Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I crazy? I was originally looking for a trailex or other ultra lightweight car hauler. I found a great deal on this Bri-Mar 16ft car hauler.

http://www.bri-mar.com/trailers/ch16-7-open/

I will be towing my 2700lb Honda S2000. So roughly about 4400lbs total. I will be doing some long trips up to Watkins Glen.

I have an OEM hitch with a Prodigy brake controller. The trailer has 10" electric brakes on all 4 wheels. My RL is an 07 with 150k miles. It runs excellent and all service is up to date including transmission fluid changes and almost new OEM tires.

Should I keep looking for a lighter trailer, or can the RL handle this rig?

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
4400 lbs total is doable, since the towing limit is 5000 lbs. Just watch how many tools, crew, etc. you bring along.

Note that the RPMs will be fairly high when towing - that's normal. Fill up with premium fuel.

Do not use the "3rd" button on the end of the shifter - it's not a tow/haul mode button. Just put it in D and let the transmission handle it.

You'll want to shorten your oil/transmission change intervals if you tow a lot. Use the severe-service chart.

Chip H.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
.... and just one more thing; if your truck has never had the brake fluid replaced, you should absolutely have that done before you start towing with it. 'Should be done about every 3 years, and I'd say that's much more critical when you're towing a heavy load..... can't take a chance on losing braking performance (which WILL happen with old fluid).

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great tips...

I did replace the brake fluid a few months back because I was not happy with the braking performance. I also greased the calipers and that made a big difference.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Good recommendations on service if towing, especially a heavy trailer. I pulled a very similar rig with my 2006 RL to SCCA events all around the SE Div.

My dual axle open trailer and Camaro racecar, including tools, and tires routinely EXCEEDED the 5000 max capacity that Honda recommends, and yet the rig pulled better and got better fuel mileage than either of my much lighter boats on single axle trailers. I attribute this almost entirely to trailer balance and aero.

A couple more suggestions.

Take the time to work out your best tongue weight and car position on the trailer. You have to do some trial and error but it pays huge dividends on ride quality and control including sway. Always tie the car down on the trailer exactly the same way.

Regularly test the trailer brakes each time you stop for fuel or whatever. The trailer brakes on this rig can save your bacon. I know from experience. The trailer rig weighs almost as much as the truck itself.

Check the trailer tires before every trip for odd wear, bubbles, nails etc. They pick up stuff from the side of the road and parking lots. You need all 4 in good condition to make this work. Keep a decent spare handy. I reached a point where i replaced the trailer tires every 15000 miles because I couldn't trust them much past that.

·
Registered
634 Posts
How often will you be towing it? Everyone has given you good advice. Like it was said upthread you're within the towing limit so it's doable... but I've pulled almost 5,000# a couple times and you know you have some weight behind you.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
maybe 4-5 times a year.

So I picked up the trailer and drove back through NYC with no issues. The trailer is 1660 empty, so I wont say I couldn't tell it was back there. However the RL pulled it easy and the brakes worked great. We will see how it does with my car on it.

Regarding tongue weight, I was thinking with starting around 400lbs. I want plenty on there to cure sway, however I don't want to load more than I need to. I have a good controller, so I can add some trailer brakes if it does sway.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, here it is. This photo is with 400lbs of tongue. I would say a 2" drop in the rear. It seems to drive stable and the brakes work well. You know its back there when you want to go fast but overall I am pretty impressed.

The stability and braking are excellent overall. The power and acceleration are adequate, but not under powered. Sure it can use more torque but the shifting logic in the transmission makes up for some of it.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks.

OK I just got back from a track day and my first serious RL towing experience. Bottom line, the Ridgeline kicks @@s!

Trailer 1660, s2000 with full fuel 2750, extra tires/wheels, jack, tools, friend, etc, etc..

So maybe 4800lbs total???

First off the brakes and overall stability are outstanding. With the trailer brakes and tongue weight setup, the rig stopped fast with no sway. Better than my F150 here.

Power wise I would say the engine has adequate torque but is aided by a responsive transmission. I did us 93 octane, the whole setup worked well. It downshifted to 2nd once because I wanted to accelerate up a 8% grade doing 55mph. On the highway it never went down to 2nd gear, and I had no problem maintaining 70mph plus. Actually going home, I passed my buddy accelerating to 80mph, up a 5% grade. My buddy has a 2012 F150 towing an enclosed trailer (5000lbs or so). So even he was impressed with the RL. The transmission shifted smoothly and downshifted aggressively.

It worked so well I would not hesitate to tow the full 5000lbs or maybe more. At least on a car trailer with good brakes. I may even try a little less tongue weight to level out the truck.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Looks like a Honda Commercial...LOL!! Nice set up - Never owned an S2000, but always liked the look and specs on them.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Man, I loved the S2000's....sad that I didn't get one instead of my Accord!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts