Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Upgrading my stock speakers. I'm really only interested in JL Audio speakers. Looking to do components up front and coaxial in the rear. Maybe components in the rear, who knows.Anyone have experience with the c2, vr650,xr650 series? I want to make sure the mounting space will work with stock mounting locations. I'd say looking at a total budget of around $300-400

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
I have the C2 up front. Went with the 5-1/4" drivers because of uncertainty around mounting depth. Probably could/should have gone with the 6" model without any problems. Still would have needed adapters, though.

I have the mid driver mounted in the stock location and the tweeter mounted on the mirror sail panel. Not the best choices for sound quality, but didn't want to fabricate a kick-panel for them.

The silk dome tweeter is very smooth and the set has very good sound quality. Would be well suited for vocals, classical, jazz, and some dance music. Probably not suited for metal or anything with a hard edge to it (industrial), where you'd probably want a metal dome tweeter.

Chip H.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
May I ask why you're only looking at JL?

There are plenty of competing brands.. many perform well above JL at the same price point.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
May I ask why you're only looking at JL?

There are plenty of competing brands.. many perform well above JL at the same price point.
Ha-ha, that's like asking someone why A Honda Ridgeline, when there are plenty of competing brands.. many perform well above RL at the same price point. :act006:

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've got the XR650 components up front and VR650 coaxial in the rear doors. Both mounted with a 3/4 mdf round baffle, no clearance issues at all. Tweeters for the XR650 actually fit perfectly into the factory tweeter pods. You can pop out the factory and with very little effort get the JL's to fit in. Not the best sound to reflect off the windshield but completely stealth was my goal. There are other brands that might out perform JL at this price level, but I've been using JL since the early 90's in all my cars and most installs I did in the past. Very rare to find a JL product go bad after many, many years of use and abuse.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Decided on going with the Jl Audio c5 components up front and c2 coaxials for the rear. 6.5" configuration (650) on both. Crossing my fingers on whether or not they will fit. I was going to go the route of running the 650xr's but I didn't want the tweeters to fight each other(ie silk dome vs metal dome vs other fabric) so I ran with the silk domes in both. To answer "why I'm only interested in JL?" the other post reply reasonably answers that. Brand loyalty to a company that has served me well in the past, that and running with the assumption that JL configures their speakers to compliment their other products. Already having the jl amps and subwoofers it just makes sense. I agree many other products may sound as good or better then JL at or below that price range, I love focals, MB's, Morel, etc. But hey, it makes it a lot easier when people ask what I have in there. JL.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts