at the time. I hope someone can confirm.

·
Registered
51 Posts
You only get the AUX input jack with the Nav system . Other wise your best bet ia FM transmitter for the iPOD this will alow you to use the radio controls .

·
Registered
13 Posts
The AUX jack is just a headphone input not a data port. Therefore it does not transfer track information or allow for radio control of the IPOD. It makes sense, since each MP3 player had different control ports. It sounds good, however, better than an FM modulator.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I'm looking at an auxiliary input converter to solve this problem. So far, the manufacturers are not making one specifically for the Ridgeline...I guess it is too new. In the back of the HU for the RTL without Navi, there is a 14 pin connector. It is there for an optional MP3 unit. I'm not sure if this 14 pin connector is generic. If it is then it might work with this converter. If anyone knows better, please confirm or deny this assumption. I purchased an OmniFi unit and I plan on installing it with the existing headunit.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
reddwarf said:
The AUX jack is just a headphone input not a data port. Therefore it does not transfer track information or allow for radio control of the IPOD. It makes sense, since each MP3 player had different control ports. It sounds good, however, better than an FM modulator.
Sounds like you have the RTL with Navi. How do you activate the Aux input? What I mean is do you just push the button that has CD/AUX? If so, when the auxiliary is functioning, what does the LCD display.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have been waiting to post this but after a week of using this ipod transmitter. It works great. I concider myself a audiophile willing to spend $20k on a home stereo system , and after carefull consideration I can't see why anyone would want to tear open their dashboard and install a 3rd party connector and modulator to hookup their iPod . My previous car had a $1600 Alpine in with RCA plugs that I hooked up the pod and this transmitter hookup sounds as good. You can postion it purfectly for easy access to the controls . You tune it to a non used freq. in your area , plugs into power outlet (cig. lighter) and away you go . Installtion time 2 min. And you can take it with you to other cars .
Griffen Road Trip
www.griffintechnology.com

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Maybe that Griffin devices works in your local. In the Northeast (Tri State Area) NY, NJ & CT it will work for about ten minutes and then you start getting static, noise etc. As far as I'm concerned the only way to connect an iPod is thru a direct input (mini plug)

·
Registered
265 Posts
bongus said:
I'm looking at an auxiliary input converter to solve this problem. So far, the manufacturers are not making one specifically for the Ridgeline...I guess it is too new. In the back of the HU for the RTL without Navi, there is a 14 pin connector. It is there for an optional MP3 unit. I'm not sure if this 14 pin connector is generic. If it is then it might work with this converter. If anyone knows better, please confirm or deny this assumption. I purchased an OmniFi unit and I plan on installing it with the existing headunit.
I personally have used an adaptor from Soundgate, on my Ridgeline, which gives you RCA inputs, you can get a patch cable for your ipod with a headphone jack on one end, and RCA on the other. Check here for the adaptor http://www.logjamelectronics.com/sounsnhond3.html

The adaptor plugs right in to a vacant 14 pin connector on the back of the headunit. It will NOT work if you have factory XM installed.

You will need a GIL (Ground loop isolator) because you get some alternator whine. Get them from Radio Shack for about $20. Soundgate also makes an inline amp for the aux input, check here
http://www.logjamelectronics.com/soundavm2.html

<p>The volume without the inline amp is a little low for my taste, even when cranked to 40.

·
Registered
40 Posts
i dont know if you guys have this thread still going but i have an MP3 PLAYER is not an IPOD all though the same just diferent operating sistem. i went to good guys to buy the cable with to 2 male outlets so i can plug it strait into the AUX in the console of the the RTL and the other end strait into my mp3 headphone outlet. once in place just click aux on the nav or stereo and play whatever i have going .. however i dont think u can control the mp3 from ur stereo i have tried and didnt work but is all good cuz i have it next to me so i change anything from there. THE CABLE ONLY cost me 6 dollars and u can get it at any electronics store just dont tell them is for the new ridgeline cuz then they go oh no new truck no stuff for it yet just ask for a headphone cable with 2male outlets... jejjeje

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
conchflats said:
I have been waiting to post this but after a week of using this ipod transmitter. It works great. I concider myself a audiophile willing to spend $20k on a home stereo system , and after carefull consideration I can't see why anyone would want to tear open their dashboard and install a 3rd party connector and modulator to hookup their iPod . My previous car had a $1600 Alpine in with RCA plugs that I hooked up the pod and this transmitter hookup sounds as good. You can postion it purfectly for easy access to the controls . You tune it to a non used freq. in your area , plugs into power outlet (cig. lighter) and away you go . Installtion time 2 min. And you can take it with you to other cars .
Griffen Road Trip
www.griffintechnology.com
Looks like it blocks all your other controls?

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Stereolab said:
Maybe that Griffin devices works in your local. In the Northeast (Tri State Area) NY, NJ & CT it will work for about ten minutes and then you start getting static, noise etc. As far as I'm concerned the only way to connect an iPod is thru a direct input (mini plug)
I've used the Mcally FM transmitter and my success has been average at best. I live in Northern California and have to constantly change the station to keep the static away.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Even down here in LA (Lower Alabama) I had problems with interference and muddy sound when I tried a FM transmitter with my XM. After I hard wired using a AUX adapter it made all the difference in the world.

As far as removing the dash goes, it was no problem at all. I used the instructions supplied by H&A's website. Off and back on was literally a snap.

·
Registered
13 Posts
bongus said:
Sounds like you have the RTL with Navi. How do you activate the Aux input? What I mean is do you just push the button that has CD/AUX? If so, when the auxiliary is functioning, what does the LCD display.
Yes I do have an RTL with NAVI. The AUX input is activated with the CD/AUX button. Press it once ant it plays the CD press it again to select the AUX input. When AuX is functioning it reads AUX. When it is CD is says...you guessed it...CD. It is pretty intuitive.

Unless there is a special chord that plugs into the the docking port of the ipod that sends data to the unit (which I do not have and am not sure if it exists), Song titles are not displayed.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Welcome Reddwarf to the ROC and thank you for the following up my post. Your information is helpful. The adapter I am looking at does not display AUX but CDC which I believe stands for CD Changer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
rtpjunior said:
I personally have used an adaptor from Soundgate, on my Ridgeline, which gives you RCA inputs, you can get a patch cable for your ipod with a headphone jack on one end, and RCA on the other. Check here for the adaptor http://www.logjamelectronics.com/sounsnhond3.html

The adaptor plugs right in to a vacant 14 pin connector on the back of the headunit. It will NOT work if you have factory XM installed.

You will need a GIL (Ground loop isolator) because you get some alternator whine. Get them from Radio Shack for about $20. Soundgate also makes an inline amp for the aux input, check here
http://www.logjamelectronics.com/soundavm2.html

<p>The volume without the inline amp is a little low for my taste, even when cranked to 40.

Why will it not work with factory XM?

Thanks
Scout

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Does the IPOD FM Transmitter work, is it worth the money to get one without hardwiring? how does the modular IPOD FM transmitter that connects on top of the ipod transmit over the waves? Does it sound clean w/o static? Seems like without a cassette there's not another way to connect an IPOD to the radio unless, someone connects a modular i.e.: Monster ICRUZE http://www.engadget.com/entry/0647766019932855/.
Just wondering, if anyone figured it out or anyone tried putting an AUX connection to a RL RTS or RL RT?

·
Registered
491 Posts
OK...I'll try this question here..you guys seem to get it...but I don't. On the navi screen should there be an AUX tab at the top?? The last in my tab row is CD CHG....does that change when you plug in to the AUX jack? The manual shows a seperate AUX tab at the top of the screen-I don't see that?? thanks

1 - 20 of 43 Posts