Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
See you all in Detroit. Unfortunately it will most likely be up on a pedestal, so you will have to look from afar.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/12/18/honda-ridgeline-detroit-teaser-official/

Looks like no split tailgate.:(

Cheers
Tony
I for one could careless about a split tail gate. Would never use it, cost effective, even more mini vanish and can think of many other things to spend the extra $ on this vehicle that I would like to see.
I have a hard time thinkin any benifit to a frickin split tail gate.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How can you tell the tailgate isn't dual-action? Or do you mean it doesn't open outwards from the middle?
Yes I mean no opening from the middle outwards, Dutch door style. I hope it is a dual opening tailgate as it would help getting things out of the bed, but thought that Honda, since they had problems with early hinges, had decided to make two doors. But no, unless it's offered on upscale trims?

Cheers
Tony

·
Registered
790 Posts
I think there was never a split tailgate, it was just a sketch line and what would be the point if the tailgate might still open like the current one, it would just be one more mechanism that could break and just half the size of the tailgate.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Agree. It was never a "Dutch Door" style. Just an artists center-line on the sketch.

I think Joe has confirmed the dual-action tailgate remains. They'd be crazy to drop it, as that was a major feature of gen1.

Chip H.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,600 Posts
Yes I mean no opening from the middle outwards, Dutch door style. I hope it is a dual opening tailgate as it would help getting things out of the bed, but thought that Honda, since they had problems with early hinges, had decided to make two doors. But no, unless it's offered on upscale trims?

Cheers
Tony
My dual action tailgate has survived 10 years of construction duty with absolutely zero issues. I also parallel park on crowded city streets and rarely have issues with being able to open the tailgate (sideways) and getting my tools out of the trunk. . . .Basically I have experienced no issues with my early 06 Ridges tailgate nor do I have a recollection of any consistent issues reported on this forum. It ain't broke so why over engineer a fix?? What hinge problems are you speaking of??
As has already been mentioned, people (including the "press") saw the sketch that Honda provided and incorrectly read into it that the tailgate had been changed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
. . .Basically I have experienced no issues with my early 06 Ridges tailgate nor do I have a recollection of any consistent issues reported on this forum. It ain't broke so why over engineer a fix?? What hinge problems are you speaking of??
I was quoting two Honda factory employees that had owned Ridgelines that were made at their factory in Alliston Ontario Canada. Both had owned some of the first made and had their tailgate hinges replaced under warranty. I didn't know if it was prevalent or not.

Cheers
Tony

·
Registered
971 Posts
Speaking of Detroit, something else might be "coming."

Did anyone else read the comments to this Ridgeline article a few days ago?

http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/how-to-see-the-new-honda-ridgeline-the-moment-its-revea-1748719925

An alleged Hyundai employee unofficially stated that the Santa Cruz is confirmed.
I didn't care for hearing the comment about the Chris Doane render being very close. Thats the last thing I wanted to hear. Almost on ROC is not totally in favour of that look, and yet we all more or less know it will probably look that way in the end. How the guy knew all along I don't know, but so far though the comments have been fairly relax on the look. That might be because the last one to many was so ugly that this new look is refreshing. I don't totally agree but it safe to say thats how many felt about RL 1.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
I'm so not a fan of the Doane/MotorTrend rendering, but I'm forced to admit there's only so much the team could do with Pilot front doors, fenders and hood. Still, I'm hoping they managed to give the front a bolder look that's closer to the Navara's. If not, I doubt that a SuperBowl ad and a big marketing push will be enough to save the Gen2. It's a shame they put so much good technology into the redesign but couldn't spring for a decent budget to style it like a pickup truck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts