Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Jasper remanufactured Honda engine

Tags
engine jasper
6K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  MaintMech 
#1 ·
Hi everybody. I have a 2008 RTL. Have totally loved it. Need a new engine because of scuffed cylinder wall. Looking at a Jasper remanufactured Honda engine. Anyone have experience with Jasper? Thanks.

#2 ·
I don't have any experience with them. But am curious about your 2008 experience. How many miles on it and what has the service history been like? Any idea what caused the scuffed cylinder wall?

I also have a 2008 Ridgeline and at 120k miles, am just now having the first major service done with TB/WP, etc. All looks good and I fully expect another trouble-free 120k miles out of it, short of something catastrophic happening.

#3 ·
My FIL has been a professional engine builder for many years with experience in Domestic and Japanese engines. Using his experience, I posed this question in 2018 when I started to look into Jasper engines. He said they are good and apparently insurance companies source (sometimes) replacement engines from them due to cost.
I hope we are talking about these guys >> Remanufactured engines, transmissions and differentials | JASPER Engines

Scuffed cylinder walls have many causes. It could be due to inadequate lubrication, engine overheating, inadequate ring back clearance, insufficient ring gap, incorrect timing or the piston pin being too tight limiting free motion. Could also be worn out journal bearings. These are just few cases on an OEM engine (assuming) with all stock fuel and ignition controls. Modified engines could have multitude of causes.

#4 ·
I have purchased a rebuilt transmission for an Accord from them.... or at least my mechanic did. It worked perfectly for as long as I owned that Accord which was YEARS!

#5 ·
One of the independent shops I worked at installed Jasper engines. For the most part, they were great (we prob installed 25 of their motors in different vehicles). We did have two engines (that I remember) that we had to immediately replace. One had a crack in a head, the other a crack in the block. Both engines leaked coolant before ever being started. Both times, Jasper quickly shipped replacements, but we still had to do the jobs twice. Considering their strict checks and balances, not sure how those obvious defects got past them, but things happen sometimes. For us, they paid some of the labor through their warranty program. Not sure how that works for a home install. Look for an authorized Jasper warranty shop in your area to make sure that if there is an issue, you don't have to go far.

#6 ·
My son had a Jasper 4.7 V-8 installed in his Jeep Grand Cherokee. 10K later the timing chain had to be replaced. It was from the original motor. So be aware that all of the stuff you swap from the old motor to the new is already been in play for some time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.