Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought My Ridgeline a month ago. Before purchasing I did internet research. At that time I concluded that the Ridgeline was basically going for MSRP. Yesterday being curious I checked out internet pricing for Ridgelines. I found that the going price is considerbly less than MSRP. But not at Invoice. www.carsdirect.com. I'm wondering why? In 2000 we bought a Odyssey at MSRP. It was an in demand vehicle without the supply. so the price stayed escalated for years. The Odyssy has held its value very well. I was thinking that the Ridgeline would be the same way. Any thoughts on why the price is dropping.

FYI - I actually got my ridgeline for less than MSRP. So based on my research I got a good deal. :) . But I did trade in 2 vehicles. And you never feel like you get enough on trade ins.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Prices are definitely dropping, even in areas where they once went for over MSRP.

I think part of it is that they are not selling as 'quickly' as they thought they might. I think Honda sold just over 10,000 RL's in first three months, which would put sales (if the average stayed the same) at about 40,000 for the year. I think they planned on making (or selling) 50,000 for the first year. RL's are even available for lease now, so there's not a short supply as some would want you to believe.

I went to the dealership I bought my RL two months ago. They had 13 on the lot. Last month they had 12-13 (some different colors, so they are selling some) as well when my friend bought his.

So nobody should be paying MSRP now....

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
meanmachine19 said:
Prices are definitely dropping, even in areas where they once went for over MSRP.

I think part of it is that they are not selling as 'quickly' as they thought they might. I think Honda sold just over 10,000 RL's in first three months, which would put sales (if the average stayed the same) at about 40,000 for the year. I think they planned on making (or selling) 50,000 for the first year. RL's are even available for lease now, so there's not a short supply as some would want you to believe.
While your numbers are pretty accurate, the press from Honda doesn't hold this to be really true. They are planning to push their production of the first year to 80k cars instead of 50k cars, but remember the first year is going from March 2005 to September 2006. So Honda is selling more than it anticipated, but few are buying $30k trucks these days with GM and everyone else discounting their vehicles so much. So Honda dealers need to sweeten the deal a little. People are still paying will over Invoice for the most part, and the hold back on the Ridgeline is pretty generous (over $1k).

I did get offered a vehicle at $500 under invoice, but I had already signed for my truck and given the way the relationship was handled I stuck with my purchase. Thus my signature. I have had at least 3 people walk up to me in the 3 days I had my Ridgeline out on the road asking what I thought of it, and if they should try it since they were considering buying a new truck. Every one of them said they would definitely take it out for a drive even after I told them what MSRP was for the vehicle. Everyone knows you can bargain under MSRP on any vehicle if you are willing to hold out long enough. Even a Lexus can be had under price if you hold out enough and the end of the month is coming and they haven't sold much of anything.

Remember that MSRP is almost 4k over Invoice on the high end model, then there is the 1k under the Invoice that they have in hold back money. That makes the vehicle at least 5k over what the dealer is going to pay for it. That is a lot of room for them to play in.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I was quoted the following

"2006 Honda Ridgel Rtl Nav V6 with Navigation $31,675.00"

I assume that the destination charge of 500 would be added. Still, much lower then the MSRP!

They do not seem to be selling fast- Especially with the great sales going on with other vehicles.
I have been waiting it out and if I can get the 1.9% with the above on one that is dry after a rainstorm, I will end the wait.

·
Registered
774 Posts
NJRidge said:

I assume that the destination charge of 500 would be added. Still, much lower then the MSRP!

They do not seem to be selling fast- Especially with the great sales going on with other vehicles.
I have been waiting it out and if I can get the 1.9% with the above on one that is dry after a rainstorm, I will end the wait.
That's $1500 less than I bought the RTL with sunroof and without nav 3 months ago! :( No kidding that pricing is dropping. Gas prices aren't helping the cause.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
denvrfan said:
That's $1500 less than I bought the RTL with sunroof and without nav 3 months ago! :( No kidding that pricing is dropping. Gas prices aren't helping the cause.
Unless your cause is buying one, in which case it certainly is helping ;).

Still the market is so inflated with vehicles right now it is hard for anyone to make a large profit on a vehicle. Add to that the fact is that Honda is still on schedule to sell more cars than they originally planned to produced before the next year's run starts. And Honda is doing pretty well with the Ridgeline.

I am not surprised to see prices dropping to this level quickly, you still don't see incentive money on the Ridgeline and no special financing when every thing else seems to be getting this at this time.

·
Registered
484 Posts
NJRidge said:

That's what I paid a month ago. :)

·
Registered
561 Posts
I would suggest three issues are primarily driving price:

1) When a new and trendsetting model comes out, car manufacturers and dealers are always uncertain whether they are going to have a major success, with people lining up for them and vehicles selling over MSRP, or a tepid response. I think with all the favorable press, dealers thought these were going to sell very well and hung in there with MSRP pricing. As the vehicles sit on the lot, they are probably realizing that for now anyway, they've got to price more competitively. Not as if the Ridgeline is going to be an immediate, blow out the doors seller.

2) The American car companies are having major problems selling vehicles, causing GM to sell everything at the employee discount (according to their ads). That inevitably puts downward pressure on competitors, as people ask themselves, do I want to pay X thousand more for the Ridgeline than I would have to pay for the Silverado (or whatever).

3) The unique design of the Ridgeline continues to confound many people, I think. It's like the old Life cereal commercials. They don't want to try something new. We're Mikey. We get the first bite of the great stuff. But it's a chicken and egg thing. When there aren't a lot of these vehicles on the road, people tend to be cautious and wonder why. Is it because other people don't like it? If that's the case, maybe they won't. Etc., etc. Vehicles sell according to what the market will pay. Less interest drives down price. I think this vehicle is fantastic and it's clear from this site that many others do as well, but making that move from traditional tried and true to adopting a new approach is tough for many, especially when it's the biggest purchase they typically make in their lives, other than a house.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts