Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some honest opinions from you guys. I need to know if a lift kit will really be beneficial enough for me to buy and install one. My work sends me offroad quite a bit on farms in mississippi. Nothing too serious like tall rocks or anything like that, just basic mud, soft soil, gravel, and sand. The problem is this, there are often deep tractor ruts or washed out places that I can't see due to tall grass or something like that. Once one side falls in I usually can't turn the wheel and pull out, just have to plow through until i'm out, dragging the undercarriage as I do so. I've looked under the truck and surprisingly it isn't as dented and bent up as I thought it would be by now, but I still don't like it. I know i'm going with a taller tire when it comes time to replace in a couple months. But do you guys think it will be worth it for me to put a lift on my truck? I just don't want to tear up my truck, really don't care about what it looks like, even though they do look good lifted!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I put mine on so I could hook the boat up easier. Great for snow too. I think installation and alignment perfectly done at the start makes all the difference. I put mine on at 84k and have 130k with 0 problems. Well worth it to me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I mean, I'd like to lift mine, if nothing else just because it looks so much better, I'm just trying to convince myself that I NEED it more than just WANT it. I've found the Traxda lift (formerly truxx I believe) on amazon for like 220 bucks or so. Not a huge investment but I still don't want to spend the money and probably a full day of installing if it isn't really going to help protect the truck all that much.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I can't think of a better reason to install a lift than dragging our undercarriage. ouch.
the lift plus taller tires will be a big help

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I'm telling myself too. I'm just concerned that I might still wind up dragging it with the lift on. I guess if nothing else it just won't drag as often

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I think I've decided to go another route. I've been reading up on things and really have talked myself out of the lift, mainly due to the problems some people have had because of it. I know theres just as many people who have had no problems at all after the same amount of miles, but with my luck I'd just rather stay away from that. I think I am going to put on the front and rear skid plates from burtman industries. Just seems like the most logical thing for me to do. Lift might come sometime in the future though.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I would suggest the skid plates regardless. I'm not sure how many people you've found with lift problems, but as long as you take it to someone who knows how to install it properly and you're sure to get the proper, shortened sway bars, you shouldn't have any issues. I've had mine for around 50k.

·
Registered
270 Posts
In a condition where you find yourself with a lack of ground clearance the lift can pay for itself in one trip. There are far more lifted trucks without issues than ones with issues and the ones with issues are almost always "minor" ones at that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I hear what you guys are saying. I'm not sure why, but I've just been really indecisive about the lift. I can talk myself out of it just as easy as into it haha. I'm almost 100% certain that a lift will be on the truck in the future, I just can't afford to shell out the presidents for front and rear plates, lift kit plus install, and new tires. Going to have to take it slow and easy, one thing at a time. I guess now the question is which is most important? Front or rear skid plate?.....So many options, so little money.....

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Dont know how deep the ruts you drive thru on a regular basis are but if an inch or two will do it thats great for a piece of mind along with your skid plates. A taller tire will get you up their a bit more also. But if money is an issue and you have been doin fine thats great. A lift with alignment and tires could end up being more than you asked for. It might help you out in a couple areas but the money vs how often is another thing. Do the skids and see what happens but dont forget to keep it clean under there so you know whats goin on. Skids can hold a lot of unwanted crap. If your tires are close to being replaced just go a bit taller and take it from their. :act035: Good Luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep that's exactly what I plan on doing northernlights. I try my best to stay out of the ruts and washouts but with my job it's just one of those unavoidable things. I might lift it down the road sometime but I really think I'll be fine with plates and taller tires. I've seen tons and tons of different tire sizes discussed on here but haven't seen 245/70r17 too much. This is what I was thinking about putting on mine, don't really want the mileage to tank so I wanted to stay skinny. Either 245/70 or 255/70 toyo open country at's

·
Registered
385 Posts
DS, looking at the fitment chart (http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33758) you may or may not be able to fit the 245/70 without mods; the 255/70 will definitely require removing the mudflaps and possibly some grinding too. The specific tire you choose is likely to matter.

The Ridgeline is just not designed to carry a much taller tire, and the issue is the wheel well length, not the height, so a lift kit does not help.

Also remember that the lift kit lifts the chassis and body of the truck, but the driveshafts to the wheels don't get any higher off the ground unless you install taller tires. In your situation, where you're typically dropping one side into a rut, seems like it's probably clearance to the driveshafts that matters more than clearance to the center of the chassis, so the lift kit won't help.

I think your idea of starting with skidplates to keep the motor and rear diff safe is a good one.

Flymo

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
I think there are some folks running 245/70-17s without a lift. I am with a lift and if it doesnt matter then you might be fine. BUT it might all depend on the Brand of tire and face of it. I'm runnin Michelin LTX AT2s. One inch taller but same width.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Tire size cannot increase with a lift. With or without a lift you can add bigger tires.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
flymo-- That is the exact reason I have talked myself out of the lift kit, I just really don't think it's worth it in my specific situation. I don't mind doing some alterations to get the tires to fit. By reading through this forum for a while I don't think too many people will agree with me but I actually think the truck looks better with no mudflaps. I plan on running my truck until she won't run anymore so I don't worry about little paint nicks here and there.

northernlights-- I've seen a couple guys on here running that size. They may have had to do some shaving to keep them from rubbing like flymo said, but thats no big deal. The tires I've pretty much set my mind on are either Toyo open country at's or Kumho KL78

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I can take them or leave them, if the paint chips bad enough I can always rhino line the rocker panels. Saw some general grabber at 2's on a truck today and they look like a good tire. What is the tread life on those like?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts