Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell the minimum height I need to jack my 2020 Ridgeline, at the center front and rear jack lift points, to allow me to put jack stands under the four individual side jack points? Also, how high do the jack stands need to go?

I bought 4 jack stands with the intent of lifting at the front and rear center lift points with a floor jack and inserting jack stands at the 4 jack points and then quickly rotating my tires. My floor jack raises to 15 inches. This gets the tires off the floor a inch or two, but when I lower the jack so the vehicle sits on the maximum lift height I can rachet the stands to at this lift height, the wheels touch the floor when lowered to sit in the stands.

I'd actually prefer to pay to have this service performed, but prefer doing this myself to driving to and waiting over an hour for the 20 minute job to be completed.

·
Premium Member
2021 RTL-E
170 Posts
Welcome to the club!

(Sorry I can’t answer your question, I make an appointment at Discount Tire and they accomplish my rotation and balance in less than an hour.)

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have the same problem, my jack stands are advertised at max height of 17.125". I can't find a jack stand locally that exceeds that height, most are a tad lower actually. Since my stands work well on the other 2 cars and I don't need 8 stands in the garage I should find a strong spacer I can put under them. I think I only need an inch or two.

Mike

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
5,574 Posts
I have the same problem, my jack stands are advertised at max height of 17.125". I can't find a jack stand locally that exceeds that height, most are a tad lower actually. Since my stands work well on the other 2 cars and I don't need 8 stands in the garage I should find a strong spacer I can put under them. I think I only need an inch or two.

Mike
You can find jack spacers on Amazon, or a hockey puck can work in a pinch.

I'd be a little nervous about a 2xX piece of wood splitting under the weight.

·
Registered
2017 RTL
70 Posts
We use 3 ton jack stands, and they are plenty high enough to place under the side jack points and get all 4 wheels off of the ground for rotation purposes. If I remember, I can estimate the height needed this weekend. 2 ton jack stands are marginal.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Takes a little longer, but I jack up each side of the front via the pinch welds and put a jackstand under the subframe near where the control arm connects. There is a spot with 3 or so bolts that has always seemed quite solid. That leaves the whole front end up, then I jack up each rear and do the swap corner-corner while it is jacked up with a jackstand under there just for a fail safe. That is of course until I recently got a quick jack, but that is a whole different ballgame.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,551 Posts
On my G1 Ridgeline, I need to use a jackstand saddle height of around 18-19 inches to get the wheels off the ground. I've had several jackstands over the years and finally settled on the 6T units from Northern Tool. Various 3 and 4T jackstands could work, but they were at the limit of vertical travel and did not, shall we say, inspire confidence. I much prefer having the jackstand extended around mid-range.

If the G2 Ridgeline is similar to the G1, you can see this barely clears the wheels from the garage floor. The red jackstand in the pic is the 6T unit from Northern Tool. I have 4 of them and use my long frame floor jack on the center lift points to get the front high enough to slide the j/s in under the front pinch welds. Then go to the rear and use the rear center lift point to lift high enough to slide the j/s under the rear pinch welds. This is very stable and secure.

The red j/stands, in addition to being 6T units also have a safety key as well. I gave away the silver and orange j/s. I was not comfy with them extended to the top of their range to get the wheels clear of the ground.
Wood Ladder Automotive tire Tripod Gas

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light

·
Registered
302 Posts
You can find jack spacers on Amazon, or a hockey puck can work in a pinch.

I'd be a little nervous about a 2xX piece of wood splitting under the weight.
I'm talking about spacing under the jack stand not the jack.

Takes a little longer, but I jack up each side of the front via the pinch welds and put a jackstand under the subframe near where the control arm connects. There is a spot with 3 or so bolts that has always seemed quite solid. That leaves the whole front end up, then I jack up each rear and do the swap corner-corner while it is jacked up with a jackstand under there just for a fail safe. That is of course until I recently got a quick jack, but that is a whole different ballgame.
I'll try that next time, I need my 'short' jack stands for my race car and don't want 4 more stands or to spend $200 in those heavy duty stands for a once a year rotation.

Mike

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Jack it up on the front jack point in the center, position your 1ton jack stands under the lower control arms, subframe and let the jack down slowly, no need to put jacks under the rockers. Key here is a good hydraulic jack. I find that it is always better to put them under the LCA and as the jack goes down the suspension compresses and keeps the tires off the ground. Do the same in the rear.

Picture was when I was installing my exhaust but I was able to remove the wheel at this height on my G1. The G2 isn't much different.

by GhostYK1, on Flickr

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
168 Posts
I went with 6T jacks by Torin Big Red. Got them from Walmart. Feels really safe and stable. I barely have to extend them to get the truck high enough to rotate the tires. This past weekend was a marathon. Changed the oil, rear diff, and rotated the tires on my RL, then changed my wife’s oil and rotated the tires on her CRV. Changing my rear diff was easier than changing the oil. Glad I had the jack stands. Them and the floor jack have already paid for themselves.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Wow..... Look at the amount of travel that has to be overcome in that suspension. You could half that height if you put shorter jack stands directly under the LCA's. I don't extend my smaller jack stands....

On another note, I am not big fan of using jack stands on the edges of the rocker pinch weld joints. I know they say they are jack points. However, you are not supposed to put all the weight on a small area of the edge. The intended use is to use the supplied scissor jacks that are designed to have the pinch weld seam fit down inside the jack and it takes up the weight with the reinforced section of the rockers.

by GhostYK1, on Flickr

As an apprentice at a local garage I only had to fold over one of those rocker jacking points with a hoist to be told "you never lift a vehicle using the rocker jacking points"..... Now I always move my stands into the inner frame rails, subframe or suspension. I don't have my manual here but I'm pretty sure I remember there are designated spots designated for hoisting/maintaining weight. Just my own thing, if using the pinch welds works, give'er!

·
Super Moderator
23,551 Posts
Wow..... Look at the amount of travel that has to be overcome in that suspension. You could half that height if you put shorter jack stands directly under the LCA's. I don't extend my smaller jack stands....

On another note, I am not big fan of using jack stands on the edges of the rocker pinch weld joints. I know they say they are jack points. However, you are not supposed to put all the weight on a small area of the edge. The intended use is to use the supplied scissor jacks that are designed to have the pinch weld seam fit down inside the jack and it takes up the weight with the reinforced section of the rockers.

by GhostYK1, on Flickr

As an apprentice at a local garage I only had to fold over one of those rocker jacking points with a hoist to be told "you never lift a vehicle using the rocker jacking points"..... Now I always move my stands into the inner frame rails, subframe or suspension. I don't have my manual here but I'm pretty sure I remember there are designated spots designated for hoisting/maintaining weight. Just my own thing, if using the pinch welds works, give'er!
That's a good point. Anecdotally, all I can say is I've never had a problem in many years of doing it my way using the pinch welds on the jackstand saddles. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
381 Posts
Interesting I opened this string today. I have a package waiting at home right now.
After my suspension re-do, I decided I needed some of these for my stands vs. steel saddles direct on the pinch welds. Should be handy for all the vehicles in the Vlad garage.
Product Font Screenshot Logo Circle

Reactions: GhostYK1

·
Super Moderator
23,551 Posts
A long time ago I bought a hockey puck to use for the pinch welds. Never got around to modifying it... and have no idea where it resides now.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL
31 Posts
I have a harbor freight pittsburg 3t low profile rapid floor jack, which goes up 19" inches and put a hockey puck on it, than use esco 10498 pin type jack stands set to about 16-17" on side jack points, tire are about 2+" off ground.

·
Registered
2020 Sport
178 Posts
I'd actually prefer to pay to have this service performed, but prefer doing this myself to driving to and waiting over an hour for the 20 minute job to be completed.
Welcome to the forum on your very first post.

I get mine done for free from where I buy my tires from.

I have two sets of tires and stock wheels, winter and the other seasons here in the Black Hills of South Dakota and rotate them.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts