Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I admit Joe was right - don't get one of the first 10,000. I got my BE on Monday -vin 1288 and am loving it. However, was showing it to my wife and tried opening the rear door sideways and only got a clinking sound. Earlier, I had loaded something in the trunk and it worked fine. Back to the dealer (Bel Air, MD Honda) who had to order a part to fix it. (will find out exact cause later). They apologized all over themselves and and gave me a trunk mat to make up for the problem. My first Ridgeline 2005 was flawless and was built in Canada. My next Ridge 2014 was built in Alabama and had several issues with mis-installed rubber door seals and bed rail molding. Final inspection should have caught these. Good luck everyone.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Let us know. Could be assembly or maybe not.

I can't find the combo I want anyway so in my case it will probably be 10K by the time one is available, not that there is anything magic about that number since problems do not vanish at VIN 11,001

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I admit Joe was right - don't get one of the first 10,000. I got my BE on Monday -vin 1288 and am loving it. However, was showing it to my wife and tried opening the rear door sideways and only got a clinking sound. Earlier, I had loaded something in the trunk and it worked fine. Back to the dealer (Bel Air, MD Honda) who had to order a part to fix it. (will find out exact cause later). They apologized all over themselves and and gave me a trunk mat to make up for the problem. My first Ridgeline 2005 was flawless and was built in Canada. My next Ridge 2014 was built in Alabama and had several issues with mis-installed rubber door seals and bed rail molding. Final inspection should have caught these. Good luck everyone.
That is still not something to really get to upset about.
I have posted that I purchased one of the first delivered to Dealership 5th Generation Accord 1994 in 1993. They had just released them for sale a few days before I went to Honda Dealership was Wilson Honda back then became Sport Honda shortly after I got that car Silver Spring Maryland. I traded in a 1990 4th Gen Accord for that I purchased from them new. But the first batch of 5th Gen Accords had some bad driver window regulator or motors.
I put the window down one three days after I got the car and it did not go back up. It was Sat night so nothing I could do to first thing Monday.
It had rained every day except the day I picked it up but I was at Honda service center in Silver Spring first thing that Monday mourning. They know me because I had been customer since 1980 when I got my Prelude. They wanted to know jokingly what I had did to the new Accord. I was there when before they opened and when they went inside a recall to dealers had already been issued about the problem. They should have rolled drivers windows down at least 10 times. They put me in a rental car while car was being repaired. I also got aftermarket leather put in from company thru dealership. The saleswoman called for me to bring the car in. I told her the recall and car was at their 2nd downtown service center. The company came and ripped apart my new car to put leather in. But I got the car back at the end of the week with window fixed and new leather interior. Never had problem with that in the 6 and 1/2 yrs I had that car. A few other problems popped up like A/C blower & bad sending unit in fuel gauge would not show tank was full but. But this occurred way after the brand new phase. This doesn't mean it was a bad vehicle. It was a very good vehicle in my opinion.

Reactions: bkp and Jbgreen10

·
Administrator
16,008 Posts
Eh. There's no such thing as a perfect vehicle. Either my first or second Ridgeline (can't remember right off hand) had a failed tailgate open mode. It would swing down, but not open from the side - the handle felt "squishy". A quick trip to the dealer and a 10-minute adjustment of one of the linkage rods fixed it and never had another problem.

I agree that quality went downhill. My Canadian '07 was great. My American '10 was disappointing. My American '14 was terrible. Not so much mechanical problems (none ever left me stranded), but fit-and-finish issues.

I'm remembering more details from my G2 test drive yesterday. There were some various interior buzzes and rattles that most people wouldn't notice or care about in the RTL-E I drove, but I expect a brand new vehicle to be bank-vault solid. Part of this was because there was so little wind, road, and engine noise that it made interior noises seem louder.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Follow-up to my tailgate problem: Mech diagnosed the issue as a faulty lock mechanism on upper driver's side hinge assembly. It is paired to the central locking assembly by 2 rods which go ultimately to the two release handles. He detected a slight binding internally and ordered a new part. It was installed today and all is well. The part will be returned to Honda for failure analysis (supposedly). I hadn't mentioned this previously, but on my previous truck (2014), I frequently had to pull the handle twice to open the tailgate door sideways. I wonder if any other forum members had a similar problem.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Follow-up to my tailgate problem: Mech diagnosed the issue as a faulty lock mechanism on upper driver's side hinge assembly. It is paired to the central locking assembly by 2 rods which go ultimately to the two release handles. He detected a slight binding internally and ordered a new part. It was installed today and all is well. The part will be returned to Honda for failure analysis (supposedly). I hadn't mentioned this previously, but on my previous truck (2014), I frequently had to pull the handle twice to open the tailgate door sideways. I wonder if any other forum members had a similar problem.
I went to the dealership yesterday and drove one. There were 3, on two of them, the tailgates operated just fine in both directions, on the floor model, the tailgate "stuck" when I tried to open in the fold down direction. The handle lifted almost all the way up before it disengaged. I had to slam the gate shut to get it to work correctly, and it was still sticky even then.

I can say other than that, I thought the build/design of the truck was excellent. The main cabin doors all opened and closed like butter, felt very sturdy and tight. The in bed trunk opened/closed very nicely as well. Also, the truck drove like a dream. I've very excited to get one, but will likely wait til prices fall and they work out these minor bugs.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,577 Posts
One thing that struck me when I looked at the G2 yesterday was that the swing gate release handle seemed more sturdy than my G1. My G1 has felt a bit squishy since day 1 but has never let me down. The G2 seemed more stout and not squishy at all.

·
Registered
744 Posts
When did they get one in stock? We went on vacation last week, and I drove around their lot on the way out of town and didn't see any.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
On my 07 I have to do this most of the time.....?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hum........ Well, dunno guys. I've had my BE for 2 days now, still under 50 miles on her, but I haven't seen any issues yet. I'll keep going over her, ya never know, maybe I'll find something. My VIN is in the 5700's.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
I feel compelled to stick my head in the sand until my G2 arrives in a few weeks. :D
Maybe you've already done so in a another thread, but are you going to share any details about the deal you got? Or haven't you signed on the dotted line yet? If you don't want to discuss it on a public forum, I totally understand.

·
Administrator
16,008 Posts
Maybe you've already done so in a another thread, but are you going to share any details about the deal you got? Or haven't you signed on the dotted line yet? If you don't want to discuss it on a public forum, I totally understand.
I'm an open book. I posted my deal a couple of days ago. The value of my numbers is limited since it was a trade, but basically I offered high book value on the CR-V and $1,800 off the Ridgeline. No accessories, "pro-packs", doc fees, etc. The dealer accepted without hesitation. It's coming straight from the factory. I also saved a friend of mine over $6,500 on trade for a new HR-V from this same dealer. The dealer closest to us (the one I'm always complaining about) let her and her son walk out without even trying to make a deal. They wanted to give her $1,000 (one thousand dollars) for her clean '08 Sorento with 82K miles and sell her an HR-V for $3,500 over MSRP. They're insane.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,577 Posts
I'm an open book. I posted my deal a couple of days ago.
Z? Just curious if you've joined AA yet? (Automobiles anonymous). The first step (they say) is admitting you have a problem! >:)

Reactions: zroger73

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ridgeline RTL-E, Northeast U.S.
2,891 Posts
I went to the dealership yesterday and drove one. There were 3, on two of them, the tailgates operated just fine in both directions, on the floor model, the tailgate "stuck" when I tried to open in the fold down direction. The handle lifted almost all the way up before it disengaged. I had to slam the gate shut to get it to work correctly, and it was still sticky even then...
The fold-down operation of my tailgate has the same little "stuck" quirk. It takes more effort to open it than it should and I always wind up slamming it closed. I guess I just assumed that it would wear in, and it might. But it troubles me to hear about the same behavior in this context. Maybe I should have that looked at.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My problem got worse. Two days after getting the tailgate fixed, it failed again -would not open sideways. The dealer took a more serious look (different service advisor, very competent). They called Honda who told them to shorten the connecting rod and adjust. Honda also told them that they have received numerous complaints about this issue. They said they would not be surprised is a more robust fix and recall would be forthcoming in a few months. Crossing my fingers.

·
Registered
169 Posts
My problem got worse. Two days after getting the tailgate fixed, it failed again -would not open sideways. The dealer took a more serious look (different service advisor, very competent). They called Honda who told them to shorten the connecting rod and adjust. Honda also told them that they have received numerous complaints about this issue. They said they would not be surprised is a more robust fix and recall would be forthcoming in a few months. Crossing my fingers.
I hope they don't do a recall.. mine works perfectly fine :D and my VIN ends in 2727

1 - 20 of 44 Posts