Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 100 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #81 (Edited)
Video is PUBLIC! I'll never buy another honda after today:

Okay all... today was not good, i'm going to keep this brief. I met with Steve ________ , District Rep for Honda at Howdy Honda in Austin Texas. As soon as i walked in the door he was there in the corner with his arms crossed and a cold stare. I started a conversation with Jeff (Service manager and great guy) when Steve interrupted me several times. He raised his voice (never yelled) But it was a very unwelcoming and almost hostile environment... VERY uncomfortable to say the least. Those of you that don't know me, i'm 40 years young, always smiling, have a soft tone of voice and very professional. I've been known to shout out commands and give orders but that's when i'm on duty in an official capacity, not for business meetings.

The cliff notes of the conversation were:

there's only 1 documented attempt at repair even tho I have taken it there 4 times, and mechanics have put their hands on my vehicle 4 times to attempt to fix the door gap issue. They blamed me for messing up the door and said it was perfect when it left. that's neither here nor there, the truck still had a visible door gap issue and I wanted it resolved. They were able to adjust the door for the 5th time and while there is still a small offset (maybe 1mm) it's within my spec and is acceptable. The door is easy to close but there was a noticeable clicking sound heard. The inner door seal was rubbing and they applied some silicone grease to silence it. The door was finally fixed, why it took 5 times I don't know. I had a legit complaint and how it was addressed and how I was spoken to today was unacceptable.

the hesitation issue - I drove it and immediately made it hesitate BAD, after 3 more attempts I couldn't get it to hesitate. The service manager acknowledged the first one when I told him it was floored. The rep did not acknowledge it and wanted to drive it. he could not duplicate the problem after 3 attempts therefore he said it does not have a hesitation problem!

We were going to drive another 2wd to compare apples to apples but there was only one on the lot and it was a sold unit. I had already driven a 4wd and after 10+ attempts I couldn't get it to hesitate. I also compared my ridgeline to 3 others on the lot over the past 2 months and none of then had the door gap issue that mine had. I also have a hood gap issue where rain water is entering the hood seal and staining the hood liner.

WHAT WAS SAID NEXT BLEW ME AWAY

He said i'm the only one with the hesitation issue and door issue. I told them I made a few posts on this website and had a poll. The proof is in the pudding. I also mentioned that current honda customers, current ridgeline customers (both generations) and future customers were monitoring this thread and that depending on the outcome of todays meeting would determine if they are going to remain a honda customer or not. the district rep got upset and said he did not care about the forums or what people think on here.

He was so unprofessional and left such a bad taste in my mouth. I'd never in 100 years expect an individual in his capacity to act the way he did to a loyal customer that had a legit complaint. It was his word and that was it. He *thought* it was fixed when he last saw it, things change. the gap was starting to move depending on temperature and after a car wash last night the door started clicking when you open it. THINGS CHANGE and he didn't want anything to do with that.

I remained professional, smiled, yes sir, no sir, and never raised my voice. Inside I was burning and wished I videotaped the encounter so I could show all of you how Honda is treating their customers. I guarantee that if i had pulled out my video camera, that meeting would have been terminated. I will make a follow up video shortly but here's the link to the youtube video that I had unlisted until today meeting, now it has gone public. I really got screwed over by honda and treated like absolute dog crap. I said by goodbyes to the people in the dealership that i've become friends with and left. Sadly it has come to this, there's so much more to say but I'll save that for another video :) Good luck to all that have ridgelines and I hope you never go thru what I just went thru. I wanted to be the PROUD owner of a new Honda but this was clearly not the case. I'm sorry this post is all over the place, i need a day or two to collect myself over this nonsense.

·
Administrator
13,313 Posts
Just watched your video. I feel your frustration and hate that you're dealing with these issues. If you chose to stop fighting this and never purchase another Honda, I wouldn't blame you at all. I'd probably want out from underneath it even if it cost me money. With the markup and discounts available on domestics, you might be able to swap even for a new Colorado, which would be my second choice below the Ridgeline.

The only other thing I can say at the moment is don't forget that the decision does not end with the Honda district rep's word. He has a boss. His boss has a boss. The hierarchy continues. I've had to work my way up to the Regional Vice President of my cable company before over pricing and service issues in order to get them resolved. I might even be inclined to take a road trip to Torrence, California and show them in person what you're dealing with.

·
Registered
26 Posts
When you say the tolerance is 2 mm, are you saying the gag at the widest compared to the narrowest shouldn't be more than 2 mm different? or are you saying the door should not stick outward more than 2 mm compared to the rest of the body/door panels? My driver's side is crooked too, 3 mm difference between the widest and narrowest part, because of that, the driver's side window upper right corner sticks out about 2 mm. It closes just fine as far as I can tell. I'm hesitant to try to have them "fix" it as it's purely cosmetic as far as I can tell. and I don't want to risk having them screwing it up more. My vehicle's black so the gap isn't as visible.

On a second note, the trim piece at the front end of the bed that's just below the back window has either became warped or was warped all along. It has a quarter inch gap that's letting water in. The dealership is replacing the entire front panel of the bed for me.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Sad to see. I want this truck but if this is how they treat folks I'm done buying Honda's. That district rep sounds like a real piece of work. What I don't get, is why the district rep wouldn't want to put you in a loaner and fix all these things that are wrong with it. Hell throw in some accessories, whatever you want, for free, after fixing each and every issue. You'd think Honda corporate would want the truck to figure out why this happened and what's really wrong with it. A good company would confiscate the truck, and tear into it to fix it all. Sounds like Honda has changed and there is a lot of problems coming out of this Alabama plant. Lots of members here with various issues with these trucks from small to major. It seems Honda knows about the Quality Control problems and it's hit and miss.

I'd find this guy's boss, and start writing either emails or registered mail. If this district rep wants a war congratulations, you got it sir. You know nothing of customer service or brand loyalty. You should be fired. Maybe try barber school.

I've owned a S2000, a NSX, as well as various Acuras and Honda models automobiles, and a Honda truck. I've bought 6 Honda Sportbikes and Sport Tourers. 2 Honda pieces of lawn equipment. No more of my money if long time loyal customers are treated like this.

How many Honda's have you owned prior?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Yeah this has gone off the deep end. I've never been treated this way and felt completely brushed off. For him to not care about forums, customer feedback is insane. All he was there to do was argue with me about the door gap and hesitation and try to prove that it's not a problem and that I was the problem. All they wanted was my signature on a piece of paper stating They couldn't duplicate the problem therefore there wasn't a problem. There are already people subscribing to my youtube channel to see what the follow up videos and outcome will be. It's already circulating on facebook, other websites and local airwaves as we speak.

Prior hondas I've owned:

2002 Accord Coupe EX
2006 Civic Si
1998 CR-V EX
2006 CR-V SE
2014 CR-V EX-L
2015 CR-V EX-L
2014 CR-V EX-L w/NAV
2006 S2000
2017 Ridgeline RTL

·
Super Moderator
22,844 Posts
I think the video is well done and that you calmly and reasonably covered the issues. I hope you will get some lemon signs for the sides of your truck. Between the video and the signs, I would like to think it will force Honda to rectify the issue.

While I hate to think you would have to jump through hoops like this to get satisfaction, it appears to be the only way to get their attention.

Good luck and keep us informed.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
thank you speed. There's a few gripes in the video, not necessarily a lemon/problem, but a hiccup none the less in the total experience of ownership of my 2017 Honda Ridgeline. There's more issues with the vehicle, but they aren't interested in trying to resolve them, they just want me to go away and that's the WRONG approach.

·
Registered
276 Posts
GTRdone,

You are handling this more calmly than I would. You really are.
i wouldn't let someone talk to me/treat me as you have described them doing to you, without having a few words, and then some, with them, their manager, and that person's manager.

I would have also pulled out a personal/small video recorder, or my phone, and started recording right off and asked, on camera, if they mind that I record their conversation with me so I can refer to it later to make sure I did understand everything correctly ;)

I haven't purchased a G2 yet, and with the issues, I am not so certain right now. Yes, we are seeing a small population here on the forums, and a population that is enthusiastic and so may not represent everyone, but, given the numbers we are seeing, and low sales volume, it is troubling.

I was ready, last December, to walk in to a Toyota dealership and immediately purchase a 2016 Tacoma. I went to the Toyota forums and read what many that had purchased the Tacoma were saying. I read about some major issues. I watched what went on.

I read Doobiewah's issue and reports. Similar parallels to yours, in some ways, and that issue, and a few others, with how Toyota was handling the issues and people, drove me away (no pun intended).

So, I ended up here. Again, I was ready to make the purchase immediately when I test drove a RTL-T IF they could get me a RTL-E, in blue, and at a reasonable price.

No blue, MSRP (not reasonably priced TO ME). I started watching these forums every day or two.

The issues that have been popping up have piqued my interest. Watching your engagement with Honda is something I have really been watching. The dealership is one story, as I understand they are unto themselves, largely, when it comes to stuff like this and not Honda itself.

However, the blowing off by Honda, when you have attempted to engage them, tells me that their customer service, as well as their attention to detail, has spiraled downwards.

I am now debateable on this truck :(

It's one thing to put down $45,000+ (taxes, etc) and get something, and then have an issue.

It's another thing to put down that much and have an issue and get blown off.

I have worked with internal, and external, customers in the high tech industry for over 20+ years. Some of those customers spent not just millions with us, but HUNDREDS of millions. Some spent a lot less. I, and my teams, treated them all with the same respect. Just like we would want ourselves, our wives, and our mothers to be treated. Doing so, it got to the point that we could be honest about anything with them, when it would come to an issue, and they knew we would do what we could. No BS, no magic pixie dust. Just honesty and trying to do what was right.

I don't see that with Honda in how you have relayed your experience to us.

That is sometimes indicative of many other issues within an organization, which can show itself in (lack of) quality of the products. It concerns me and Honda may have lost a future customer (who was also a past customer for years).

Honda - if anyone from corporate reads this, you have a MAJOR problem, not only in the issues showing up on this product, but also in how WE, as paying customer (or not), will deal (or not) with you going forward.

·
Registered
246 Posts
1) Always get a print out of the service with your comments/issues documented in print out.
2) I had a 07 Toyota Tacoma that had the same tranny issue about every 15K miles and then a Tundra that had brakes that squealed & metal shavings in the oil, not flakes but shavings and they said: On that Tacoma after the 3rd time and a new tranny that it was just a noise and the shavings in the oil & the squealing in the Tundra was normal. I will never buy another Toyota.
3) Honda is pulling the strings. The dealer sells the cars but they get less $ / hr from Honda to fix warranty issues and they're probably limited on hours. So Honda has to approve the overage. Also, they people are mechanics and not experienced in body shop issues which is about 50% of your issues.
4) Some '03 Subaru WRXs had an issue with ABS where if you were on the brakes and hit a bump the ABS would kick in and you couldn't stop. I had one of those cars. Traded it for an 05. Shortly after they had a TSB for the issue but at the time they could not duplicate it. They are now having issues with oil consumption.

Some percentage of all cars are lemons. Yours was probably made on a Monday. I just bought an RL and waiting for delivery and I'm a lil worried about the hesitation issue. Seems like the rest can be detected visually.

Have you tried your state attorney general? I'd file a complaint with the BBB on your dealership. I'd sue them under the lemon law.
You should show the hesitation and the brake shake if you can in a video. I think you can also stand out on the public sidewalk in front of the dealership with a sign. That will scare potential buyers and maybe get them to be more cooperative.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I agree with others that you have been very mature, patient, and reasonable about your G2 issues..........and being treated very poorly as a customer. Some people rant and rave inappropriately and unreasonably and don't even provide adequate opportunity for a dealer/manufacturer to repair or resolve an issue. That's not at all what I see here.

Keep pressing upward through Honda corporate structure and perhaps parallel legal course. Sorry for your unfortunate experiences and best of luck.

·
Super Moderator
22,844 Posts
I still like the idea of lemon signs on the sides of his truck. That won't involve spending time in front of the dealer's shop and will potentially be seen by more people when he's driving around. He can also put the link to his Youtube video on the signs too. ;)

Honda, you need to take care of business. If customers are not the #1 priority for your business, then you are on the wrong track and I predict it will only go downhill from there.

Reasonable people can disagree on issues. But there should be some standard industry acceptable levels of performance that, when exceeded, should be dealt with by the factory. This case has all the appearance of being outside those parameters. Especially the hesitation issue and the door fitment issue.

And if you like, I can show you door fitment issues from a G1 RL which I wrote you about, supplying pictures. At the time (2008) I was contacted by Honda and offered reimbursement for the issue... which was cosmetic only, but still, not representative of the fit and finish of a Honda product. While my fitment issue wasn't physically resolved, I felt that Honda was making a reasonable attempt to address the issue and was satisfied with the outcome.

My only reason for the contact was to alert Honda to what I perceived to be a production/QC problem. I was pleasantly surprised to get a call and be offered a resolution.

It does not appear that the Honda of today still has that measure of customer appreciation and attention to detail.

·
Administrator
13,313 Posts
All they wanted was my signature on a piece of paper stating They couldn't duplicate the problem therefore there wasn't a problem.
Do WHAT? Seriously? That's almost comical! So much of your experience just seems surreal. I'll be glad when Honda replaces or buys back your vehicle - this is stressing ME out. ;)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Well, it looks like they've brought out the "bad cop." Maybe its time to see if rattling their cage a bit might get them to send out the "good cop."

