Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know what this black box in the top right of my new-to-me RL's windshield? I had assumed it was some kind of antenna, but then read here where others say the antenna is over the back window so I have no idea what this is. XM antenna maybe?

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Anybody know what this black box in the top right of my new-to-me RL's windshield? I had assumed it was some kind of antenna, but then read here where others say the antenna is over the back window so I have no idea what this is. XM antenna maybe?

Is there navigation in your ridge? If so it could be an aftermarket gps antenna, but if there's no navigation then it's most likely a XM antenna

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Yup, has to be one or the other. I have an old Garmin Nuvi 760 GPS in our 03 CRV and it comes with a socket for an external antenna. I picked one up for 10 bucks and is about 1/3 the size of yours that sits on the top of the dash and works great.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there navigation in your ridge? If so it could be an aftermarket gps antenna, but if there's no navigation then it's most likely a XM antenna

Nope, no navigation. My stereo head unit says XM on it but I read somewhere that while RTS models came with an XM-ready stereo, some additional equipment would be necessary. Maybe the previous owner subscribed to XM and the "additional equipment" required was an antenna like that.

I just want to make sure it isn't Big Brother or some third party tracking me with a GPS or hidden Mic or something, haha.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Could it be a transponder for toll roads/bridges?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm, I don't know. I might have to try to trace the wiring. From the service records, the truck previously resided in Arkansas and Louisiana. Not sure if there are a lot of toll roads there?

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Previous owner might have had a portable gps. Earlier ones had ext antenna options.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
My guess is aftermarket XM antenna. Which should mean you might also have an aftermarket XM receiver mounted somewhere.... unless previous owner short-changed you that one by taking it with him?? Look around & see what you see.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Nope, no navigation. My stereo head unit says XM on it but I read somewhere that while RTS models came with an XM-ready stereo, some additional equipment would be necessary. Maybe the previous owner subscribed to XM and the "additional equipment" required was an antenna like that.

I just want to make sure it isn't Big Brother or some third party tracking me with a GPS or hidden Mic or something, haha.
haha big brother is always watching, it might be the power supply from the sun for the flux capacitor ? lol. but yeah it could be gps but i doubt it, it must be for the xm system since you said you need "external accessories"to use the xm radio. time for a scavenger hunt, trace the wire back to where it starts. on the other hand it could also be a coupler box for a glass mount scanner antenna or cb antenna. i use one of those for my cb so maybe the person had a CB radio or scanner before they gave you the truck. just another guess but it could be either one

·
Registered
4,075 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Yup that's where my XM antenna is too

1 - 12 of 12 Posts