Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 Ridgeline with slightly over 185,000 miles. In the last 4 weeks have gotten the bad news from my (extremely reliable) mechanic that I need to replace all 4 brakes & calipers, replace a cracked front bushing, and I need new valves. All in all, I'm looking at a bill of around $2K, give or take. I'm thinking that perhaps it's time to retire the old gal before something else major happens...I just can't afford these kinds of repair bills. Any advice: should I just suck it up, do the repairs, keep it & hope for the best, or maybe not do the brakes & just put it up for sale?

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E in pacific pewter metallic
2,718 Posts
My 08 has nearly 285,000 and I say keep yours. I had valves adjusted at about 200,000 but that's it for the engine. Brakes are a given. They do go bad and need to be replaced. I got lifetime replacement shocks and struts just after 125,000. So I won't have that expense again.

I would get a second opinion on replacing your valves.

There is a small crack in the left front bushing on mine. It's been there for over 100,000 miles and it doesn't seem to be growing.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,590 Posts
This is a decision that only you can make, but, Brakes are a wear item and should be removed from the equation. I was just shopping for a Valve Adjustment and was quoted $600 (independent mechanic/shop) & $700 (Local Stealership). I have only 102k miles, and I am seriously considering moving on from it. It supposedly has a value of about $9k, but if I fixed everything I could easily get to $8-9k worth of parts and labor even with me DIY’ng about 40-50% of it?

So, Welcome to the ROC,

Good Luck and Enjoy the Ride

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
On my 07 RL, last year I had timing belt service, motor mount, valve adjustment, spark plugs and oil/filter change at 102,000 miles. Cost was about $2200.00 by the dealership and to me worth it as I'll be keeping the vehicle for the long term. You might see if your rotors can be resurfaced, I had fronts done, that saved some $. As Carsmak said only you can make the decision but from my perspective, that much money alone would be needed to pay car taxes/license if I were to replace my RL.

Reactions: Carsmak

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
That's not bad honestly. You've racked up nearly 200k miles so service needs to be done. If you are happy with the truck I'd foot the bill and keep rolling. 2k is a lot cheaper than a new vehicle. With new valves (valves always have to be changed eventually) your motor will run like new. If you want to use it as an excuse to buy a new vehicle, at least be honest with yourself.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Ok here is my take, sold my 2007 rl back in June of this year, truck had new timing belt water pump, plugs, etc, put new tires on it puta new exhaust system on it, but it also needed ball joints valve adjustment and a few other thing, it seemed that it was starting to nickel and dime me, every time I spent money on fixing it it seemed something else went wrong. I bought a 2018 Ram 1500, great truck great gas mileage, nice ride.
With this being said, I now wish I would have spent the money to fix the things that needed to be fixed and kept the rl, not that I dislike theRam but I really miss the RL and the RL was paid for, now I have a car payment for the next 3 years. A neighbor bought my RL and I see it daily, spoke to the new owner and he loves it.
So in my opinion, put some money into your Ridge and keep it but it up to you.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
remember, you don't need to do them all at once either. Even the brake job can be split up to do the fronts and then the rears later.

You said you need new valves, but you might try a container of Techron in the tank to see if they are just carbon fouled - or if ticking, just an adjustment.

You didn't say how handy you are with a wrench. I just spent over $500 on the front brakes in parts and did the labor myself. BUT it doesn't have to be that expensive. Mine was that expensive because I wanted to upsize the rotors and calipers. If I were to put stock parts on it would have easily been less than half that cost all in.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Mine's at 187. The latest nickel and dime stuff, like the Dorman 924-798 dome switches and gear select switch, have been done. Another timing belt kit next year and I'll run it to 300. But I do all my own work and there really isn't that much to do on the Ridge.

If you're paying out for shop rate it could be a different story. Still, the 2K repairs would get eaten up in the first 6 months of new car payments.

I like a fully depreciated vehicle that is still reliable and cost effective. The golden years of ownership.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,857 Posts
Most of what your mechanic is suggesting sounds OK. Needing new valves??? That one needs some more explanation. Do you mean you need your valves adjusted? If not, what exactly has gone wrong with the valve train?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Great responses here already.

My 2 cents.

I have a 2006 rtl and am original owner. I’ve done all the work you listed, but only had valve adjustment at around 200k.

I’m currently at 469k and counting. Truck has been fantastic. I put a little money into the truck every year but nothing close to what I’d put into purchasing a new truck.

Still drives fantastic and gets the same MPG as when it was new.

Do the work and keep enjoying your Ridgeline.

Peace,

KT

·
Registered
56 Posts
My 06, that I bought new, also the best vehicle I’ve ever owned. I traded it in two years ago, the biggest factor was, wanting more technology. My 2017 Ridgeline gives me a lot of that hat I miss is the look and the utility. I loved the look of the original Ridgeline, it had no problem dealing with sandy gullies or Medium offloading in southern Utah. Haven’t taken the new won yet, but it clearly doesn’t have the approach Clarence, So I expected Knowes to be digging some sand. So I expected knows to be digging some sand but then I’m about to turn 62, and the new generation has a lot to help compensate for growing old!

Reactions: that604guy

·
Registered
770 Posts
The "Click and Clack Brothers" were a radio show about car repair and such. They could prove that once bought and paid for there was no logical reason to buy another car. No matter what was wrong with a car it was always cheaper to repair than to replace.

That said, there is something about that new car smell.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'd have dealership do valve adjustment and do the rest yourself. Heck the brake parts come to about $250 at Rock Auto and it's easy enough to do.

I was quoted by 1 dealer $2700 for 105k service, diff service, trans fluid change, spark plugs, & oil change. I did the plugs myself for $36, and had another dealer do the 105k and fluids for $890. Shop around all Honda dealers are NOT the same.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Many valid points made here already. I too agree with the sentiments made in defense of keeping it. I personally would rather mend the vehicle that has served me so well, brought me such owner satisfaction and will (very likely) continue to do so.
However if, as it seems is the case here, you are reluctant to pay for said repairs all at once, just consider the up front expense necessary to buy a new or used vehicle. Even if you did decide to part ways with the RL it’s value is diminished in its current state. And if these repairs were completed, while the overall value would improve it offers no guarantee of reliability or security regarding whatever vehicle you decide to bring home in its place. Obviously everyone here will encourage you to keep it because we are biased. But remember, we’re biased because we realize what we have in our vehicles. The RL is now of a limited lot. You can’t buy a (new)1st gen anymore and the ones that are available for purchase typically come at a premium price(for a used vehicle). There is a reason for that. You’ve got a good vehicle that has (from the sound of things) served you well to this point. While a new/newer vehicle could prove to be equally satisfying or reliable, consider that you’ve already got one that has proven its worth to you. A couple grand is a small price to pay for the level of owner satisfaction these vehicles typically offer. Bottom line, if you sell it you will likely regret it forever. I know I would. Cheers!

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,436 Posts
I have a 2006 Ridgeline with slightly over 185,000 miles. In the last 4 weeks have gotten the bad news from my (extremely reliable) mechanic that I need to replace all 4 brakes & calipers, replace a cracked front bushing, and I need new valves. All in all, I'm looking at a bill of around $2K, give or take. I'm thinking that perhaps it's time to retire the old gal before something else major happens...I just can't afford these kinds of repair bills. Any advice: should I just suck it up, do the repairs, keep it & hope for the best, or maybe not do the brakes & just put it up for sale?
I have to wonder if you can't afford a $2k repair bill on a 185k mile vehicle how you can afford payments on a new-to-you car?

I'm guessing what you really mean is that you don't like the thought of being nickled and dimed to death... which I fully understand.

If your RL is giving other symptom of unreliability... say in a major component like the transmission, then I might be in the same boat as you. OTOH, if I'm merely dealing with routine wear and tear items as you appear to be dealing with, then it's a no-brainer (unless you've seriously neglected the routine maintenance items on your truck).

I fully expect significant cost every 120k miles on my Pilot and RL when it comes time for the TB/WP service. But if I only have to spend $1500-2000 every 120k miles (outside routine maintenance), I consider that to be pretty economical for the reliability and comfort I get from said vehicles. It may not be as fun as driving a new vehicle every few years, but it sure impacts the wallet a lot less than those payments on the new vehicle would!

There are others here on the ROC who are uncomfortable when their vehicle approaches the end of warranty coverage. (and you know who you are!) Your wallet will determine your comfort level here.

From an economic perspective, assuming all else is equal, there's simply no justification to trade off repairs of wear and tear items for payments on a new(er) vehicle.

Now the issue of valves needing replaced... I really need to hear more about that. The valves need to be routinely serviced (I do it at the TB/WP service interval) as the exhaust valves typically wear into the seat and tighten up which could lead to burned valves if neglected.

·
Registered
552 Posts
If it is a purely a financial decision, then repair and keep it. The truck has a lot of life in it yet and if you spend a couple thousand now and plan on $500-1000 or so in repairs each year (beyond normal maintenance), it will cost you less to keep it. I don't know how registration works where you live, but mine went up a few hundred dollars on my new RL, and that alone could pay for much of your expected repairs. But if you drive to remote areas, you might want something newer that is likely to be more reliable.

I got a new one, however, because safety and convenience are important to me. The old RL, like all older vehicles) does terrible on the partial-offset crash test, the new one does great, and that simulates one of the most common types of accidents. And after driving my wife's car with cross-traffic alerts and a back-up camera it was clear that I wanted those things. And the new RL is faster and a bit quieter, and gets better gas mileage. My gas savings more than covers the increased registration fee, but of course I'm still out the money I paid for the new one.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Dont know where you live, if your the original owner, how you took care of it or worry how it looks. But it goes beyond replacement of mechanical parts, get down and dirty and get under it and evaluate the condition of the body and frame. Was it taken care of, will it last another 5 years to your liking without showing a ton of rust. How much do you expect to get out of it when the time comes when you need to change after spending 2 or more grand. Sometimes you must say good by to a good old friend and move on. I wish I could have kept my "06" but I cant afford three vehicles and even though mine was great I could see things coming down the pipe within a year or two and did the math.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Death, Taxes, Laundry and Brakes. All facts of life. Any vehicle you drive will consume brakes over time. The valves, mmmm. That's kind of weird. As others have said, what exactly is wrong with them?

Bottom line. If 2K was going to put me in a solid paid-for Ridge, I wouldn't hesitate.

That new car smell is real expensive in the long run. Good luck.

Reactions: Carsmak
1 - 20 of 25 Posts