Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
The case was made for Ridgeline long ago.
Ford made a uni-body pickup truck for 1961-1963 it was used for F-100s and F-250s short beds and long beds
They were called style side models so any argument against the Ridgeline would be it is uni-body.
So Ford made some seems they were called pickup trucks.

·
Super Moderator
12,856 Posts
Jason Gonderman, editor of Truck Trend, was a guest speaker at the 2019 TAWA Texas Truck Rodeo that I attended last week. Truck Trend considers the Ridgeline to be a "truck" because it has an open bed. Jason is a big fan of the Ridgeline and hopes that future competition will have a positive effect on it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The following is the definition of a pickup truck in Websters online dictionary:
5: a light truck having an enclosed cab and an open body with low sides and tailgate

Now, given that definition, one could definitely take issue with those full size BOF owners about whether they have a real "pickup truck". A pickup is supposed to have, "low sides". IMHO, there is nothing low about the sides of every recently produced full size truck out there. One needs a step ladder to do anything in the bed. Recently we were camped in a state park and I saw a young guy pull out a 4 step step ladder to enter the back of his full size "pickup truck." This is exactly why I bought my RTLE.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Of course it is a truck! Just because it does not have a sub-frame, doesn't matter.
Is a Tesla a car? Doesn't have a gas engine.
It is the best SUV and Truck. Rides nicely and quietly. Has a great interior.
Love my 2019 RTL-E 'Truck'.
Love hearing the whimpering insecure people cry, 'it is not a real truck'. I ask them if they are as smart as a 5-year-old? Ask any kid 1 to 16 and they will say of course it is a truck.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Are the Chevy el Camino, GMC Caballero, or Ford Ranchero considered trucks with the current definitions provided here? Owning several "trucks" and a couple of el Caminos over the past fifty some years, I would consider the Ridgeline more on the line of a modern version of the el Camino, and I do not mean that in a derogatory way by any means!

Bill

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I no longer care what anyone calls this vehicle. It's my opinion that the majority of the USA are completely consumed with "image." Constantly wasting their own money going into debt to impress people they do not know. Buying 30k, 40k vehicles to impress people they don't own. Buying image things 24/7. Obviously many of us here are not that, at all, or we'd be in Raptors, or some 4X4 model driving to work. Look at marketing, reality, and start ignoring this fake life so prevalent on commercial advertisements and social media. Someone tells you it isn't a truck, tell them you'll agree once they start signing your paychecks.

·
Super Moderator
12,856 Posts
Are the Chevy el Camino, GMC Caballero, or Ford Ranchero considered trucks with the current definitions provided here? Owning several "trucks" and a couple of el Caminos over the past fifty some years, I would consider the Ridgeline more on the line of a modern version of the el Camino, and I do not mean that in a derogatory way by any means!

Bill
The vehicles you listed along with the Dodge Rampage and Subaru Brat are classified as "coupé utility".

Ford referred to the first of those - the Ranchero - as a pickup truck.

"More than a car . . . more than a truck . . . the Ranchero is a new idea in motor vehicles!"

"It's the only pickup truck that rides, handles and feels exactly like a car!"

·
Registered
13 Posts
Some smartass friend of mine joked that I bought a girl's truck. My reply was, "Well, it's a good thing I don't measure my d**k with my truck." He had no comeback.

·
Registered
301 Posts
This whole controversy seems so weird. Why would anyone be so emotionally invested in denying the Ridgeline the status of a truck? I don't even feel like it's worth arguing about. It's more interesting trying figure out the psychology of these people...to a point. It's like a lot of people who seem to get weirdly angry about electric vehicles. Unless you have everything tied up in oil stocks (disclaimer, I work in the O&G industry), what do you care what moves that vehicle?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Ford referred to the first of those - the Ranchero - as a pickup truck.

"More than a car . . . more than a truck . . . the Ranchero is a new idea in motor vehicles!"

"It's the only pickup truck that rides, handles and feels exactly like a car!"
And that is a pretty accurate description of the Ridgeline, is it not?

Bill

·
Registered
434 Posts
Then there was the Cameo, which beat the Ranchero to the game. This one was a block from where we live in the winter. The guy said he owns 5 of them. Lots of El Caminos and a few Rancheros out there as well. I have a friend who's had El Caminos most of his life. He's 65. Looks like Detroit has this idea first. Honda just tagged onto it 50 years later :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts