Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
163 Posts
Rivian has vehicles rolling down the assembly line today, it is big news:

Rivian's backing is many billions and billions and includes classic big car makers and Amazon. Nikola was smoke and mirrors, no product, no fair comparison here.

See the reviews very recently posted for Rivian with Motortrend, including multipart series of real product in cross country off road test drives. I never looked twice at Nikola, the Rivian is real, in production....and getting impressive reviews.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E Obsidian Blue Pearl, "The Blue Pearl"
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They did make a big deal about their "tank turn" feature that sounds like it's a bust according to Motor Trend. Not a deal breaker though.

163 Posts
What Motortrend actually said is the feature is delayed because very complicated software needed to make it safe so you don't shoot off in some random direction when the ground is not totally level and equally slick.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
IMO it's way to many variables for the average driver, wheel spin, breaking traction, consistent surface. This will likely become more than a delay.
And Rivian knew 2 years ago that they didn't have this quite right.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E in pacific pewter metallic
2,712 Posts
IMO it's way to many variables for the average driver, wheel spin, breaking traction, consistent surface. This will likely become more than a delay.
Like is said, parlor trick. Probably use it like I use my RTL-E's external speakers. Tried them once.

·
Registered
2006 Ridgeline RT
426 Posts
Still absolutely zero comparison between a feature delay (Tesla is very familiar with that) and Nikola which literally had to plug in their electric vehicles to do demonstrations....

The fact that they have a single working model with 95% of the promised features means they are in a different league and not worth comparison

If you want to complain about the tank turn feature I'm all for it, but bringing up Nikola is unfair to Rivian

163 Posts
Yep, tank turn is a fun trick that nobody actually needs and number of orders that will be cancelled because of that feature delay will be about zero.

Reviews are coming in so good that Rivian is piling up new orders. I have driven a McLaren around race tracks and what really caught my attention was the comparison to active suspension in McLaren exotics. Love the idea that this truck can have compliance and 14 inches of ground clearance offroad and then blast curves very flat when on the road.

·
Registered
2006 Ridgeline RT
426 Posts
Yep, tank turn is a fun trick that nobody actually needs and number of orders that will be cancelled because of that feature delay will be about zero.

Reviews are coming in so good that Rivian is piling up new orders. I have driven a McLaren around race tracks and what really caught my attention was the comparison to active suspension in McLaren exotics. Love the idea that this truck can have compliance and 14 inches of ground clearance offroad and then blast curves very flat when on the road.
Almost 7 inches of adjustable clearance is unmatched. Honestly if I had the money to buy one I would place an order today

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree that Rivian (excluding the price) is bad ass! But to hype a feature they knew really didn't work for the consumer market, when they had so much to hype already is a bit annoying.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I agree that Rivian (excluding the price) is bad ass! But to hype a feature they knew really didn't work for the consumer market, when they had so much to hype already is a bit annoying.
They at least might have said "we may even have tank turn if we can work out the bugs".

163 Posts
And Tesla hype for Autopilot has always been years behind reality....so what. With Tesla the feature is useful and is getting ever better. The Rivian tank turn is a fun trick, they are working on it, but none of us actually need it.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Maybe the title of my post was too harsh...maybe I should change it.

·
Registered
2006 Ridgeline RT
426 Posts
It's both part of the marketing process and a product of the entire industry. Not to mention least of all is Amazon as a primary investor, they are probably most notorious of all for big promises and underdelivery

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,849 Posts
Forgive me if this has been discussed in the reviews . . .What are the exact bed dimensions of the Rivian and can you lay a 4x8 sheet flat in the bed?

·
Registered
2006 Ridgeline RT
426 Posts
Forgive me if this has been discussed in the reviews . . .What are the exact bed dimensions of the Rivian and can you lay a 4x8 sheet flat in the bed?
The R1 is about the size of a half ton with a similar bed I'm not 100% sure about the length but it is definitely as wide as a full size bed

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E in pacific pewter metallic
2,712 Posts
I just checked out the dimensions of the bed. 50" between the fender wheel arcs. 54" inside with tailgate up. 83.6" with tailgate down and no gap shows between bed and tailgate. With tailgate down it should be able to haul a lot of plywood.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts