Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
I have to confess before I had a license the El Camino was my top pick. But but the time I was driving they were pretty well all done, Either junked or way too nice for me.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I no longer care what anyone calls this vehicle. It's my opinion that the majority of the USA are completely consumed with "image." Constantly wasting their own money going into debt to impress people they do not know. Buying 30k, 40k vehicles to impress people they don't own. Buying image things 24/7. Obviously many of us here are not that, at all, or we'd be in Raptors, or some 4X4 model driving to work. Look at marketing, reality, and start ignoring this fake life so prevalent on commercial advertisements and social media. Someone tells you it isn't a truck, tell them you'll agree once they start signing your paychecks.
This ^^^^^ nails it.

Pretty sure I've hauled more sh%t in my G1 than most "real truck" people, and certainly the Raptor types, and bought it for like 17k used almost 9 years ago, and it's still great to drive.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Just happened to read a few reviews of the 2019 RL that I hadn't seen before -- I'm amazed at how much hate the Ridgeline STILL gets in the comments from Bros that can't stand it when anyone calls it a truck. I don't really care what they think but it's kinda pathetic that they are so compelled to defend the "real truck" image from any interlopers who don't fit their criteria.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Just happened to read a few reviews of the 2019 RL that I hadn't seen before -- I'm amazed at how much hate the Ridgeline STILL gets in the comments from Bros that can't stand it when anyone calls it a truck. I don't really care what they think but it's kinda pathetic that they are so compelled to defend the "real truck" image from any interlopers who don't fit their criteria.

People fear what they do not understand. They fear "different". Not everyone, but many.

·
Registered
224 Posts
This video says it all for those “ Real Truck comments”

·
Registered
5 Posts
Tacoma owner here. IMO, the correct answer is that the Ridgeline is an unconventional truck. For those wanting a conventional truck, its probably not the best fit. For those looking for more of a crossover SUV-type ride, with similar appointments, its really the only game in town.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Shouldn't be asking if the Ridgeline is a "REAL TRUCK" on a Ridgeline Forum. We all own one and our opinions are biased. Go to a Ford, Toyota, Chevy, Dodge forum and ask again. Bring back the replies, we'll evaluate their opinions and all have a good laugh!

·
Registered
634 Posts
Shouldn't be asking if the Ridgeline is a "REAL TRUCK" on a Ridgeline Forum. We all own one and our opinions are biased.
What about those of us on the Forum that really love our Ridgelines, but are also of the mind, and are actually proud, that they are not a "real" truck? Where the true reality is that the Ridgeline's unique qualities actually serve our purposes much better than any "real" truck could ever do?

Bill

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
What about those of us on the Forum that really love our Ridgelines, but are also of the mind, and are actually proud, that they are not a "real" truck? Where the true reality is that the Ridgeline's unique qualities actually serve our purposes much better than any "real" truck could ever do?

Bill
To quote the great Jeff Spicoli: “Right here dude!”

Real trucks don’t have SH-AWD and handle outstanding. Real trucks handle corners like crap. I can unequivocally state I have the best handling “truck” on the road today and proud of it.. I can’t stand body on frame trucks. They handle like poop. And the unibody construction is safer than a body on frame in collisions. So a better drivetrain and a better chassis. “Image” is for the weak minded who jedi mind tricks work on.

·
Registered
347 Posts

Bill
But the thread started with the definition of "truck", and that because of the definition, we no longer need to question whether or not the RL is a truck. The way I see it is, you and I, and all other owners of a RL already know that it's unique vehicle that serves our purposes. But I love to joke. So all that I'm suggesting is that we pose the "whether or not the RL it's a truck" question to the owners of big boy trucks. I guarantee their responses would be hilarious. To me, that would be MUCH more entertaining than RL owners reminding other RL owners that our trucks meet our needs.

·
Registered
634 Posts
From a personal standpoint, what is even more fun is watching my wife's reactions as she is reading all these posts about what we "real men" are saying about, and doing to, the Ridgeline just to prove that it is a "real truck!" 😁

Bill

·
Registered
434 Posts
I think it's absolutely a truck. In the 60s, I would guess 95% of all trucks made were 2WD. They had a box for hauling things. I would guess the majority were 6 bangers without a lot of towing capacity. No one didn't think they were trucks. Marketing alone has created this false sense of what a truck is ...or isn't. The marketing has been effective in changing the narrative

But to go a step further I've never given a thought to whether it's a truck or not. It's a vehicle that suits our needs perfectly. It has a box to haul things in. That's a truck to me. It's also my wife's daily driver as was the G1 starting in 09. I would guess of the 110K RL miles we have, my wife has done a good 90K of them

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
From a personal standpoint, what is even more fun is watching my wife's reactions as she is reading all these posts about what we "real men" are saying about, and doing to, the Ridgeline just to prove that it is a "real truck!" 😁

Bill
That’s funny.

I’m just sick of anything different being questioned to death. I am different, live different than most, and it’s the age old people fear what they do not understand. People think you must live like them. People think in term of a box and just don’t know what to do with people who don’t fit the status quo, who are different, their thinking box can’t comprehend.

And the best. Why are strangers, friends, family, etc, so concerned with what you spend your money on? It’s not like they are signing your checks, or substituting for you when you are sick from work. People tend to be bothered by what others are doing with their money. It’s aggravating and fascinating at the same time.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts