Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Although if you have a G1, it may be a well placed ad...I went through 5 windshields of varying brands on my 2010 RTL Navi in 72,000 miles...well documented on ROC...However, it is crazy now how AdSense and other programs seem to chase you around...Seems like my wife 'thought' about the new Voivo XC40 and now we are plastered with Volvo pop ups and mail (although a free $75 MasterCard to drive a new XC60 was certainly acted on)...
I have been getting winter tire ads non-stop since November. I must have over researched.

I have changed one windshield (and a passenger side mirror) in 30 years over 8 vehicles. On a Acura RSX, managed to get a rock chip that split all the way across immediately followed by a rock to the passenger mirror glass and rear window hatchback the next week all on the highway. Yes it is possible to break the glass only of a side mirror while on the highway. I was just taking the exit, highway runs parallel to train tracks. Train is overtaking me as I slow down for the ramp and it kicks up a bunch of rocks- one of which chips the rear glass- another takes out the passenger mirror. I hear a sound that sounds like a gunshot - look over and there is a 3/4 inch hole on the mirror. First thought was WTF someone took a shot at me. Dealer looked at damage and had same reaction- is it a bullet hole? No did it on highway - really have to stop reversing on the highway.

Overall I have been lucky a few chips that did not crack. Had another windshield crack on an old S10 that I never replaced. Filling up with gas doubled its value- it wasn't worth a new windshield.

·
Registered
186 Posts
My G2 has a failed chip repair right now that has extended 4", they told me they can't repair it again so I am will need to fork out $600 to replace it. They also said that since my model has lane keep assist that I will need to have the camera recalibrated. The stealership told me that would cost $135 additional. Long story short, I'm going to live with the crack for a while.
Comprehensive insurance is your friend. I've replaced at least four windshields over the years, never a penny out of pocket.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Never had a windshield problem on my Element ( 60,000 miles) and so far so good on my G2. Maybe living in the rural Georgia mountains has something to do with it. Little traffic and little "junk" on the roads that can be picked up an sent toward your windshield.

And I had 2 windshields replacements on my F-150 ( 85,000 miles ) under same road conditions. What does that tell you ????

·
Registered
91 Posts
The problem with the Element, the FJ Cruiser and Jeep CJs and the like is the upright installation angle of their windshields. All vehicles catch a lot of stones flying at them. Due to most windshields having quite a bit of angle most just glance off. When the angle is almost 90 degrees there is no glancing. The window suffers a blunt force trauma. I worked 38 years for an auto glass manufacturer and know a little bit about it.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
My G2 has a failed chip repair right now that has extended 4", they told me they can't repair it again so I am will need to fork out $600 to replace it. They also said that since my model has lane keep assist that I will need to have the camera recalibrated. The stealership told me that would cost $135 additional. Long story short, I'm going to live with the crack for a while.
How the F*$k is the windshield $600?? G1 with its so called heated zone, costs almost $200 less. It cannot be tied to the 'new car' bs.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My windshield developed a crack about 4" long yesterday. It will be replaced next week.
I'm getting tired of this vehicle. Honda is no longer what Honda was. Poor CRV and Civic
owners with the new 1.5 turbo engine. Serious oil dilution problems. They are no longer
sold in China until Honda comes up with a fix. My wife was going to buy a Crv. Now she
has changed to a RAV4. CRV's are also having the windshield problem. Whatever happened
to Honda?

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
Comprehensive is a fixed rate add-on, not claims-based.
I have full glass coverage that I pay a bit extra for. If I make a claim I loose a 10% discount at the end of the year.
Its still a deal but im sure they would raise my rate if i claimed a couple windshields in a year at 600 bucks a piece, just sayin.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have had two rock chips in 20,000 miles on my RTL . Thankfully, they have not spread into cracks, as I immediately repaired them. 🤞🏻This has me wondering if the benefits of this “acoustic” windshield are worth it being so fragile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
My windshield developed a crack about 4" long yesterday. It will be replaced next week.
I'm getting tired of this vehicle. Honda is no longer what Honda was. Poor CRV and Civic
owners with the new 1.5 engine. Serious oil dilution problems. They are no longer
sold in China until Honda comes up with a fix. My wife was going to buy a Crv. Now she
has changed to a RAV4. CRV's are also having the windshield problem. Whatever happened
to Honda?
It’s not just Honda, the wife has a Rav 4 and she’s had 2 windshields already and this last one has several small cracks. My Tacoma is all pitted and several people repot the same with them. I think it’s just the ne glass in all new vehicles.

·
Registered
848 Posts
There is no magic sauce solution but my G1 had 5 windshields in 75k miles and the G2 is getting it's first new one (OEM) on Monday 6/25 (made it to almost 34k miles).

My issue is just a lot of miles on high speed expressways in Western NY and Southern ON...winter debris being kicked up, even left over stones in the summer...However, it is still a Honda issue in my eyes...I've replaced NO VW windshelds in 3 vehicles with 200k miles total and only 1 in my previous 6 or so vehicles (Infiniti, Audi, Toyota).

It isn't just the higher exposure of a truck either. Never a chip with my two RAM 1500s...Frustrating but honestly, it's part of the RL ownership experience.

·
Registered
396 Posts
- took a rock chip from an uncovered a gravel truck this last weekend

****!

Pretty sure I caught the repair in time for it to keep from spreading.

UD

·
Registered
18 Posts
If anyone has any recs on a stronger windshield for rtl-e i am all ears. Had an outback for 3 years not a single issue, and a tC for 10 years without a single issue. I have a crack or chip every other month with the RL, I literally keep a windshield repair kit with me at all times now. This is the most expensive vehicle I have ever purchased, and have had more issues with it than any other car I have owned including a bmw!

·
Registered
6 Posts
On my 2018 RTL, I broke my windshield last week when lowering the wiper arm, after cleaning the windshield it in the garage. 80 degrees, nothing crazy at all. From the driver side I lowered that arm to the glass, then reached across to lower the passenger side arm down. Dropped it the last ~6 inches, and the far end of the wiper arm hit the glass and cracked it. It left a pock mark, a star-shaped crack, and 2, 6-8" long cracks running across & up the windshield. I couldn't believe that it happened so easily. Really disappointing.

In this case, I'm not sure if it's a fragile windshield design, or perhaps the wiper arm itself. If you look at the wiper arm, it has a plastic cover of sorts, that goes right past the tip of the rubber wiper blade itself. I think this plastic tip is what hit & broke mine.

$250 deductible = new windshield, but I now know a few things:

1. Don't drop the wiper arm, even a little bit, down to the windshield
2. When the original wiper blades need replacement, I will just get new wiper blade units & not try to replace just the inserts. Use a normal design that doesn't have this plastic tip on the end.
3. Be sure to tell the auto glass folks about using the acoustic glass if RTL & up; mine did it properly.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
On my 2018 RTL, I broke my windshield last week when lowering the wiper arm, after cleaning the windshield it in the garage. 80 degrees, nothing crazy at all. From the driver side I lowered that arm to the glass, then reached across to lower the passenger side arm down. Dropped it the last ~6 inches, and the far end of the wiper arm hit the glass and cracked it. It left a pock mark, a star-shaped crack, and 2, 6-8" long cracks running across & up the windshield. I couldn't believe that it happened so easily. Really disappointing.

In this case, I'm not sure if it's a fragile windshield design, or perhaps the wiper arm itself. If you look at the wiper arm, it has a plastic cover of sorts, that goes right past the tip of the rubber wiper blade itself. I think this plastic tip is what hit & broke mine.

$250 deductible = new windshield, but I now know a few things:

1. Don't drop the wiper arm, even a little bit, down to the windshield
2. When the original wiper blades need replacement, I will just get new wiper blade units & not try to replace just the inserts. Use a normal design that doesn't have this plastic tip on the end.
3. Be sure to tell the auto glass folks about using the acoustic glass if RTL & up; mine did it properly.
Thanks for this John! I had no idea it was that fragile...wow.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I already replaced my 1st windshield on the 2018 at 10K miles and was told by 100s of ridgelines were done in my area recently...

21 - 40 of 48 Posts