Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last four vehicles I've purchased have been Toyotas. My adult kids have all bought Toyotas and Hondas. I'm retired and looking to buy my first truck. My work needs for the truck are minimal (maintaining our property and occasional projects). I've narrowed it down to either a Tacoma or a Ridgeline.

My wife and I actually settled on the Ridgeline, but I'm experiencing some reservations due to the impending redesign of the vehicle. I really don't want to spend that much (we only buy new) on something that is immediately revamped and (in a sense) out of style. (That's an odd comment coming from someone who actually owned a Gremlin back in the early seventies!)

Seriously though, I can wait another year to buy the truck, or I can go with a Tacoma that I know would make me happy, but I honestly prefer some of the features on the Ridgeline, and would appreciate peoples' advice about my concern related to buying the final year of an ending model line… Thanks.

Rob Stroud
Chaplain, USAF (Retired)

·
Registered
2013 Honda Ridgeline
783 Posts
Buying at the end of the line is the best! They've had almost 10 years to work out the kinks, and the truck is superb. Also parts (new and used) will be readily available for this model for a long time to come.

I've had a few Toyotas, and I'd buy Honda over Toyota any day.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
The Ridgeline redesign was put on the back burner and you won't see another one (if at all) for a couple of years.

My recommendation is to buy the truck you need and want. I know that if I tried to live with any other truck on the market, I'd want my Ridgeline back pretty quickly.

Questions that I'd be asking, especially of other compact trucks:
  • Where's the trunk for the stuff I don't want the public to see?
  • You mean I have to crawl over the tailgate to reach that crate?
  • How do I fit my quick-access gear under the rear seat?
  • Is there a not-getting-punched-in-the-kidneys option on bumpy roads?
  • Why doesn't 4WD engage the moment I need it instead of my predicting every bad patch on this partially cleared road?
  • Why did this thing oversteer when I did use 4WD on a tight turn?
  • Why isn't there enough room between the wheel wells for this plywood/drywall/ATV?
  • Why is the passenger in the rear middle seat complaining?
Notice that most of the things above aren't issues that most people think about when truck shopping, because they aren't thinking about the overall vehicle usefulness and the experience of owning it. They are thinking about the things that trucks do specifically (namely: hauling, towing and compensating for personal shortcomings).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Agreed! And since the redesign is several years away, assuming it does happen, you would be waiting awhile. Never owned a Toyota, hear they are very good. Do know you can't go wrong with the RL.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
781 Posts
(That's an odd comment coming from someone who actually owned a Gremlin back in the early seventies!)

LOL, I owned a Gremlin too. The hatchback was good for putting my fishing rods in the back. I finally got rid of it when I drove through a puddle and got soaked from the water that came through the rusted out floorboard!
I think you would like the Ridgeline. The versatility can't be beat!

·
Registered
835 Posts
The Ridgeline redesign was put on the back burner and you won't see another one (if at all) for a couple of years.

My recommendation is to buy the truck you need and want. I know that if I tried to live with any other truck on the market, I'd want my Ridgeline back pretty quickly.

Questions that I'd be asking, especially of other compact trucks:
  • Where's the trunk for the stuff I don't want the public to see?
  • You mean I have to crawl over the tailgate to reach that crate?
  • How do I fit my quick-access gear under the rear seat?
  • Is there a not-getting-punched-in-the-kidneys option on bumpy roads?
  • Why doesn't 4WD engage the moment I need it instead of my predicting every bad patch on this partially cleared road?
  • Why did this thing oversteer when I did use 4WD on a tight turn?
  • Why isn't there enough room between the wheel wells for this plywood/drywall/ATV?
  • Why is the passenger in the rear middle seat complaining?
Notice that most of the things above aren't issues that most people think about when truck shopping, because they aren't thinking about the overall vehicle usefulness and the experience of owning it. They are thinking about the things that trucks do specifically (namely: hauling, towing and compensating for personal shortcomings).
You Sir, should be composing commercials for Honda!

I've never heard the features of the R L described so well and so succinctly.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Two more:

• Why did this truck fishtale on a bumpy curve?
  • Why do I have to keep bags of sand in the bed all winter?
These problems and the ones in my earlier post just go away when you pick the Ridgeline.

I did not list other common issues regarding reliability and such, since they do change over time for some manufacturers. What I have listed are major design differences between the Ridgeline and other pick-up trucks.

Now, if you have some serious off-roading on your agenda, go for the Tacoma or some other choice. Off-roading isn't specific to pickup trucks. Just don't expect it to be nearly as good at everyday on-road activities.

Good luck in finding the best truck for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks

Thank you all for the sage advice. My wife and I have discussed the decision in light of these comments and decided to go with the ridgeline. As soon as our house refi is locked in (probably Monday), we'll be ready to go.

As for wet Gremlins… my wife reminded me how ours would sputter and sometimes die whenever you drove through a serious puddle. Even without the rust, it seemed vulnerable to splashes. Oh, and we had the joy of having an orange one, to top it off. Thank God that color is no longer around…

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Re: Thanks

Thank you all for the sage advice. My wife and I have discussed the decision in light of these comments and decided to go with the ridgeline. As soon as our house refi is locked in (probably Monday), we'll be ready to go.

As for wet Gremlins… my wife reminded me how ours would sputter and sometimes die whenever you drove through a serious puddle. Even without the rust, it seemed vulnerable to splashes. Oh, and we had the joy of having an orange one, to top it off. Thank God that color is no longer around…
Smart Choice ! Be sure and come back with pictures when you bring her home!
:act030:

·
Registered
526 Posts
Only advantage a Tacoma has over a Ridgeline is cost (it is cheaper), off road performance, and speed. Otherwise for everyday utility and driveability get the Ridgwline.

If you live in a snowy area definitely get a Ridge...it is amazing in the snow.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
You seem uncertain but ready to make a move.

Thinking that you need to pause, catch your breath and wait a week or two.

Once you've done that and had a chance to "wallow in the problem" you'll have a clearer sense of what the right decision actually is.

·
Registered
2013 Honda Ridgeline
783 Posts
You seem uncertain but ready to make a move.

Thinking that you need to pause, catch your breath and wait a week or two.

Once you've done that and had a chance to "wallow in the problem" you'll have a clearer sense of what the right decision actually is.
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...

·
Registered
346 Posts
I was in the same boat as you - retiring, never owned a truck and wanted something that would fit my needs.

Wanted something that drove like a car, but wanted the bed for those trips to the dump or light moving (furniture). The grown kids seem to move a lot. I use the bed more than I originally thought.

I researched for about a year leading up to my retirement. I looked at Toyota, Nissan and Honda. To me, the Honda was certainly the best. One of the big selling points was the smooth drive, back seat space and the hidden trunk.

I have now had my Sport for 15 months and have loved every minute. Never have looked back.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
It's now the beginning of the month. It would be best to wait until near the end of the month when dealers are under pressure to make their monthly quotas.

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,048 Posts
It's now the beginning of the month. It would be best to wait until near the end of the month when dealers are under pressure to make their monthly quotas.
I do agree with this, but November, January and February are traditionally the slowest months for dealers. They will be more prone to stretch to make a deal. End of the month would be best.

You can't go wrong with the RL or the Tacoma. Both are very well engineered and well built and are extremely reliable. They also both hold their value really well. When it comes down to it, the Tacoma is a more traditional truck and the RL is like an SUV with a bed. The Tacoma gives you advantages in off road and towing capabilities, but it sounds like the OP needs the versatility of the RL. There isn't another vehicle on the road that handles and rides like a car, gives you the comfort and interior space of an SUV and the utility of a truck. It's by far one of the easiest vehicles to drive and it's superior to darn near anything on the road in winter driving. It doesn't matter that the original design is ten years old. It still works very well and it's worth every penny of the purchase price. Buy a new one and keep it for ten more years.

·
Registered
10,048 Posts

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts