Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Soon to be new owner here, just need to find a good truck to purchase.

I am currently looking at a 2006 Ridgline RTL with 135,000+ miles on it.
I've read the horrors of the #4 cylinder, so was wondering if I'm safe with this truck?
The manufacture date is 8/05.

From my research, I've seen 2 people with Manufacture dates of 11/05 with the problem, but it doesn't seem anyone over 125,000 miles has reported the issue.

When I test drive it, I plan to take drive it for a while and ask the service department to pull the #4 spark plug so I can visually inspect it.

I originally asked them to send me a pic of it and they emailed back that they just went ahead and replaced the spark plugs. This kind of worries me, but everything else about the truck seems great! (Water pump/timing belt replaced, new tires, few extra accessories).

I'm just paranoid about the #4 cylinder issue. I know you can't say with 100% confidence that I'm in the clear - but what are you thoughts?

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,380 Posts
You are probably thinking too much on this one. The vast majority of Ridges have no issues and will give you years and miles of trouble free service. That said, I haven't seen any evidence to indicate that you would be "safe" at 135K. It is also not clear as to it being only a "cylinder 4" issue. It is also not clear as to what is at the root of the problem . . .Loose plugs resulting in escaped combustion gasses leading to burnt coil and localized overheating and cracking of the head? Or perhaps the head is miscast from start allowing the plugs to loosen?

Anyways, you are rolling the dice no mater what you do. Checking the front bank of spark plugs is really easy and might give you some insight into how the motor is doing. Overall, all years of the Ridge are pretty reliable. If you can afford a 09 or 10, Honda build quality still seems to be good (not so good in the last couple of years) and you also would get the benefit of the engine / transmission tweaks that MILDLY boosted performance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Funny enough - my wife and I just had a similar conversation last night. When I buy my Ridgeline, I expect it to be my 10+ year truck so I'm doing lots and lots of digging.

Another thought I had, and I appreciate 2nd opinions, is to buy a cheap vehicle now and wait until the 2016 RL comes out. I'm thinking that once the new model comes out, there will be an increase in older ones for sale which could also help the price drop.

I just have a case of "I want it now!" that I'm trying to get over! :)

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Your best compromise if you "want it now" but want to drive forever is to do an exhaustive search to find a (good condition of course) low miles RL (like under 50K low miles) independent of model year. Your absolute best value is to find an '06-08 in that low miles category.... and even better if it's in a mild weather state. Then JUMP on it when you find it. Travel to buy & drive it home. You won't be sorry.

Dream scenario: '06 RL RTL with all the extras, 25K actual miles, mint condition, always garaged, SW state vehicle. You can pay extra for this & still come away happy. But THAT would take some serious searching to find.

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,050 Posts
You really need to consider your budget and what you're willing to spend. If you're between a 10-year-old truck with 135k miles and a brand new Gen 2 when they come out, you're all over the board. If you're really expecting 10+ years out of this vehicle, I don't know that you're going to get that with an 06 with that many miles unless you're willing to put some money into it to keep everything running well. Inevitably, something is going to go wrong with a vehicle of that age and mileage that will cost you. I'm simply waiting on something expensive to happen to my 07 with 147k miles, but I've been very lucky so far.

My advice would be to up your budget a bit. Find yourself a lower mileage, well-kept 2010-2013 model. They keep their value really well, so I wouldn't worry about diminishing value all that much. You're going to save a PILE of money over buying a brand new one and you're still going to get a great vehicle. The Gen 2 could spark your fancy or it could be disappointing to you. So, if you buy a quality Gen 1 now, you can enjoy driving a RL in the interim before Gen 2 comes out. If you like the Gen 2, you can trade up without losing much, if any, money on your Gen 1. If you don't like the Gen 2, you have a Gen 1 truck that WILL last you 10+ years with good care and maintenance. As a quick look, there are several quality 2010-12 RTL's within a few hundred miles of my area that have between 65,000 and 90,000 miles and are priced between $21,000 and 25,000. Negotiating could get it under $20k.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts