Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 60 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
I have been contacted about doing the Toys for Tots drive again this year. Last year, as some of you may remember, I goofed, didn't follow directions ( well..I haven't even read my owners manual yet :rolleyes: ) and instead of buying Hot Wheels cars with the money we raised, I bought all kinds of stuff and gave it to the Toys4Tots in Cleveland.
I expressed my opinion about liking the fact that we bought such a variety of toys last years instead of all Hot Wheels cars and it seems to have caught on with a few other members of various car clubs.

So....here's a few questions.

1. Do we want to stick with the Scion club's Hot Wheels Toys for Tots drive?
2. Do we want to do what we did last year and just buy all kinds of different stuff and donate it.
3. What charity do we want to donate to?
4. Who do you want to chair this?
5. The Scion club big cheese in charge is looking for a new name for the function. What do you suggest??
6. Should we set up a PayPal account specifically for this?
7. Ad lib here. All ideas and thoughts are welcome.

Nows the time to speak up. The contest starts October 15 if we want to participate.
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3997

·
Registered
171 Posts
Re: It's that time of year again!!

My suggestion.....

1) Dump any connection to the Scion Club Hot Wheels Toys for Tots drive. I contributed as a member of Element Owners Club last year. About 3500 of our cars were disqualified from the "contest" because they were collected before the "official" start date of the contest. That pretty much bummed everyone out and people quit contributing at all after about November 15 or so.

2) If we're participating in the Scion group's contest, make sure we don't collect a dollar or a single car before the official start of the contest. They evidently watch all sites closely and will notice the early start.

3) I'd suggest finding one or two worthy organizations to receive our contributions of money or toys. Boy's and Girl's Club, a local food bank, or ??

4)Buy all sorts of toys and other "stuff".

5) Look for an ROC "volunteer" to chair the effort. I hear those that drive silver Ridgelines are the best candidates. :D :D

JB

·
Registered
7,327 Posts

Why, even if we win, so what? It's not about us.
2. Do we want to do what we did last year and just buy all kinds of different stuff and donate it.
Works for me.
How about to a childrens hospital. Maybe even to the hospital that's caring for Twintym's g-kids.
Well, it has to be a woman. Too much shopping for a man. :rolleyes:
5. The Scion club big cheese in charge is looking for a new name for the function. What do you suggest??
Not interested in the Scion Club.
That would make contributions easy.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts

I like what happened last year here.... besides, I would have to look it up, but we already had pledges back in Jan 06 :)

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Ok gang....we need some input here. Thanks to the 3 members who have offered suggestions. I don't have an issue if you you want to just go by their advice but we need to move on this. Christmas is less than 12 weeks away and we should have this done by the first week of December.

I like the idea of a Children's Hospital. We do have Rainbow Babies and Children's here in Cleveland. Children from all over the world come here. I would be happy to do this event again this year. Or......another hospital is good too.
I'm also with the Pizza man...competition is fun but this is not about us. I say let's just do it on our own. Collect donations starting now, shop and donate.
Sahll I just take the bull by the horns or wait for more suggestions????
What say you? Speak soon or forever hold your ideas. :D

:p

·
Registered
7,327 Posts

LadyRidge said:
Ok gang....we need some input here. I say let's just do it on our own. Collect donations starting now, shop and donate.
Shall I just take the bull by the horns or wait for more suggestions????
What say you? Speak soon or forever hold your ideas. :D:p
Time is growing short, as you say. Open it up for another week for more input, then make your decisions. On our own works for me, as long as you can post pics of the actual presentation. I would love to see the smiles our donations create.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

jsant01 said:
Time is growing short, as you say. Open it up for another week for more input, then make your decisions. On our own works for me, as long as you can post pics of the actual presentation. I would love to see the smiles our donations create.
If this is what we do, I would love to have ROC heads who are able to come present them as a group. I have a great connection at Rainbow. Here is the link to how I have helped at Rainbow. if you go to contact us on the page, you will see a picture of my friend Sharon.
I can probably get media there too. I also have connections at Channel 19 and Fox 8. :)

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Ok...here it is.

The Scion club is doing a cash count this year so we not only can raise funds and give to the Charity of our choice, but we can mix in a little friendly competition among car clubs on the net as well. :)

I'll be detailing ( get it ;) ) this with TMac and post the results.
Stay tuned and get out your check books. :)

·
ROC Founder, Admin
2,613 Posts
Question...

In the past, this has been a Toy Drive but it required purchase of HotWheels or Matchboxes (since it was a car forum/club contest).

This year, do we still want it to be a Toy Drive going to Toys For Tots but we can donate cash or toys?

The only feedback I've gotten from recent drives is that this is a great thing but people feel more inclined to donate when it affects kids in their region or area. Anyone have any ideas on how we can still accomplish something like this as one big group like we are? It's a valid point.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts

jsant01 said:
Why, even if we win, so what? It's not about us.
Works for me.
How about to a childrens hospital. Maybe even to the hospital that's caring for Twintym's g-kids.
Well, it has to be a woman. Too much shopping for a man. :rolleyes:
Not interested in the Scion Club.
That would make contributions easy.
You are very thoughtful Pizza Man. My grandchildren were born at Loma Linda Children's Hospital here in California. Although my grand-daughter Summer has come home, my grandson Andrew is still at Loma Linda and probably will be for another month or so. This is a great hospital with a dedicated staff. I would love to find a way to help all the kids at Loma Linda. Please let me know what everyone decides to do. Thanks again for thinking of our family.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'm in for whatever the majority of people want to do. My only (well-intended) suggestion would be to not have any affiliation whatsoever with the Scion Club's Toys for Tot's drive. I personally could care less about "winning" the contest. I just remember following the donations over at the EOC last year. There was a lot of enthusiasm and regular contributions until the decision was made that 3000+ of our cars were disqualified by the Scion club because we started collecting too soon. Donations "dried up" to nothing after that decision.

If anything, let's have a friendly wager with the EOC. Let's get some friendly banter going between the clubs to hype the event. And then, schedule some type of joint meet next year and have the club members of the group that collects the least money this holiday season wash and wax the vehicles of the "winning" club (or cook lunch) (or buy the beer?).:D :D :D

JB

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maybe we should have a person from each major city delegated as a co-chairperson/coordinator. Collect the money on our own ( not as a competition ), starting Monday, put it into an account one member has access to. Require that member to give a daily report of activity and publish a log of donations, if necessary. At the end of our drive, we can divide the money evenly among the individual coordinators and in turn they can go shopping and take it to the charity that area has chosen. I love the idea of a Children's Hospital. Great idea Joe and Dan. :) I don't mind being in charge but I want the giving to go further than my area.

Ok...so this idea like just popped into my head so...please add to my thoughts. I am open for ANY suggestions!!
The only thing I ask is that we move on this actively. Christmas is a busy time for most everyone in one way or another.

Ok..the clock is ticking. Add your thoughts and ideas. I'll compile them by Sunday's end and send them to TMac so he can make the final decision.

Ready...set...THINK!!!!:p

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
LadyRidge said:
Maybe we should have a person from each major city delegated as a co-chairperson/coordinator. Collect the money on our own ( not as a competition ), starting Monday, put it into an account one member has access to. Require that member to give a daily report of activity and publish a log of donations, if necessary. Ready...set...THINK!!!!:p
My opinion... You are talking about a major organization with a ton of required communication and interface. How about putting the name of the 14 ROC regions into a hat and pulling a winning region and 1 or 2 others regions as alternates. Then look for someone from the winning region to volunteer to arrange the gift distribution to whatever charity within that region is agreed upon by the rest of us. The region coordinator will supply a list of potential charities. If no one from the winning region steps up then move on to the first runnerup region.

I'm leaning, however, toward Twintym's Loma Linda simply because it's a Children's hospital that has directly and still is affecting a club member's family. Either way is cool.

·
Registered
7,327 Posts

Twintym said:
You are very thoughtful Pizza Man. Thanks again for thinking of our family.
Don't mention it, Dan. I'm just happy the twins are progressing.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
jsant01 said:
I'm leaning, however, toward Twintym's Loma Linda simply because it's a Children's hospital that has directly and still is affecting a club member's family. Either way is cool.
Sounds good to me. :)

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I'm going to Loma Linda today to visit my grandson Andrew. I will try to talk to someone about a toy drive and see what they say. This is a great place that really cares for children. One of my twin daughters, Caitlin, was taken to Loma Linda when she was 8 after she nearly drowned at a church gathering. She had to be resuccitated by one of the parents and was then taken to a local hospital. Once there, they thought it best that she be transferred to Loma Linda. When she left the first hospital she was ashen and scared. By the time I met up with her at Loma Linda, she was pink and laughing again. The staff at Loma Linda genuinely cares for the people they treat. I hope we can supply toys for the many children at Loma Linda. They deserve a Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Sorry, I am out of town on business through Wednesday. I wasn't able to catch anyone at Loma Linda Saturday so I will call them on Thursday and get some info. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.