Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning, I had the surreal moment of spending time with the Gen 2 and perhaps felt the same emotion that Joe expressed... I am mad, disappointed, and PO'ed at the half-a** execution from Honda.

Rather than build on the game changing Gen 1, Honda did not listen and gave the loyal Gen 1 users the proverbial finger. You gave us the opposite of what we needed: very little storage, no console, back doors that do not open wide enough for using the space, a package option that made the RTL look stripped, nothing special vs the Pilot ergonomics.

Yes, there are wins: The bed surface is superior and Honda retained the tailgate and under bed storage....but that was a given for Gen 2!

Honda, I have been a Ridgeline owner (3 of them) since 2007. I have preached the good word, influenced many to buy, and put my faith that you would listen to your loyal customers, instead, you cut corners, gave us a glorified Pilot with a bed, dishonored all the Engineers like Gary that gave us the game changing Gen 1. I did not leave you, you left me.

·
Registered
970 Posts
This morning, I had the surreal moment of spending time with the Gen 2 and perhaps felt the same emotion that Joe expressed... I am mad, disappointed, and PO'ed at the half-a** execution from Honda........
Gee, tell us how you really feel!

Like it or not, the public and the market will decide if it was the right move. Predict away, I am sure some will, but time is the ultimate arbiter of success or failure and it has been about one day so far....

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I can't disagree. Those rear doors, how did that get out of design? Some little geekazoid needs to be fired. I was ready to buy. Those rear doors are almost unbelievable.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Honda, I have been a Ridgeline owner (3 of them) since 2007. I have preached the good word, influenced many to buy, and put my faith that you would listen to your loyal customers, instead, you cut corners, gave us a glorified Pilot with a bed, dishonored all the Engineers like Gary that gave us the game changing Gen 1. I did not leave you, you left me.
Dramatic much? Its a truck, not your wife. I hardly think it is the useless vehicle that all the critics are claiming it to be.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dramatic much? Its a truck, not your wife. I hardly think it is the useless vehicle that all the critics are claiming it to be.
You are correct sir. But, as current Gen 1 owner and as you can tell, a passionate one, i have been giving feedback to Honda for years as have other forum members. I really wanted to love it, but my strongest impression was the opposite. Hey, I wish the Gen 2 success, it will not be in my garage.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Gee, tell us how you really feel!

Like it or not, the public and the market will decide if it was the right move. Predict away, I am sure some will, but time is the ultimate arbiter of success or failure and it has been about one day so far....
Every thread I visit, I find you as the ubiquitous apologist for anything critical of the Gen 2 RL. Many have been members for years, if you haven't noticed, and expected something more from Honda than lip-service as to what would improve the vehicle. Instead, they did what they thought would be improvements. IMO, they jettisoned the good points, and changed the design for the worse. I swear Honda must be paying you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I posted a while back that I was also considering Gen2 (I am admittedly a bit of a Honda fan boy). However, when I saw one on the lot (my previous thread) I was shocked with how poor the rear door opening angle was.

I also think that Honda should have provided more interior storage (and space, especially in the rear) and differentiate the interior a bit from the Pilot.

Mid size truck is really what I wanted, and I wanted it (so bad) to be a Honda, but this Gen2 will either disappear in few years or they will need to do emergency redesign like that did with the Civic line.

Incidentally, I rented a Ford F-150 for a week to do some work around the house/Home Depot runs, and I was impressed. I know it is a full size but still. This will be the first time in a looooong time I buy a vehicle other than Honda.

As someone posted above, I did not leave Honda - Honda left me.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I won't buy a body on frame. I hate how they drive, don't like parking it in small spot parking lots, and I like my vehicles in my garage at night. I will drive it later this summer for sh*ts and grins but I'm looking a lot harder at the Focus RS now. Same MSRP more or less. Just have to wait for the stealers to quit adm stealing.

·
Registered
970 Posts
IMO, they jettisoned the good points, and changed the design for the worse. I swear Honda must be paying you.
Well, I have yet to get the check and I would really appreciate not being insulted (not that that appears to stop you). I am NOT apologizing for Honda, I simply said that the truck suits my needs as best I can tell at this time, I will see for sure when I drive and see one this week. That is a fact whether you like the truck or me or not.

One day does not a success or failure make nor does a small sampling of opinion on a narrowly focussed forum and I suspect 90% of buyers have never heard of this forum, nor care about it.

Bottom line, I am not an apologist for anyone, just stating my preferences which seem to match the vehicle pretty well as far as I can tell now. That may be just coincidence or a result of market research by Honda, I really don't care if it fits my needs. One thing is for sure - I am really getting sick of whiners who complain that the truck is not what they personally wanted and therefore attack those for whom it is a good fit. I did not design the damn thing so don't blame me because I happen to like the design. The fact that it fits my needs and not yours is not my fault! Don't like it, then like anything else you shop for, just don't buy it. If enough people are like me, it succeeds, if more are like you, it fails. Too soon to tell which (of course I am sure you are going to tell us anyway).

I think it may be time to stop reading this forum as it is now getting too annoying and taking too much time. The truck is out and I can evaluate in person. I may come back for reviews from actual G2 owners but this sort of "I like it, I hate it" thread by non-owners does not serve me in any way.

·
Registered
9 Posts
New member. Been lurking for some time though.

I bought a RT in 2006 because it was a great value. I've been very interested in buying the 2017 but I see the opisite of 2006.

Now, a truck with rear window opening will cost 40k - 10k more than the base truck. It would appear that Ridgeline is not the value I expected. I hated the fuel economy of my 2006, but it was an easy choice over the mid sized trucks at that time. The fuel economy is a huge improvement over the first generation - that is not enough to get my $ though.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I won't buy a body on frame. I hate how they drive, don't like parking it in small spot parking lots, and I like my vehicles in my garage at night. I will drive it later this summer for sh*ts and grins but I'm looking a lot harder at the Focus RS now. Same MSRP more or less. Just have to wait for the stealers to quit adm stealing.
Agree on the body on frame, had a Tundra and did not like it. Sadly, the local pack rats liked it too much and chewed thru some sensor wires under the manifold to the tune of $400. It was also too big (or at least felt that way) for my taste. Well made, nice if that is what you want or need, but not for me.

Focus RS, eh? Looks pretty nice but a far remove from a Ridgeline in almost every way.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
New member. Been lurking for some time though.

I bought a RT in 2006 because it was a great value. I've been very interested in buying the 2017 but I see the opisite of 2006.

Now, a truck with rear window opening will cost 40k - 10k more than the base truck. It would appear that Ridgeline is not the value I expected. I hated the fuel economy of my 2006, but it was an easy choice over the mid sized trucks at that time. The fuel economy is a huge improvement over the first generation - that is not enough to get my $ though.
Welcome Triguy7! Sorry it was under this circumstance.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I bought a RT in 2006 because it was a great value. I've been very interested in buying the 2017 but I see the opposite of 2006..
Well, I understand what you mean and in many ways you are right. OTOH, the G1 was less of a truck and more of an SUV than the other trucks on the market at the time. Honda has now gone further in that direction, which is what it seems a lot of folks on the forum do not like. It is also what I DO like but that is just different requirements and preferences. Part of this move by Honda seems to be opting for the same sort of option packages you tend to see on SUVs and that is a valid complaint for those used to the G1 type option packages. That does not affect my decision as I was looking at the higher options anyway, another reason why I tend to be one of those that likes the new Ridgeline, at least from what I know about it w/o driving it (to be done this week).

Whether that was the right thing for Honda to do as a company, time will tell. Maybe "a Pilot with a bed" will be a big seller, maybe it will be a flop. Only time will tell. I do think that to judge that at this time based on what anyone on the forum thinks (including me) is probably not valid thing to do. This is a pretty narrow and self-selected group so probably a poor statistical measure.

·
Registered
84 Posts

I'm actually going from a VW Golf R to the Ridgeline. The Golf is an amazing car, lot of power and is the best handling car I've ever owned. But I just need something more versatile and the RTL-E should meet my needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
84 Posts
Well, I have yet to get the check and I would really appreciate not being insulted (not that that appears to stop you). I am NOT apologizing for Honda, I simply said that the truck suits my needs as best I can tell at this time, I will see for sure when I drive and see one this week. That is a fact whether you like the truck or me or not.

One day does not a success or failure make nor does a small sampling of opinion on a narrowly focussed forum and I suspect 90% of buyers have never heard of this forum, nor care about it.

Bottom line, I am not an apologist for anyone, just stating my preferences which seem to match the vehicle pretty well as far as I can tell now. That may be just coincidence or a result of market research by Honda, I really don't care if it fits my needs. One thing is for sure - I am really getting sick of whiners who complain that the truck is not what they personally wanted and therefore attack those for whom it is a good fit. I did not design the damn thing so don't blame me because I happen to like the design. The fact that it fits my needs and not yours is not my fault! Don't like it, then like anything else you shop for, just don't buy it. If enough people are like me, it succeeds, if more are like you, it fails. Too soon to tell which (of course I am sure you are going to tell us anyway).

I think it may be time to stop reading this forum as it is now getting too annoying and taking too much time. The truck is out and I can evaluate in person. I may come back for reviews from actual G2 owners but this sort of "I like it, I hate it" thread by non-owners does not serve me in any way.

Just want to say excellent response!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
The fact is that the G2 Ridgeline was put together with as low a budget as possible and as many off the shelf parts as possible. No real engineering time was spent. It's a shame that they got close but screwed up so bad. NOBODY that loved the concept of the G1 can possibly like the concept of the G2. They are completely different. It's soccer mom car with a bed. That's it. And they screwed that up as well.

·
Registered
17 Posts

I agree! Too much whining from those that thought Honda should have listened to them. Joe has a beef with Honda because he feels slighted.

If the truck doesn't meet your criteria look elsewhere. It's just that simple.
I own a 2010 RL and when it comes time for me to get a new truck I will see what is out there that best meets my needs. It might be a Ridgeline it might not. I'm not stuck on any brand.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The fact is that the G2 Ridgeline was put together with as low a budget as possible and as many off the shelf parts as possible. No real engineering time was spent. It's a shame that they got close but screwed up so bad. NOBODY that loved the concept of the G1 can possibly like the concept of the G2. They are completely different. It's soccer mom car with a bed. That's it. And they screwed that up as well.
First time poster here, been lurking for about a month (ever since the G2 Ridgeline caught my attention and I became obsessed with owning one)

Just want to give my $0.02 from the perspective of a non-pickup buyer: a soccer mom car with a bed is what I'm looking for, and perhaps what Honda is targeting. Not too long ago this identical discussion was happening with regards to body on frame SUV's moving towards car-based SUV's, and now look at the market...

Pleasing the crowd that loved the concept of the G1 doesn't seem the way to go considering the small market and relative lack of success. They need to create a new market.

As an example, I'm a single professional guy nearing 30, currently driving a sports coupe but looking for something safe, luxurious, and practical. Top of my list were luxury CUV's like the Acura RDX, Volvo XC60, Lexus RX350, etc. I wanted something even bigger and safer (Pilot, MDX, Explorer, etc) but did not want to drive a 7-seater at my age. Then came the Ridgeline: a large SUV that substituted the useless 3rd row for a masculine pickup bed with a trunk. It has all the safety features, tech, and luxury of a luxury-SUV at a lower cost and Honda reliability. I'm not ashamed to say that the most I'm probably ever going to do with this "truck" is transport my bike downtown for a ride along the seawall (which I can easily roll into the back seat area and still have an entire bed and trunk for cargo, whereas an SUV I had to take the cargo cover off and put somewhere, put all the seats down, try not to scratch the carpet and roof loading the bike sideways, and then have no room for anything else)

Sorry for the long first post. I just feel there's a potential untapped market (for people like myself) that many members here are not appreciating. Given Honda's focus on sound deadening, luxury features, and safety, I think they have a target market in mind, and it's not the Tacoma or Colorado/Canyon buyer. I never thought I'd be thinking about trading in my 300+ HP luxury coupe for a Honda, but here I am!

1 - 20 of 161 Posts