Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just purchased a 2014 RT with 8k on it. Upon reviewing the vehicle technician inspection paper work, I see the dealer spent $106 to remove an after market alarm. However, there is a small LED unit at the base of the steering column that flashes blue when the doors are locked. I have had the 'panic mode' (horn) activate when I have opened the unlocked doors? Additionally when using the key fob to lock the doors there are intermittent honks, three, with lights flashing followed by a pause and then another honk. Unlocking the doors has two honks, followed by another honk for a second button push for the rear doors. Honestly I am very hesitant about opening the doors for fear of setting off the panic mode.
Anyone have an idea of what is going on? Was the alarm not removed?

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I just purchased a 2014 RT with 8k on it. Upon reviewing the vehicle technician inspection paper work, I see the dealer spent $106 to remove an after market alarm. However, there is a small LED unit at the base of the steering column that flashes blue when the doors are locked. I have had the 'panic mode' (horn) activate when I have opened the unlocked doors? Additionally when using the key fob to lock the doors there are intermittent honks, three, with lights flashing followed by a pause and then another honk. Unlocking the doors has two honks, followed by another honk for a second button push for the rear doors. Honestly I am very hesitant about opening the doors for fear of setting off the panic mode.
Anyone have an idea of what is going on? Was the alarm not removed?

Sounds like they did not finish what you paid them for (removal of aftermarket alarm).

·
Registered
165 Posts
if they remove that, you will be left with 2 screw holes. Chances are they left that to hide that. Underneath, i would be the alarm is gone with the exception of that

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if they remove that, you will be left with 2 screw holes. Chances are they left that to hide that. Underneath, i would be the alarm is gone with the exception of that
I don''t get why the light still flashes when I set the door locks from the inside followed immediately by one honk, pause, three honks, pause, pause, pause (wait for it) one honk as you are walking a away from the vehicle.
Here is a short video of the situation.
http://www.screencast.com/t/V1keLpz9

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I don''t get why the light still flashes when I set the door locks from the inside followed immediately by one honk, pause, three honks, pause, pause, pause (wait for it) one honk as you are walking a away from the vehicle.
Here is a short video of the situation.
http://www.screencast.com/t/V1keLpz9
I could be wrong (it's happened before)... but until I'm corrected, I will say that is absolutely NOT an OEM alarm system.

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,804 Posts
Before I sold my RTS I removed the Cubby Cover. I filled the holes for the hinges with silicone. Get the same color silicone as your interior and it will not be that noticeable, since the surface is not smooth.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
possibly a dealer/vendor contracted KARR alarm system?

This thread has some KARR alarm config instructions, and other threads have additional pictures. Forum searches aren't always productive, but there are more than a few related threads on the ROC and other Honda related forums. Certainly your truck is a bit newer, but perhaps this is still useful info?

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33701&highlight=karr+security+systems

I bought an Odyssey van and knew the dealer automatically installed these upon arrival and I asked that I didn't want it installed because the van was already in stock, we had driven the specific vehicle and the KARR installer hadn't come in yet. I didn't want all the little wire insulation piercing taps they use on a new vehicle, and the base OEM Honda alarm was more than fine for me.

They installed it anyway and then wanted to charge me for it. They ended up including the alarm in our previously agreed price so no change in paper work. I could have walked, but had more invested in a previously agreed price... TMI and there always seems to be something with every dealership.

In the end there haven't been any issues almost ten years later, but I wonder if they left it in your vehicle and then since you didn't want it they tried to get $100 anyway for "not removing it"

There are a few other threads on dealer installed KARR alarms. I think many dealers have a vendor agreement to automatically install and then try to get customers to pay for them.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Problem solved!:act024:
Made appointment to have vehicle looked at through the dealership that sold it. "Yep, it is an after market alarm" they said. I showed them the paperwork where the 'technician' charged $106 to remove an after market alarm. We just happened to get the same technician! He goes 'Hmmmmmm, I guess I forgot to take it out.". My jaw just hung open. Unbelievable! Is it any wonder why these guys are referred to as a "stealership"?

It is all good now. RL is back to original status without all the annoying honks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts