Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my brother in law stops by today on his way to his ski house in a brand new aqua colored Jeep Wrangler. He had talked a few months back at how his bride wanted one and if I knew anything. I told him I know Jeeps are a culture and they have good resale value but not much else. I did text him a week or so with a link of the Jeep tipping over in the crash test. Anyway, this thing was brand new had 353 miles on it of which 200 were from the trip up here. The roof looked like it opened up completely. I asked him which engine it had and he hadn't a clue but he gave me the window sticker. It had the 2.0T with the electric recovery thing but the sticker was 51K!!! He paid in the low 40s though. Are you kidding me. It said Sahara on the side of the front fender Have never seen that color before, would be great for a Miami Dolphins fan. I thought it was very narrow on the inside but they come up a lot to their ski house which doesn't have a paved road so I guess it will be a winner for them.

·
Super Moderator
1,474 Posts
My neighbor who drove Acura one day shows up with a 4door Wrangler. I figured mid life crisis hit hard. He washes it constantly. I've never seen mud on it (off roading).

Steve

·
Registered
38 Posts
That aqua color is pretty rough on the eyes. Long time Wrangler owner here - though I would never have one as a daily driver. The build quality is horrible. That being said, they are a ton of fun to drive, the harsher the conditions the better.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The two doors sure hold their value tho. I had my last Rubi for 4 years and sold it for what I paid (I got an admittedly great deal initially).

·
Administrator
15,217 Posts
It had the 2.0T with the electric recovery thing but the sticker was 51K!!! He paid in the low 40s though. Are you kidding me. It said Sahara on the side of the front fender
And, the Sahara is just a mid-level trim. The upper trims like the Rubicon Recon and High Altitude can hit the mid-$60K MSRP range and easily push past $70K with dealer add-ons. :)

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And, the Sarah is just a mid-level trim. The upper trims like the Rubicon Recon and High Altitude can hit the mid-$60K MSRP range and easily push past $70K with dealer add-ons. :)
Everyting he has had recently now is FCA. In all fairness, he has had little to no trouble with his Durangos so he is sold. Ironically, I suggested he get a CRV in 2016. When the battery died last year, he gave me grief and unloaded it on his kid. He also hated its ride. Yes, batteries are small potatoes but he will not be a repeat Honda customer. He is your typical buyer, had no clue that his CRV had a CVT or that his Jeep had a turbo.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My wife really wants a Yellow Jeep Wrangler, I had a friend that had one (mechanically savvy). He told me wranglers are fine as long as you do maintenance but be careful of other jeep products. I predict we'll be buying one in the next couple years so guess i'll get to see :)

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
3,903 Posts
My wife really wants a Yellow Jeep Wrangler, I had a friend that had one (mechanically savvy). He told me wranglers are fine as long as you do maintenance but be careful of other jeep products. I predict we'll be buying one in the next couple years so guess i'll get to see :)
Aside from the mechanical reliability of a vehicle, in this era of high speed and increasingly impatient and unskilled drivers, basic vehicle safety is paramount. I would presume that you have extensively looked at the NHTSA crash testing and analysis of the wranglers and both you and your wife still would like to purchase one?

In 2015, my boss (at that time) had a 4-door and after showing him the crash test, he promptly traded it in (1-week later) and got an MDX. He has three kids.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Aside from the mechanical reliability of a vehicle, in this era of high speed and increasingly impatient and unskilled drivers, basic vehicle safety is paramount. I would presume that you have extensively looked at the NHTSA crash testing and analysis of the wranglers and both you and your wife still would like to purchase one?

In 2015, my boss (at that time) had a 4-door and after showing him the crash test, he promptly traded it in (1-week later) and got an MDX. He has three kids.
Smufguy, I have seen the video (I'm guessing your talking about the video where it rolls over during the overlap test?). I have showed her the video, I also showed her the "death wobble" video. While I'm not really keen on a Wrangler for a daily driver, it has been her dream vehicle for awhile. My main concern is major mechanical issues and major safety issues. I am hoping with the 4door the extra wheel base helps with rollovers and she wants a hard top which seems more on the safe side. There are factors like ride height and other things that are used for offloading that will keep it from coming close to the safety of other SUVs. She also had her boss that had one as a rental and told her she hated the way it drove on the highway :LOL: I think some things in life you just have to experience for yourself to figure it out. It doesn't seem so far to be a death trap which is what I'm worried about. But yes you are right there are some large safety risks. I appreciate the input :)

·
Premium Member
4,011 Posts
Smufguy, I have seen the video (I'm guessing your talking about the video where it rolls over during the overlap test?). I have showed her the video, I also showed her the "death wobble" video. While I'm not really keen on a Wrangler for a daily driver, it has been her dream vehicle for awhile. My main concern is major mechanical issues and major safety issues. I am hoping with the 4door the extra wheel base helps with rollovers and she wants a hard top which seems more on the safe side. There are factors like ride height and other things that are used for offloading that will keep it from coming close to the safety of other SUVs. She also had her boss that had one as a rental and told her she hated the way it drove on the highway :LOL: I think some things in life you just have to experience for yourself to figure it out. It doesn't seem so far to be a death trap which is what I'm worried about. But yes you are right there are some large safety risks. I appreciate the input :)
It might be financially worth it to rent one for a week, let her drive the heck out of it (road trip), and then let her make up her mind.

·
Registered
85 Posts
It might be financially worth it to rent one for a week, let her drive the heck out of it (road trip), and then let her make up her mind.
Not a bad idea longboat, she get's to see how it really drives and I get to look at the scenery... Win-Win :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
That is a good idea. Also check out how much effort it is to remove and store a 4-door hardtop. And yes ,the death wobble is a scary thing!

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
3,903 Posts
Not particularly the new generation (2018+) but the previous generation. I believe it was the 2015 one. 2015 Jeep Wrangler 4-door SUV
I told my boss that he was driving a coffin on wheels. The rating for that generation was very poor. The current generation seems to be okay.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Not particularly the new generation (2018+) but the previous generation. I believe it was the 2015 one. 2015 Jeep Wrangler 4-door SUV
I told my boss that he was driving a coffin on wheels. The rating for that generation was very poor. The current generation seems to be okay.
that would be the "JK" generation. Honestly, I would not consider a wrangler to be a safe vehicle, no matter what the generation. I have a "YJ" (94), no track or sway bars, very little protection besides the 1/4" steel bumpers. I generally dont take it on the highway or any speed over 40mph. I cringe to think of getting in an accident with it.

Its good to see the new generation "JL" has much better crash ratings.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ya I see what you mean, seems like there are no front side airbags which probably didn't help with it's rating but at least it didn't flip on the small overlap? Tires did get off the ground. I see even the redesigned 2018 still doesn't have side airbags for rear passengers. Looks like the rear passengers will have to wear a helmet. Definitely a good call on your coworker since he has kids, I would not have them back there. We don't have kids but will keep that in mind on traveling with people. Glad to see the RL does pretty well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts