Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm looking at buying a used 07 Ridgeline. Now I want some opinions on this scenario, I found an 07 Ridgeline with 152K miles on it at a dealership for $6,590! Which imo seems like a great deal especially from a Honda dealership. The part that has me a bit worried is they are listing it as a pre-auction price while showing they have it listed nearly 2K under market value. My wife has called since I've been busy at work and they said they'll look at it and call her back. That was Friday and now it's Monday night, a call today and they said they were too busy. Now I'm a little unsure they'll spend any time on looking at it but what gives with a low price and the pre-auction thing? The few pictures of it look like a basic model but must have 4WD (did all first gens have it?) and it's dirty like they didn't bother cleaning it up but I think it'll clean up just fine, don't care about the bed showing use (it's a truck and it'll see use from me as well).

Thanks for any input. I'm ready to retire my old 2002 Legacy Outback with over 220K miles that's on it's way out because I'm tired of working on it, plus I need my own truck instead of borrowing them lol.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah my budget is rather limited, so high miles it is. I see plenty of Ridgelines with well over 200K for this kind of price so guessing they are pretty reliable. My 03 Odyssey is pretty close to 169K miles, I've put a tad over 30K and only needed to replace a transmission sensor other than that it's been small electrical things and sliding doors (simple cheap fixes).

Anything crazy to expect different from a Ridgeline with higher miles I'd like to hear it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The ridgeline is reliable, thats forsure. Just make sure the seller has done the NEEDED work. Have it checked by a mechanic, too.

Youever thought of buying in canada?
your dollar goes 32% further.

ALso, what's your take on buying a ridgeline with a swapped engine??

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I'd totally buy any car with a hot swappable engine (not an engine that took a lot of wiring and or modifying to get in there). Japan parts out cars with nearly no miles on them so good low mileage engines are out there, cheaper than remanufactured ones. Canada is too far generally looking around Pittsburgh area.

No one has any high mileage complaints about things breaking e.t.c?

·
Registered
257 Posts
The two things I'm aware of is make sure the radiator has been changed (original design had major risk of mixing coolant with trans fluid) and the timing belt/water pump change has been done - or do them immediately.

Edit: And I wouldn't worry about it being preauction, dealers need to rotate out inventory that isn't moving, so it doesn't necessarily mean anything other than it's been sitting at the dealer for 90 days.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks TJ. The radiator wasn't an issue I'm aware of so good advice! I need to look up timing belt replacement on these engines bet my odyssey could use a new one. Is the belt difficult to change. I've done several subaru belts but they're easy to get to, a sideways engine I fear might be a pain.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks TJ. The radiator wasn't an issue I'm aware of so good advice! I need to look up timing belt replacement on these engines bet my odyssey could use a new one. Is the belt difficult to change. I've done several subaru belts but they're easy to get to, a sideways engine I fear might be a pain.
I've read about the timing belt, here's some info:

'' Unfortunately your Honda Ridgeline has an "interference engine" meaning that a broken timing belt will result in the pistons hitting the valves and doing massive damage. .. ''

Get the belt changed ahead of time, youll save 2500 in labur and 1500 for an engine lol

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I figured the engine is an interference design, seems most are anymore. I miss my old Impreza EJ22 with a non interference design. An idler bearing seized on me (even shredded the bearings out) so the car stalled and all I had to do was replace belt and idler. I put nearly another 30k miles on it before swapping in an EJ25 I had lying around :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yeah I figured the engine is an interference design, seems most are anymore. I miss my old Impreza EJ22 with a non interference design. An idler bearing seized on me (even shredded the bearings out) so the car stalled and all I had to do was replace belt and idler. I put nearly another 30k miles on it before swapping in an EJ25 I had lying around :)
Yeah, theyre annoying to deal with.

I'm realllly on the fence about this swapped engine ridgeline. The SIGNLE owner's carfax is quite detailed and he went for regular checkups an maintenance.
I'm on the fence because 3 guys told me never buy a swapped engine because there will probably be issues after the swap, like 1 year after the swap...
It's priced at 9900, but i could probably get it for 8900...
YEAR: 2008.

204k kms ( like 120k miles ) on the body, 140k ( like 87k miles ) on the swapped engine.
Clean exterior, no accidents....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wouldn't worry much about a stock for stock engine swap. Any idea were the engine was sourced? Junkyard or from Japan? Out of junkyard engines I've put in subarus they've all been good 50k plus hassle free. I generally replaced valve cover gaskets and rear main seals before swapping though along with plugs e.t.c. One junkyard engine had a good dent in oil pan and a dent in the camshaft pulley. If I saw that today I'd avoid that kind of damage but it ran fine for 40k miles before I swapped them with non damaged parts during a diff/transmission change.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I wouldn't worry much about a stock for stock engine swap. Any idea were the engine was sourced? Junkyard or from Japan? Out of junkyard engines I've put in subarus they've all been good 50k plus hassle free. I generally replaced valve cover gaskets and rear main seals before swapping though along with plugs e.t.c. One junkyard engine had a good dent in oil pan and a dent in the camshaft pulley. If I saw that today I'd avoid that kind of damage but it ran fine for 40k miles before I swapped them with non damaged parts during a diff/transmission change.
I believe the engine was taken from a yard, not from Japan, though i'm not sure.
As i said, his carfax is honest and there aren't any accidents. He just seems like a guy that takes care of his things, though he had an engine swap at 180k kms, but doesnt know why his engine threw a rod. wouldnt he know ? lol
I trust him due to his honesty and telling me that im welcomed to have the truck looked at by a honda mechanic.

I was also told by some guys that ifhonda hooks the truck up to their computer the computer will basically tell me if there are any issues with the truck and there may not be, though there could be shortly as its been 25k kms on the engine and his engine warranty is probably up.

I bought a lemon of a truck when i was 19 and i dont want the same issues, though i dont have a 20, 30 or 40k $ budget hahaha... :'(

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm in the same boat, I don't have a large budget. I honestly don't know how people afford these other trucks that cost nearly as much as my mortgage. I'm looking at the 7k range, it might be playing the lottery in terms of long term reliability but I guess if a transmission or engine goes its still a lot cheaper than a new truck, especially if you can do it yourself!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm in the same boat, I don't have a large budget. I honestly don't know how people afford these other trucks that cost nearly as much as my mortgage. I'm looking at the 7k range, it might be playing the lottery in terms of long term reliability but I guess if a transmission or engine goes its still a lot cheaper than a new truck, especially if you can do it yourself!
I'm not sure of the pricing in the USA, especially state to state, but in Canada 7k won't get you much of a honda ridgeline, but she'll run and if the ridgeline has good maintenence history she'll probably get to 400k kms, like 250,000 miles

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Giving current exchange rates 7k USA is about 9,250 CAN so we're pretty close price range. I'd for sure go with the ridgeline you're looking at knowing a detailed history.

There's a Ridgeline in Ohio for 2,800 but it has nearly 300k miles. If it was just a spare vehicle for those days a truck is needed that's an option imo.

·
Registered
9,850 Posts
Without seeing pictures or knowing the history behind the truck, $6500 seems pretty fair, in general. I have an 07 RTL with 174k miles that, as it sits, is worth about $7000-7500 for a private party sale and around $8500-9000 for a dealership. Bottom line is that you'll never know how good it is until you get eyes on it. Check over everything. Drive it for a good distance to get the feel of it. Listen for weird noises. Get under the truck and see what the underside looks like (rust, leaks, axles, exhaust, etc). If it looks ok and you buy the truck, you may think about a descaling and undercoating service to extend the lift of it.
These trucks are very reliable, but require regular maintenance. If there's no maintenance history at all, you can do all of the fluids and filters after you buy it to set a baseline. As was said, the timing belt/water pump service should have been done (any truck over 100k miles) and the radiator should have been swapped out. Those are really the big things. Time-consuming jobs to do on your own, but the parts/kit for both services would run you around $500. Together, they'd be $1500-2000 at a dealership shop. While you're in there, swap out the spark plugs for OEM NGK's and do a valve adjustment.
With a $7k budget, you're certainly going to be limited. I hope it all works out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Ian! I checked out the truck last evening and pretty quickly turned around. The dealership offered only a few pictures and they didn't illustrate the rust that was so bad that it was rotting even by the gas cap! Not at the edge but like it was rusting from inside the panel (scary). The brakes that I looked at told me they've been sticking for so long that the rotors were scary bad as in uneven wear and they were ready to fall apart. The tires were all low but due to rapid temp drop they might just have not bothered to put air in them. I didn't even bother test driving it. 6,500 would have been ok if it wasn't for the rot and if it ran ok along with the fluids looking and smelling right. I emailed the dealer offering 2,500, I'm sure that'll be seen as an insult. I guess I'll just try spending time on my aging outback figuring out it's intermittent stuttering after going up hills. I'll keep my eye out on a better deal. Thanks guys

·
Registered
9,850 Posts
That's the biggest issue you'll run into with older trucks in the north - rust. I'm dealing with it on my 07 and it's been very well taken care of. Nonetheless, keep looking. There will be a better one that comes along. Autotrader.com is my go-to for looking at vehicles for sale. You may also want to keep an eye on your local "for sale" websites or Facebook marketplace. You never know what will show up. Where are you located?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah too much salt on the roads in the winter. I've scraped a forester I had cause of rot. It was like they used several thin sheets of metal over top of each other to make the frame so when rust started to show the car was a goner. I live north of Pittsburgh PA in Butler. I've been using Autotrader, Craigslist and even Ebay crazy enough. Don't do Facebook but wife does so maybe she'll run into one.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts