Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I need some help I was luck to get a short block from a tl shawd 2009, the short block is in need of a rebuild and also need 2 heads and a intake manifold. My question is what is needed to install this motor into my Ridgeline?? Also are all J series V6 heads interchangeable???

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have heard that the J35 series blocks are all identical with the heads being the only difference (Non-Vtec, Vtec, iVtec). Not sure how that corresponds to the 3.7 liter engine. Look at the part numbers for the various head gaskets and that may shed some light for you if they are different or not.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
You need an engine from a RL..... I'd suggest you just trade your non-RL block for an RL vesion.....
Since you need the whole engine anyway, try to trade your block for discount on a used motor (complete).
If you're going to try to outfit a bare block & you don't have those other elements (heads, manifolds, etc.), you're going to get set back a whole lot of buckaroos.
You're asking for trouble by mixing & matching, unless you're expert on the variations & compatibility factors..... and if you were you wouldn't be asking here. There are precious few who can tell you every little compatibility nuance of various engine applications & years.
If you REALLY want to know if the block is the same (identical/interchangeable) as RL, then just check the parts list under Honda Parts on-line (Bernardiparts.com or similar). Look up the "source" vehicle for your block & look up the RL. If they are NOT the same P/N, then you need a new plan.... unless you're a real gambler with your time & money.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts