Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in need of a truck...ish car. I do some contracting work but also need to get my kids places, and live in Minnesota so I/my wife would like AWD for the winter. "real" truck prices are ludicrous.
I've found a 2007 Ridgeline in some sort of weird green with a matching topper for about $5k.
Seller claims 250k hiway - 130k on a "new" engine. I spoke with him and it sounds like it might be a JDM engine and he didn't really elucidate why it was replaced. It really does look pretty dang good.
I went to take a look and the interior is immaculate leather. Like its never been driven except the steering wheel is worn down. Exterior - looks like its been bumped a couple of times on the corners, hood wasn't completely latched (although I think it was just left up) and very little rut (just a spot on the frame before the rear tires. No running boards but right where they would terminate.
I the truth is that the engine only has 130k on it, and it looks as good as it does, says it runs and drives like new - does your experience say this car has a few more years on it? I think it does but...my wife doens't want to buy any "crappy" cars and I don't want the hassle, but it seems like a good deal to me...

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,299 Posts
So much depends on how it was maintained and operated over its prior life. I would also like to know the reason for the replacement engine. That would send up a flag which I would like an answer to. OTOH, for only $5k, you're not going to be severely impacted if the truck runs for a year and then dies, unless it nickles and dimes you to death.

Was this the original owner who is selling the truck? Can you get any maintenance history and the truth about the engine replacement?

If properly maintained and operated, the G1 Ridgeline should easily expect 400k + miles of service.

·
Registered
35 Posts
In general you'll probably get mostly personal opinions in a thread like this given all the variables with a vehicle like this. This is my personal opinion, in spite of the 'new" engine I wouldn't do it, too many overall miles. Maybe with immaculate service records @ $3,000-4,000. This may be a time to listen to the wife.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
6,629 Posts
I am amazed that the drivers side seat bolster could still be considered "immaculate," after 250k miles. I concur, get it checked out by a trusted mechanic and then expect to spend at least $2000 to get it into top shape for your wife.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so these are photos i took of the actual truck, theres a matching spot of rust on the other side hardpoint, but otherwise frame is relatively rust free. The dings and bumps are as you see and the interior leather does in fact look really, really nice. I was weong about the steering wheel, it hasnt even had the paint worn off. So i mean even with the miles, is 5k too much -

think if it another way, im considering buying a maverick as soon as they come out - ive reserved one - probably cant get it til march or later next year. If i buy this will it last another 12 months without bankrupting me? And do you think it will still be worth 4 or 5 k next year if i sell it? That topper has got to be worth 1200 by itself, its flawless. 🤷🏻‍♀️

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
My only concern is that the rust area is right at the jacking position. So it looks like. Not sure what's going on with that rear bumper. The holes that the clips go into rusting out? The frt bumber is very indicative of a G1 frt bumper. Mine has been 'adjusted' at least 3 times. And so far is still misaligned. Even has been done twice with the 'new designed' Handa side bumper brackets.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2007 RTL Steel Blue
570 Posts
Like others have stated, get it checked out by a shop, and run a carfax. Those fender flairs look aftermarket, are they hiding rust?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sounds like a hecka of a deal for that price. I would jump on it. I have an 06 I bought new now 240,000 and still going strong!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So to continue the saga, guy's girl had the keys out of town so I couldnt drive it til she got back. When she gets back, he calls and tells me he fired it up and the engine was smoking. So he won't sell it to me as it is. He's going to put a "new" (JDM or wrecked-car) engine in it first. Then he's going to recharge the AC system, then he's going to sell it to me for the original asking price since the engine blowing wasn't something he could sell the car with. Turns out he's been a mechanic for 45 years and this is his car - only selling it because he inherited something nicer. So I have to wait about a week more now, as he was taking a trip then needed three days from the time he got the new engine (early this coming week). Then its mine! I'm almost more excited about this ridgeline than the Maverick I'm planning to buy - all this stuff that's standard on the ridgeline is a pricey option on the Maverick - which also has less interior room, less bed, less towing and less bed capacity. And no trunk, obviously. And bed lighting is an extra $140 or something like that. The Ridgeline is basically the Maverick Lariat with all the options, except with higher specs and worse gas mileage. And they're both NARTs by any good-ol-boy definition. The honda seems to just have a lot more of everything.

·
Super Moderator
2,032 Posts
Caution is in order on this Ridgeline. If he's on the up and up then you'll be able to take it to a mechanic to get checked out. Be cautious here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts