Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did 50,000 KM since last drain and fill on my 2010 Ridgeline. That was about 12 months ago. I did a drain and fill today, and what is the opinion on this amount of shavings and sludge on the drain magnet. I wiped one side of the plug to show the clean bolt underneath as comparison
Microphone Fluid Gas Automotive tire Jewellery

Does it seem normal or excessive? The truck has 285,000 km on it.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Hum…..that looks more like metal shavings than sludge. Some sludge pics will show up soon.

Reactions: TerpLine

·
Premium Member
2021 Obsidian Blue RTL
177 Posts
I agree with the others. Those appear to be long slivers of metal, as opposed to the fine, dark, sludge-like residue that I have normally seen.

Actually, I see no sludge at all mixed with the shavings. Is it possible the friction plates are completely worn and down to metal? I can't imagine that would be the case, without showing obvious signs of failure, such as slipping. Are you having and drivability issues?

(Honestly, I was going to comment on your high mileage, but a quick check on my handy metric converter resolved only 177K miles. Thank God we never went metric down here. I would have never adapted. 😂)

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Seems to be a bit much. I don't think I even had that much stuff on my first ATF change at ~74km, and it wasn't shiny like yours. Looks just like the pic @HRL383 posted. Did you some how rinse off all the tranny fluid prior to your pic? Looks "dry" vs what I pulled out in the past. For my second change, to which we did 3x due to transmission judder, ~144km, I had much less sludge than pictured.

Glove Safety glove Medical glove Liquid Fluid

·
Super Moderator
2,161 Posts
I'd be concerned of those metal shavings. That's not torque converter wear (the sludge looking stuff).

·
Registered
2011 Honda Ridgeline RTL w/Nav + DVD
55 Posts
Just did my A136 service the other day (about 137k miles)

Gesture Finger Thumb Nail Bottle

I would say this is definitely more like sludge then the unfortunate metal shavings you posted.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,369 Posts
2006 Pilot back in 2013 when I converted over to DW-1. This was the 4th DW-1 change with about 4500 miles on it since the 3rd change. Total miles on the tranny 92,485 miles.
Automotive tire Gas Engineering Electric blue Auto part

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

Here's from my 2008 Ridgeline with 29,616 miles. The tranny fluid was changed earlier at 17,430 miles, so this fluid had about 12,000 miles on it.

Automotive tire Finger Household hardware Thumb Wood

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Vehicle

That was 10 years ago and I don't recall what I did to make that last photo look like that. Perhaps I wiped some of the sludge off and that left it looking like that, which is similar to yours.

I did have a reman tranny installed at 56k miles several years later due to a persistent top gear whine. I have no idea if the look of that last drain plug pic has any bearing on the tranny whine that warranty covered.

For the record, I change tranny fluid every other oil change (or around every 12-14k miles). I haven't bothered taking any more drain plug pics after 2015 since they always look the same with the amount of sludge on them.

Here's the last one from my Ridge back in Sept 2015 with 96,500 miles on i (40k miles since the reman was installed).
Tire Automotive tire Hood Household hardware Tread

·
Super Moderator
2,161 Posts
That fine stuff is usually torque converter sludge. And not really indicating a problem. Bigger metal like that flag looking one I'd be a little more concerned about. But, if you really wanted to know about the condition of the trans I'd send in a fluid sample for analysis. That's more definitive than just looking at the plug.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I did 50,000 KM since last drain and fill on my 2010 Ridgeline. That was about 12 months ago. I did a drain and fill today, and what is the opinion on this amount of shavings and sludge on the drain magnet. I wiped one side of the plug to show the clean bolt underneath as comparison View attachment 417330

Does it seem normal or excessive? The truck has 285,000 km on it.
It would help to know if those are slivers of metal or normal fine powder that’s under magnetic force.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts