Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first Honda, and I'm sure it definately won't be my last, but I am getting very confused. I have serviced all my cars and rarely has any car ever gone back to the Dealer once it was driven off the lot. It seems, at least from the posts, that Honda Users use the Dealer much more than with other cars. When a oil change or tire rotation is required, most users appear to be prone to drive right to the Honda Dealer rather than use a much cheaper alternative, or do it the work themselves. Am I missing something? I just don't get it. :confused:

·
Registered
774 Posts
RidgeMe said:
This is my first Honda, and I'm sure it definately won't be my last, but I am getting very confused. I have serviced all my cars and rarely has any car ever gone back to the Dealer once it was driven off the lot. It seems, at least from the posts, that Honda Users use the Dealer much more than with other cars. When a oil change or tire rotation is required, most users appear to be prone to drive right to the Honda Dealer rather than use a much cheaper alternative, or do it the work themselves. Am I missing something? I just don't get it. :confused:
I'm not mechanically inclined but I have always done oil changes and rotations at home. Both should be very simple exercises for most vehicles. With 4400 miles and 40% still showing for oil life expectancy, I haven't done any of this maintenance on my Ridgeline yet. I'm sure others can be more informative on the process for this vehicle.

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts
denvrfan said:
I'm not mechanically inclined but I have always done oil changes and rotations at home. Both should be very simple exercises for most vehicles. With 4400 miles and 40% still showing for oil life expectancy, I haven't done any of this maintenance on my Ridgeline yet. I'm sure others can be more informative on the process for this vehicle.
I'm like denvrfan except that if it isn't physical training, scuba, martial arts or law enforcement tactics, I have it done for me. I apprehensive about messing up a good thing like my truck!!

·
Registered
198 Posts
RidgeMe said:
No need to go back to the dealer if you do not want to. Do it yourself or take it to a cheaper alternative. Just make sure you keep your receipts to show the service work was done.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
The more common trips to the dealer service is mainly for warranty. I have three oil and filter service with my purchase. Once thats done, back to Economy 10 min Oil Change :)

·
Registered
430 Posts
As part of my purchase, I received a Honda Owner loyalty card that "gives" me a few free things here and there and also discounted things here and there. So that is a big factor for me as to why I take it to the dealership.

Other than that, I mostly take it (and my wife's Subaru) to the dealership for two reasons.

First, I fear the new vehicles with sensors and electronics everywhere. I am handy and mechanically inclined, but that doesn't mean I can't screw things up.

Second, they maintain all of my service records. This is a big issue when it comes to resale or trade-in. I feel (right or wrong) that if it is a trade in and they have done the work, they are more likely to feel comfortable with the work done on it. Like wise on a resale (private party), I am able to say here are a copy of the service records. Everything was done by the dealer. I think this also makes the buyer feel better about the service work.

Just because I may use (and like) a third party service shop, doesn't the prospective buyer does.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Oil - me
Tires - Costco
Everything else - Dealer

(Sorry shortspark, but the format of you response was so elegant I had to steal it).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts