Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem, or has suggestions.

2007 Ridgeline, ~87k miles. For some time now, when I'm coming to a higher speed stop, or slowing down significantly on the highway (we live on a mountain, so I have some excuse), the car stutters to a stop instead of braking smoothly--like the brakes are gripping, releasing, and gripping again.

This happens consistently for me, though the dealer's service says the brakes are fine and they see no issues after two checks.

Does anyone have suggestions (aside from a new garage) of what I might try?

Thanks in advance..

·
Registered
835 Posts

2007 Ridgeline, ~87k miles. For some time now, when I'm coming to a higher speed stop, or slowing down significantly on the highway (we live on a mountain, so I have some excuse), the car stutters to a stop instead of braking smoothly--like the brakes are gripping, releasing, and gripping again.

This happens consistently for me, though the dealer's service says the brakes are fine and they see no issues after two checks.

Thanks in advance..
Your truck comes equipped with anti-lock brakes. Normal response, with heavy braking, going downhill.

2007? Have you ever replaced the brake pads/rotors? Ever replaced the brake fluid?

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Agreed. Sounds like the ABS is working.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I would not think the ABS would actuate on smooth dry pavement unless these significant braking activities are approaching a lockup, or if there is gravel. water, ice, or loose sand on the road or if you are turning while braking.

I could easily be missing something but the description could also be warped rotors, although that leaves me with the follow on question .... why did the dealer not find anything wrong?

Stumped

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's not the ABS--that's much more dramatic when they kick in. Though this is enough of an issue that my kids comment on it.

I have replaced pads and rotors previously. Current pads are ~30%.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
1. ABS activates ONLY when sensor notices a slipping/locking wheel. This is normal to occur, when you go downhill (OP's environment) and road is "washboard" asphalt. Then wheels start bouncing on it and skipping, tripping ABS response.
2. If it's not brakes, then it's transmission, erratically shifting down. Plenty of posts on that trannie doing all kinds of vibrations.

·
Registered
835 Posts
One other thing to check...

Are the wheel lug nuts torqued correctly? I think it is 92 or 95 ft/lbs (someone will correct me).

If they were over-torqued, it could cause the rotors to warp.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got it. OK, many thanks for the input--I'm guessing rotors, and will try another (more thorough?) garage...

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,436 Posts
ABS has always been a buzzy thing in my experience. Grip/release and repeat sure sounds like warped rotors to me.

I'll be curious what you find.

Edit: OldNorkse, your memory is close. The wheel nut torque is 93 lb-ft.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I agree on the rotors. These vehicles are very sensitive when it comes to tightening the lug nuts and some gorilla at a dealer or tire shop will just use the air impact tool to run them down until they don't move any more.

Bad JuJu!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Hey Speed, there is a fellow that is in an emergency situation. Seems he is on the road to family for T-day and his ridge just started running rough and he had to pull over. No fluids leaking, check engine light and VTM light on. Idlleing rough.

It's emergency need help.

Jack

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Speed is probably slobbering on a pillow right about now. Big day tomorrow.

·
Registered
2013 Honda Ridgeline
783 Posts
Hey Speed, there is a fellow that is in an emergency situation. Seems he is on the road to family for T-day and his ridge just started running rough and he had to pull over. No fluids leaking, check engine light and VTM light on. Idlleing rough.

It's emergency need help.

Jack
So what happened?

·
Super Moderator
23,436 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
How long ago did you get new Tires? I have a similar issue with the wife's accord. Still on Factory front pads, but shutter started after new tires were put on.
MM just hit 15% so I'll rotate tires soon and see if that clears up a bit. Funny there is no bouncing or out of balance issues while driving.

·
Super Moderator
23,436 Posts
Braking issue started after new tires put on... sounds like over torqued wheel nuts and possible warped rotors to me.. too much coincidence there. ;)

·
Registered
677 Posts

Thanks in advance..

It sounds like you might be feeling the transmission downshifting as you come to a stop. Easy way to test this is to put the transmission in neutral and come to a stop. I've mistaken this for warped rotors before.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
ABS activation would have some kick-back on the brake pedal -- the OP would easily feel it.

I am also leaning towards lug nut torque.

Chip H.

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
I am also leaning towards lug nut torque.

Chip H.
... I always learn something here.. :act029: thanks. Now someone please explain how a coupla LB of extra torque on the lug nuts would affect the brakes ?
Don't the calipers tend to "float" when the brakes are not in operation ?

call me "puzzled "

:act030:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts