Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll put my cards on the table at the outset: I won't pay money for a vehicle that has red rear turn signals. They're stupid and about 1/3 more dangerous, and the NHTSA has found as much: Preventing accidents with amber turn signals

With that said - is there a factory option or a 3rd party mod which can accomplish this? My '06 RL has served me well but is getting long in the tooth and I've been waiting for the 2017 to upgrade - but it will be something from the competition if this rear turn signal thing can't be sorted out.

What, if any, are my options here?

·
Registered
45 Posts
This is something that annoys me as well. I have tested with green LED bulbs behind the red lens. Though my first set was able to produce an amber hue, the light output (lumens) of the green LED was greatly reduced after being filtered through the red lens. This made the indicators barely visible in the day time. I have ordered some more green LED bulbs to test with and will post results if I find a set that is satisfactory.

nizz

·
Registered
190 Posts
Glad I'm not alone in this regard. I have always thought amber was far more visible than red for turn signals. Red on red with brake lights active is definitely harder to notice. But, I have thought that red looked better on pickup trucks, so it never bothered me. On the RL tho, I was a little surprised they didn't go with amber. Maybe there will be some aftermarket solutions, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
First off, don't believe everything you read and second, this article is more relevant to older model vehicles. Although they may have a point, in today's auto market, most rear lights are LEDs which are more visible than older style rear tails. This most likely explains why most manufacturers no longer go with amber. Some of today's LEDs are more visible than the old style amber which makes this study irrelevant. I wouldn't hold my breath on any aftermaket amber tails anytime soon or ever on the new RL.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Turn signal??

OH! You mean that little lever on the column that makes clicky sounds!:wink:

Personally, I always liked the sequentials like you see on some sedans. Hard to do on a pickup due to lack of space, I suppose. You would have to have part of it on the gate, which would be more complex.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
If the amber lights are in fact mandatory in Europe countries, try to order tails from that country once they make the RL available there if ever.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First off, don't believe everything you read and second, this article is more relevant to older model vehicles. Although they may have a point, in today's auto market, most rear lights are LEDs which are more visible than older style rear tails. This most likely explains why most manufacturers no longer go with amber. Some of today's LEDs are more visible than the old style amber which makes this study irrelevant. I wouldn't hold my breath on any aftermaket amber tails anytime soon or ever on the new RL.
This wasn't about reading something and then believing it, it's more confirmation bias at work for me here. I ride a motorcycle as my primary and when I am filtering (yes, California) and I see a red light come on, it's not that it isn't visible to me but that it takes an extra second to work out if the car is braking or turning into my lane, as I can only see one side of the vehicle at that point.

Full disclosure, I grew up in the UK. No one can tell me that red lights for turn signals are a good idea, and I do not want to be part of the problem or support a company which is.

Also, I doubt the Ridge is coming to Europe anytime soon - for one they drive smart cars and dinky little 'hot hatches,' for another, it's always raining there so pick up trucks are far less widely used in favor of Transits and Sprinters which offer some protection to the load.

Looking forward to hearing the results of the green bulb tests pt. 2!

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
This wasn't about reading something and then believing it, it's more confirmation bias at work for me here. I ride a motorcycle as my primary and when I am filtering (yes, California) and I see a red light come on, it's not that it isn't visible to me but that it takes an extra second to work out if the car is braking or turning into my lane, as I can only see one side of the vehicle at that point.

Full disclosure, I grew up in the UK. No one can tell me that red lights for turn signals are a good idea, and I do not want to be part of the problem or support a company which is.

Also, I doubt the Ridge is coming to Europe anytime soon - for one they drive smart cars and dinky little 'hot hatches,' for another, it's always raining there so pick up trucks are far less widely used in favor of Transits and Sprinters which offer some protection to the load.

Looking forward to hearing the results of the green bulb tests pt. 2!
I suppose you don't like the side of the road we drive on either? :)

You had to get used to driving on the right side of the road here too, yes? Somethings are just different in different places. That doesn't mean you can't adjust. I hear what you're saying, but.....

·
Registered
45 Posts
For those of you that care, I tested 3 different green LED's for the signal lamp and the loss of brightness (lumens) was too significant after filtering a green light through a red lens. You can see by the photos attached that an amber hue is created by the light it too dim for safety purposes. I ended up with a red Philips LED which will require installing a load resistor to prevent fast blinking. You can get one with the 7440 socket if you do not wish to splice any wiring.

In the photos where the tail light is lit, that is the brightness without the brakes applies. Left and right comparisons are green LED (left) and OEM halogen (right).

nizz

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
I removed the tail light housing and wired (solder & shrink wrap) the turn signal wires to the backup bulb holder; installing an amber bulb. Then installed a Rigid SR-Q LED floodlight as a backup light next to the towing receiver, wiring this into the tow wiring harness. Rather than leave the original turn signal lens with no light, I installed a 2W red LED and wired it into the brake light wiring going to the OEM LED wires. I like having a separate amber turn signal, and the additional separate brake lights may also provide some advantage. The SR-Q is much brighter than the backup bulbs from the tail lights.

Attachments

·
Registered
489 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I removed the tail light housing and wired (solder & shrink wrap) the turn signal wires to the backup bulb holder; installing an amber bulb. Then installed a Rigid SR-Q LED floodlight as a backup light next to the towing receiver, wiring this into the tow wiring harness. Rather than leave the original turn signal lens with no light, I installed a 2W red LED and wired it into the brake light wiring going to the OEM LED wires. I like having a separate amber turn signal, and the additional separate brake lights may also provide some advantage. The SR-Q is much brighter than the backup bulbs from the tail lights.
Can you post some videos of this in action, I think you're on to something.

·
Super Moderator
6,856 Posts
Can you post some videos of this in action, I think you're on to something.
I agree, would also love to see a wider (full width) pic, with/without brake light, running lights, reverse light, and if possible a turn signal shot, although video maybe the only way to see it.

·
Super Moderator
6,856 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts