Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I have been lurking since the purchase of my 2018 Sport last October. I have been reading about the iVTM-4 and am super impressed with the truck overall. Just the right amount of comfort and utility for my needs. I recently rotated the tires and was surprised the rear diff is open (ie: wheels rotate freely during a tire change.) From what I have read the system is nearly identical to the SH-AWD in the Acuras and utilizes clutches to control torque management. I couldn't find the specifics to answer my question, just expected the rears to be engaged and not free spinning when I rotated the tires. Any more info on the system is greatly appreciated as I might have missed something in all my reading.

Otherwise I have done the real needed upgrades so far. Wired in Pop N Lock, Extang tri-fold cover, rear under seat storage liner, and upgraded the low beam headlights. Now on to the rear door opening issue, time to look into upgrading to heated mirrors, and need to get rid of that chrome front grill!

·
Administrator
24,350 Posts
VTM-4, SH-AWD, and iVTM-4 all use clutches to send power from the propeller shaft to each rear wheel. The default state of these clutches is fully off (disconnected).

All of these systems transfer power through a pinion and ring gear then through one clutch pack for each wheel. There are no spider and side gears like there are in a "conventional" open differential, so there is no power path until the clutch(es) are applied.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
VTM-4, SH-AWD, and iVTM-4 all use clutches to send power from the propeller shaft to each rear wheel. The default state of these clutches is fully off (disconnected).

All of these systems transfer power through a pinion and ring gear then through one clutch pack for each wheel. There are no spider and side gears like there are in a "conventional" open differential, so there is no power path until the clutch(es) are applied.
Thank you, this is precisely the information I was looking for!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.