Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been about two months now, right? Here in coastal Southern California I have yet to see any of the following:

- A 2017 Ridgeline on the road
- A Ridgeline mentioned in a Honda radio advertisement (and we hear radio advertisements for Southern California Honda dealers all the time)
- A Ridgeline mentioned in a Honda TV advertisement (and we see TV advertisements for Southern California Honda dealers all the time)
- A Ridgeline mentioned in a Honda dealer newspaper advertisement

The inventory of Ridgelines is pathetic - within 100 miles of my house (which covers all of San Diego county, Orange County, Palm Springs area, Long Beach, and much of Los Angeles) there are a few Black and E available.

They obviously aren't flying off the lot or I'd see them all them everywhere. So Honda must be drip-feeding these into the market. What gives?

· Registered
970 Posts
If you watched the Olympics, ever other commercial is a Ridgeline. First year production run is 40,000. They've been selling over 3,000 per month. My guess is that they are selling them as fast as they are making them
Yes, If I understand it correctly, the Alabama plant is already at capacity producing the RL as well as the Pilot and other high demand vehicles. To increase production they would have to decrease other models that are also selling well and have a more proven sales record. I think Honda is taking it slow to see how it goes. Can't blame them after the low G1 sales...

· Registered
3,009 Posts
My goodness is it ever. I've been watching the games and it's every nitht ten times a night it seems. It got so bad I started dvr'ing it just so I can FF through all the commercials.
I started doing this too. Way too many commercials & BS. You get 10 minutes of competition & 50 minutes of BS in an hour. If I never see another commercial I'll be fine.

· Registered
166 Posts
Here in Atlanta, lots of stock between all the dealers, however, they don't stay on the lots... I did quite a bit of research, and visited a number of dealers repeatedly before buying, and the inventory was turning over quickly...

I can't say I watch for RLs on the road, although, I've passed a few in the last week... multiple trims (can tell from a distance by the rear sliding window, or lack thereof, and the AWD badge, or not, on the tailgate).

Lots of work went into this truck... Easy to see that from watching the multiple reviews alone. It certainly wasn't a "let's test market something for a little bit, and see if it has legs" thing...
They have to sell a huge boatload of new RLs just to recover their engineering investment alone...

· Registered
3,009 Posts
Here in Atlanta, lots of stock between all the dealers, however, they don't stay on the lots... I did quite a bit of research, and visited a number of dealers repeatedly before buying, and the inventory was turning over quickly...

I can't say I watch for RLs on the road, although, I've passed a few in the last week... multiple trims (can tell from a distance by the rear sliding window, or lack thereof, and the AWD badge, or not, on the tailgate).

Lots of work went into this truck... Easy to see that from watching the multiple reviews alone. It certainly wasn't a "let's test market something for a little bit, and see if it has legs" thing...
They have to sell a huge boatload of new RLs just to recover their engineering investment alone...
Not as much engineering went in this truck as you think.

· Registered
166 Posts
Not as much engineering went in this truck as you think.
Yeah, I realize the power plant is somewhat borrowed from the Pilot, and some of the electronics from the Pilot and CR-V. However, they redesigned the entire unibody frame, introduced AWD w/ torque vectoring, full independent suspension, etc.

Additionally, everything about the cab has been redesigned to allow for the larger dimensions, the pull up rear seats, lighting, arm-rests and center console, etc. Additionally, the bed and tailgate have received obvious new updates and features, not to mention the overall lines of the truck are completely re-done.

Add that up, and the additional engineering required to retool, and make it all orchestrate, is formidable...

· Registered
1,781 Posts
Yeah, I realize the power plant is somewhat borrowed from the Pilot, and some of the electronics from the Pilot and CR-V. However, they redesigned the entire unibody frame, introduced AWD w/ torque vectoring, full independent suspension, etc.

Additionally, everything about the cab has been redesigned to allow for the larger dimensions, the pull up rear seats, lighting, arm-rests and center console, etc. Additionally, the bed and tailgate have received obvious new updates and features, not to mention the overall lines of the truck are completely re-done.

Add that up, and the additional engineering required to retool, and make it all orchestrate, is formidable...
Sounds like you've inhaled their marketing. It's a pilot with a bed. Most of us are just fine with that but it is what it is. Not as much engineering went into it as you think.

· Registered
5 Posts
Limited production and demand may be the reason they are a bit hard to find. I bought mine 2 weeks ago. At the time there were no E models I was looking for available within 300 miles (Central Fl). Dealer had 6 to choose from when I arrived at 10 am. When I left at 3 pm with the new truck, 4 were sold (and were from walk ins, not pre orders).

· Registered
166 Posts
Sounds like you've inhaled their marketing. It's a pilot with a bed. Most of us are just fine with that but it is what it is. Not as much engineering went into it as you think.
You may be right... I'm not an automotive expert... just reciting a few points of consensus by a number of reviewers that are...

· Registered
417 Posts
You may be right... I'm not an automotive expert... just reciting a few points of consensus by a number of reviewers that are...
He is exactly right....it's a pilot with a bed. Very little exclusive content here when compared to most full new model developments.
Many G1 carry-over & revised parts as well. It's a very cost effective way to develop a new product.

The down-side is, numerous compromises. You can't necessarily make the best possible vehicle that you set out to.

One of the problems with Honda lately, IMO, ....they've become too cost & profit driven the last few years, thus their steep decline in quality & customer satisfaction.

In spite of all that, they still have the best-in-class PU. But, is it as good as it could have been....? :wink:

· Registered
4,166 Posts
It's been about two months now, right? Here in coastal Southern California I have yet to see any of the following:

- A 2017 Ridgeline on the road
- A Ridgeline mentioned in a Honda radio advertisement (and we hear radio advertisements for Southern California Honda dealers all the time)
- A Ridgeline mentioned in a Honda TV advertisement (and we see TV advertisements for Southern California Honda dealers all the time)
- A Ridgeline mentioned in a Honda dealer newspaper advertisement

The inventory of Ridgelines is pathetic - within 100 miles of my house (which covers all of San Diego county, Orange County, Palm Springs area, Long Beach, and much of Los Angeles) there are a few Black and E available.

They obviously aren't flying off the lot or I'd see them all them everywhere. So Honda must be drip-feeding these into the market. What gives?
Where you been they have been all over the Olympic Games Honda is putting out big money for their ad. The Ridgeline TV ad debut during the opening ceremony of the Olympic Games and aired through-out the Games.
Also seen a few dealer ads for you to come in and see or test new Ridgeline.
They are getting plenty of focus in magazine ads. Wait until football season really starts they are going to play up the ultimate tailgate truck.
I have not seen any on road myself just yet but they way it looks like Black Edition RTL-E and RTL-T models are hot and hard to get your hands on. It will take time for them to just pop up everywhere. I am just starting to see Honda Pilots in bunches in DC metro area they have been out a year already. So G2 Ridgeline's not just going to appear like that even though they are selling and out there. I did not see many here until 2008 but unlike then the G2 Ridgeline should sell more and we will see them more. One month is not enough time.
In 1993 I got one of the first redesign Honda Accord a few days after release date. It took me two weeks to see another one and I was out and about every day in DC and Maryland suburbs. Also in the Baltimore area suburbs as I went to my aunts house on weekends. It was a good month to finally see a vehicle as popular as an Accord start showing up more often. I had been a Honda owner since 1980 and had just traded a 3year old 1990 Accord I could spot the new ones from a distance front or back end.

· Registered
1,506 Posts
He is exactly right....it's a pilot with a bed. Very little exclusive content here when compared to most full new model developments.
Many G1 carry-over & revised parts as well. It's a very cost effective way to develop a new product.

The down-side is, numerous compromises. You can't necessarily make the best possible vehicle that you set out to.

One of the problems with Honda lately, IMO, ....they've become too cost & profit driven the last few years, thus their steep decline in quality & customer satisfaction.

In spite of all that, they still have the best-in-class PU. But, is it as good as it could have been....? :wink:
Actually, a "beef up" Pilot... >:)
It's like you take a Toyota and put a TRD kit/package on it ! :wink:

But I do agreed...Honda's QA/QC gates are lacking of late :(

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.