Some TV stations have a local "Consumer Advocate" reporter. Often they can work wonders after all efforts by the customer have failed; whether it is just the unwanted publicity or the advocate's knowledge of consumer law, somehow they get the job done.

Of course, they probably get more requests than they can handle, so your case would have to be one that is "good television."

(Please forgive me if I'm repeating myself here. I know I already suggested this somewhere awhile back, but I can't recall if it was here or in someone else's tale of Ridgeline woes.)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Sadly it's come to this.. I may go the lemon route since they don't want to buy it back, or I may just trade it in. As much as i tried to love this vehicle, every time i grab the door handle to get in, i'm reminded of the door gap problem, the existing hesitation problem that they don't want to address, and the meeting with that swine that represents honda corporate. What happened to great customer service, i.e. the customer is always right? Their motto is: screw the customer, these cars cal sell themselves... It's okay, i'll continue to make youtube videos and give them some free advertising. I'll talk about this on the air for the next 40 years.

I did however share my experience with a manager of another dealership and he replied "If anyone did that at our dealership, the owner would come down here and fire them on the spot!" Honda, you lost me, my family, my friends, and several other people of this forum and including youtube viewers based of the rapid amount of views and comments as in the video. All because of the district rep that chose to argue with me and put the blame on me, not to mention flat out state that he did not care about the people, comments, concerns, etc of my posts, polls, or anyone else on this forum. That man should be fired immediately.

I hope everyone else is having a good weekend :) I'll chime in from time to time, if you need to get a hold of me immediately, send me a PM or comment in one of the youtube videos. :)

·
Super Moderator
22,844 Posts
At this point I suggest you sleep on it for a week or so and let the emotions bleed away. I think you'll be in a better frame of mind to make your next decisions as regards trading, etc. No point in hurting yourself or digging a hole for yourself while the fires are still burning.

As I recall, I think the service manager was on your side. But I don't get the GM's attitude. And there's simply no accounting for the Honda rep's attitude and demeanor.

Anyway, just don't jump out of the frying pan into the fire!

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
Lemon law attorneys everywhere and will not cost you nearly the loss you are looking at.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
The fit-and-finish issues are real, but the intermittent hesitation would scare me the most...too bad you couldn't include that in your video. IMO, the dealership has "locked on" to the theory that you've got buyers remorse about getting an RTL and are just doing this to get a swap for an RTL-E. I suspect they convinced the Honda rep of this storyline before you even met him, but that in no way excuses how he treated you. He should have given you preference as the customer who paid big money for a new truck and expected a higher standard from Honda.

I'm not surprised that a car rep or dealer would say they don't care about public forums or opinion polls. They are dismissing social media in the hope that you won't bother to follow through with your campaign. Joe once said that if Honda doesn't get on top of the QC issues at HMA real fast, there will be a serious meltdown. Sales data suggest the meltdown hasn't happened yet, but I think they are playing with fire. The flame has been lit by falling initial quality reports and slipping CR reliability ratings.

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
Can find more talk of hesitation on Pilots forums....

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
I'm putting together hesitation videos as we speak. It's hard to include the tach and position of the gas pedal in one shot one handed. I am demonstrating that there is a delay when turning and applying moderate power, and demonstrating that there's no hesitation from a dead stop, increasing power over 30 mph, highway speeds, and while decelerating. In those last situations when I tap the gas pedal the tach needle moves instantly. It's hard to hear, but you can hear the gas pedal hitting the floor followed by a 1-2 second pause in needle movement or engine sound. in some videos I will also say "applying throttle - NOW" and you can see no movement on the tach. It's sad that the rep chose to argue with me, and only try this 3 times before writing it off as "unable to duplicate" just like my door rattle, they say it doesnt exist until we hear it. I should dropthe damn truck off so they can investigate it early in the morning while it's still cold,that's the only time it seems to do it. Sad it's come down to this. No one takes your word anymore, they have to have 3 witnesses or video. Even if i had video, these schmucks would be the caliber of people that would say i added in sound effects or edited the video somehow to make it seem worse than it really was LOL... anyways, at this point I'm making these videos for my own personal satisfaction. I'm going to make huge signs and stick them on the vehicle and park it in front of each news station and a phone number in case they want to contact me for a story :) I'm also looking at renting a huge billboard from my buddy right on the main highway that leads to the dealership. THAT will be awesome!

81 - 100 of 115 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.