Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
I've seen several articles/reports of this over the last few weeks.

Have you seen any official announcement from Fiat-Chrysler (FCA)? I don't see an official announcement referenced in the article.

The original 2003 Jeep Gladiator concept was sweet... would've definitely purchased one of those. Not so sure my back could handle the ride any longer.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The info I've seen seems to hint there are leaks from within FCA that they are moving fwd with mass producing the truck after seeing the popularity of the aftermarket "bed" kits that are being installed now on Wranglers.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Not so sure my back could handle the ride any longer.
Based on the reliability of some Jeep/Chrysler products your back might get regular rest periods.

Seriously, I am surprised they did not jump into trucks sooner.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I have to say, my 2015 Grand Cherokee (which now has 30K miles) has been flawless. I have been following the Ridgeline Gen2 progress because all three of my Ridgeline's were also flawless, and I miss having a truck bed so I could see another RL in my future. But if Jeep does end up manufacturing a pickup I'll definitely check it out. All of that being said, if it won't compare to Gen2 RL in terms of comfort or utility it'll be a non-starter for me.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
I always liked the look of the Honcho. The Gladiator (seen in the movie Tremors) was also cool. Hopefully they can keep the pointed nose on them.

Chip H.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
I always liked the look of the Honcho. The Gladiator (seen in the movie Tremors) was also cool. Hopefully they can keep the pointed nose on them.

Chip H.
Being 'Jeep' they will have to shy away from those big square Dodge grills and adopt something else. Trucks with vertical bar grills don't seem to catch on though.

·
Registered
790 Posts
A lot of companies going into the truck market, a lot of choices being made, but I will still stick with Honda or Toyota for both cars and trucks, dont want a money pit on stuff that should be built the right way the first time.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,609 Posts
I have to say, my 2015 Grand Cherokee (which now has 30K miles) has been flawless. I have been following the Ridgeline Gen2 progress because all three of my Ridgeline's were also flawless, and I miss having a truck bed so I could see another RL in my future. But if Jeep does end up manufacturing a pickup I'll definitely check it out. All of that being said, if it won't compare to Gen2 RL in terms of comfort or utility it'll be a non-starter for me.
A Jeep pickup will probably have a whole lot more in common with the Wrangler than your Grand Cherokee. Feel free to read up on Wrangler reliability if you care to but the condensed version is that is has always been poor and the recent models haven't shown much improvement.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
A Jeep pickup will probably have a whole lot more in common with the Wrangler than your Grand Cherokee. Feel free to read up on Wrangler reliability if you care to but the condensed version is that is has always been poor and the recent models haven't shown much improvement.
He's more than aware of Wrangler's reliability. He owned one a few years ago.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Eh, to each his own I guess. I never had problems with my Jeep Wrangler and I wasn't particularly nice to it.... I sewed my wild oats with that Jeep and I just thank God it wasn't with a sports car or crotch rocket or I may not be here today...... 6 years, lots of mud, some scraped up skid plates and just about 60k miles on it. Bought it brand new in 2002 for $21,000 and sold it 6 years later for $14k.... can't beat that.

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,609 Posts
He's more than aware of Wrangler's reliability. He owned one a few years ago.
Yes but he seems to be equating the 30k miles of flawless service of his new GC to what one would expect in a new Jeep pickup.

Overall, both initial build quality and component longevity are pretty important in a vehicle (at least to someone like me who wants to get to at least 150k without major issues) 30k of flawless service is good testimony the GCs build quality. Its a bit soon to say what the experience will be like at 100k. I would expect it to be better than a Wrangler at 100k.

Individual experiences may certainly vary but when compared to other vehicles in its class (or in any class for that matter) the Wrangler has an extremely poor reliability history. Its off road prowess is also matched by extreme compromises in its on road driving experience and not to mention abysmal fuel economy.

I'm sure the rugged looks and off road capability of Wrangler based pickup would get a lot of people excited, my self included. However, living with it as a daily driver would all most certainly be more like a kick in the nuts.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Yes, I wasn't happy with the Wrangler I owned (2012 Sahara 2dr, purchased new)... and I ranted about it on this forum. Because I put so many miles on my vehicles I do tend to trade them in fairly frequently... but at least I waited to 70-80K miles on each of my three Ridgeline's because I liked them so much. Even though my Wrangler was a POS (and I agree, individual vehicles vary and anybody can get a lemon), it held its value on trade just like the RL's have for me, so I didn't get burned. And I agree with eurban's comments above regarding poor mileage, poor daily driver ride, etc. for the wrangler. If the Jeep pickup is more like the wrangler than the GC in terms of ride and handling (likely) I won't look at it. But if it looks like the wrangler and drives like the GC (similarly to the current RL, which gets significantly better mileage than the RL, possibly because of the 8spd transmission), I'd definitely take a look. Like another poster said earlier, the competition is a good thing for those of us who are fans of the RL and gen2 RL.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Yes but he seems to be equating the 30k miles of flawless service of his new GC to what one would expect in a new Jeep pickup.

Overall, both initial build quality and component longevity are pretty important in a vehicle (at least to someone like me who wants to get to at least 150k without major issues) 30k of flawless service is good testimony the GCs build quality. Its a bit soon to say what the experience will be like at 100k. I would expect it to be better than a Wrangler at 100k.

Individual experiences may certainly vary but when compared to other vehicles in its class (or in any class for that matter) the Wrangler has an extremely poor reliability history. Its off road prowess is also matched by extreme compromises in its on road driving experience and not to mention abysmal fuel economy.

I'm sure the rugged looks and off road capability of Wrangler based pickup would get a lot of people excited, my self included. However, living with it as a daily driver would all most certainly be more like a kick in the nuts.
Wrangler's fuel economy is 16 City, 20 Hwy for the 4x4 four door automatic. What's abysmal about that?

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
If the Jeep pickup is more like the wrangler than the GC in terms of ride and handling (likely) I won't look at it. But if it looks like the wrangler and drives like the GC (similarly to the current RL, which gets significantly better mileage than the RL, possibly because of the 8spd transmission), I'd definitely take a look. Like another poster said earlier, the competition is a good thing for those of us who are fans of the RL and gen2 RL.
This will be interesting to keep an eye on. What will the truck be based off of, the Wragler or the GC.

The Wangler look with GC ride & AWD would be pretty cool.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts