Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Welcome to the forum on your very first post.

I get mine done for free from where I buy my tires from.

I have two sets of tires and stock wheels, winter and the other seasons here in the Black Hills of South Dakota and rotate them.
So you get free tire and balance installs twice a year?....That is an amazing deal. Not getting that anywhere around here. You may get the first install and balance when you first buy the tires. But after that, it's $80 in the spring and another $80 in the fall. That's why I have two sets of rims and spend 30 minutes doing it myself.

·
Registered
2020 Sport
178 Posts
So you get free tire and balance installs twice a year?....That is an amazing deal. Not getting that anywhere around here. You may get the first install and balance when you first buy the tires. But after that, it's $80 in the spring and another $80 in the fall. That's why I have two sets of rims and spend 30 minutes doing it myself.
Yes. Free installs as it's R & R.
Been doing business with them for years

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
That sounds like a good deal. However, rotating tires is not the same as a seasonal tire change, where they have to remove one set of tires and install and balance another twice a year. If you can get that for 2-4 years free, that is a good deal.

And I would be a shock if they balance them every time.... As an apprentice mechanic, I was always told when doing a wheel rotation, "if the customer is not complaining about a shake or shimmy at the time, don't waste time balancing them, they are good to go. The shake is in the wheels not it's location on the vehicle." I have had the same tires balanced on 2 sets of wheels for years and they have only ever been balanced when they were initially installed. Now, if they do, good on them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You can find jack spacers on Amazon, or a hockey puck can work in a pinch.

I'd be a little nervous about a 2xX piece of wood splitting under the weight.
If you wish to use wood for a jack stand spacer, use the big construction Mats as your guide. They have alternating layers of thin wood & some plywood built up to 12" thick with sections bolted together. Having spots made for the legs will help keep shifting down. Think about the surface area in contact with the stand and under surface.
For my driveway work with some grass, gravel, concrete strips, I use old Brake Rotors under my stands, which may have one side just a little bit lower. then I just switch jack to the other side block the jack with a 4x4 to get a little bit more height. Wood pads probably would speed up what I have to deal with but the vehicle has always been stable. I a tire need just a little lift for R&R, the I have a smaller jack for that momentary 2" lift action.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,551 Posts
Amazon has plenty of 3 ton 20.5 inch stands.
If they are like the 3 and 4T jackstands I've used in the past, they have to be raised to the upper limit (or nearly so) in order for the tires to clear the pavement (assuming you're using the pinchwelds to support the vehicle). I didn't find using jackstands at their upper limit very comfy when I crawl underneath to do any work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can anyone tell the minimum height I need to jack my 2020 Ridgeline, at the center front and rear jack lift points, to allow me to put jack stands under the four individual side jack points? Also, how high do the jack stands need to go?

I bought 4 jack stands with the intent of lifting at the front and rear center lift points with a floor jack and inserting jack stands at the 4 jack points and then quickly rotating my tires. My floor jack raises to 15 inches. This gets the tires off the floor a inch or two, but when I lower the jack so the vehicle sits on the maximum lift height I can rachet the stands to at this lift height, the wheels touch the floor when lowered to sit in the stands.

I'd actually prefer to pay to have this service performed, but prefer doing this myself to driving to and waiting over an hour for the 20 minute job to be completed.
I opted for several Powerbuilt 3-ton All-In-One Jacks (https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/powerbuilt-3-ton-all-in-one-jack-1160455). It's a bottle jack + jack stand combo. You can just slip it under the jack lift point, raise your truck to the height you want, then lock the jack stand at that height for safety. Makes rotating my tires an easy project.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,551 Posts
I opted for several Powerbuilt 3-ton All-In-One Jacks (https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/powerbuilt-3-ton-all-in-one-jack-1160455). It's a bottle jack + jack stand combo. You can just slip it under the jack lift point, raise your truck to the height you want, then lock the jack stand at that height for safety. Makes rotating my tires an easy project.
That looks similar to one I bought years ago and never used. I couldn't get it low enough to get under the lift point iirc. I'll have to pull it out of the box and see what I find.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Can anyone tell the minimum height I need to jack my 2020 Ridgeline, at the center front and rear jack lift points, to allow me to put jack stands under the four individual side jack points? Also, how high do the jack stands need to go?

I bought 4 jack stands with the intent of lifting at the front and rear center lift points with a floor jack and inserting jack stands at the 4 jack points and then quickly rotating my tires. My floor jack raises to 15 inches. This gets the tires off the floor a inch or two, but when I lower the jack so the vehicle sits on the maximum lift height I can rachet the stands to at this lift height, the wheels touch the floor when lowered to sit in the stands.

I'd actually prefer to pay to have this service performed, but prefer doing this myself to driving to and waiting over an hour for the 20 minute job to be completed.
I have a pair of jack stands from Harbor Freight that go up to 23 inches and a pair I made in my HS shop class back in 1963 or 64 that go up to 24 inches. I never used these past the 18 or 20 inch mark. I do have a dual cylinder jack from Harbor Freight that goes up to 20 inches.

I always have a couple of inches before the tires touch the floor when I drop the vehicle down on the jacks.Maybe you need a higher lift jack and/or something solid under your stands to create room to free your tires if your stands are too short.

Just be safe about it and get good quality tools so you don't hurt yourself or others.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Thanks for all the great information everyone. Just curious, I've never looked closely enough to know, where does the dealership lift at when putting a Ridgeline up on their hoist?

21 - 32 of 32 Posts