Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to purchase a 1.5” front lift kit for a 2019 Honda Ridgeline Black Edition. In shopping around for it, Traxda and Truxxx have them at reasonable prices. However, JSport has them for $515 not counting shipping.
Can anyone tell me what the difference is in them? They all appear to have the same parts. Is JSport a better quality item that it warrants being double the price of others?

·
Registered
185 Posts
I believe the JSport kit is solid CNC'ed aluminum, while the other kits are steel kits that have been welded. Its my opinion that the JSport kit is a higher quality, but unnecessarily over priced.

JSPORT:

TRAXDA

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
I'm still wondering if the Jsport spacers might be beveled to maintain factory camber. Could just be hype, but they claim their kits maintain factory specs. (Obviously, not all factory specs are maintained or there would be no lift! Drive axle/CVJ angles have to be altered too.)

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Jsport just released their 3/4" rear lift for the G2 RL - $175. The spacer disks are solid rather than split for easier installation as Traxda did it. l wonder how the Jsport lift affects rear camber.

·
Registered
2017 Ridgeline RTL Truxxx liftkit tailgate lock, brushguard, rear door hack hood struts horns done
7 Posts
I bought the Truxxx 1.5" lift for the front end. Took me 5 hours to do both sides, I did it on my garage floor, use a lift instead. Paid $189 plus $18 shipping. Everything included and has lifetime warranty. Front end alignment took 1/2 hour and was only off by 1/2" on left side. The spacers are steel, black powdercoated. Why pay for fancy billet aluminum that you can't see? I am VERY happy with the Truxxx kit!!

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
119 Posts
I had the Traxda lift professionally installed on my 2018 RTL-E. . I'm not enough of a wrench to do it myself. Put 35K or so miles on it with no real issues.

As dungeonmike posted, the Truxxx leveling kit is currently on sale. I don't know anything about it. He likes it.

My dealer wanted around $750 for the Jsport kit, installed. I would have the dealer install that kit (or a Truxxx or Traxda kit) if they will cover any issues with their own warranty that could conceivable be blamed on a leveling kit like, for instance, failure of a CV joint due to geometry change over an extended period. not saying it would fail but when I just traded for my 2020 I had to sign a form that modifications not approved by Honda will void the warranty.

·
Registered
385 Posts
when I just traded for my 2020 I had to sign a form that modifications not approved by Honda will void the warranty.
I am not sure they can actually do that. This is probably a state by state warranty law of some kind. I know here in WV, automobile manufacturers cannot void your warranty from doing mods. I believe the burden of proof is on the car maker, not the owner. In other words, if something breaks and Honda says it was because of the mod, they have to PROVE it was the mod that caused it, before denying warranty service.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
119 Posts
I had my salesman specifically ask management if they would cover any mechanical failures. Answer was no. They would install a Jsport kit for $250 labor. JSport warranty would cover JSport components. Dealer would not cover any issues that could be blamed on the kit they installed. I don't agree with that position but that is what it is. At least they were up front about it.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
It's been about 3 years since the 1.5" leveling kits for the G2 were introduced and some ROCers jumped on board. Except for problems that seem to be related to faulty installations (e.g., allowing the drive axle to separate and failure to ensure proper re-assembly), we haven't seen much in the way of failures. Not to endorse Jsport, but they've sold a lot of the 1.5" leveling and lift kits for Ridgelines, Pilots, Passports and even CR-Vs without much negative feedback, as far as I can tell. They've also racked up thousands of miles on their own Chase and Prerun RLs, apparently without the need to issue any modifications or recalls. I don't know if Truxxx and Traxda have had the same experience with their RL 1.5" kits, but I see no reason to doubt it.

This doesn't mean there's no risk or downsides to these modifications, especially with respect to safety issues. I think it's rare to find a dealership who will guarantee against any issues with the kits. What most folks would like to hear, though, is that the dealership will stand behind them when it comes to warranty repairs that are unlikely to be related to the suspension mod. You want a dealer who will work to get the repair covered by Honda rather than just bail out on you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If Traxda's front lift kit has adjustable camber to keep factory specs in line (of course minus the lift,,,) and JSport apparently has been doing this for a long time sorta partnering with Honda (guessing that's why the price is higher--name recognition)... what sort of set up specifically does JSport do to keep in line with specs for adjusted height to maintain performance over the long run?

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Nothing. Jsport simply implies that front camber should still be within factory specs after their 1.5" lift is installed. With Jsport kits, you are paying for billet aluminum spacers (vs. cast steel) and supposedly many hours of R&D by people associated with Honda Racing to develop the kits. You're probably also paying the cost of convincing Honda dealers to market and install Jsport products while assuming some liabilty risks for unforeseen consequences. Jsport is based in California where car enthusiasts are willing to pay big bucks for customizing components.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nothing. Jsport simply implies that front camber should still be within factory specs after their 1.5" lift is installed. With Jsport kits, you are paying for billet aluminum spacers (vs. cast steel) and supposedly many hours of R&D by people associated with Honda Racing to develop the kits. You're probably also paying the cost of convincing Honda dealers to market and install Jsport products while assuming some liabilty risks for unforeseen consequences. Jsport is based in California where car enthusiasts are willing to pay big bucks for customizing components.
Thank you. I was thinking a bit along those same lines.
This begs the question for me: which is a better set up for the G2 truck... JSport? Truxx? Traxda? in light of what is reasonable to expect out of the capability of this truck?

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
There are folks here that have far more expertise in this matter than I do, so hopefully they will weigh in. I still have questions about how lift modifications affect camber. From what I've read, factory front camber on the G2 is negative 1.0 degrees. All the 1.5" lifts push the control arms down and change the drive axle angle, albeit slightly. It has been suggested that the 1.5" lifts also pull the wheels inward about 5 mm with the change in suspension arc, and this eliminates most of the negative factory camber. But what is considered "in spec"? For example, if Honda says 0 to minus 1.0 is acceptable, then maybe that loss of camber is negligible.

Now add in tire and wheel mods that may also affect the suspension geometry. The factory 18" wheels are 55 mm offset. The Jsport Chase kit uses an XD Heist wheel with a 35 mm offset and 245/70R17 or 255/60R18 tires. That's a 20 mm reduction in wheel offset and an increase of 0.4-0.9" in tire diameter. With tires pushed outward due to less wheel offset, is there also some affect on camber? How much and is it a positive or negative change? Finally, the taller tires would affect scrub radius and maybe camber too, but how much? The same questions apply to the Jsport PreRun kit which uses "proprietary" 17" XD Machete wheels (offset unknown) and 245/70R17 tires.

These are just some of the questions that might be relevant to choosing a lift or leveling kit. Personally, I would be hesitant to lift the front suspension of the G2 by more than 1.5". As for the rear suspension, there appear to be camber issues if you lift more than 3/4", although aftermarket components may compensate for the change. A modest improvement in ground clearance for off-pavement use would be adequate for my needs, but YMMV.

·
Registered
13 Posts
There are folks here that have far more expertise in this matter than I do, so hopefully they will weigh in. I still have questions about how lift modifications affect camber. From what I've read, factory front camber on the G2 is negative 1.0 degrees. All the 1.5" lifts push the control arms down and change the drive axle angle, albeit slightly. It has been suggested that the 1.5" lifts also pull the wheels inward about 5 mm with the change in suspension arc, and this eliminates most of the negative factory camber. But what is considered "in spec"? For example, if Honda says 0 to minus 1.0 is acceptable, then maybe that loss of camber is negligible.

Now add in tire and wheel mods that may also affect the suspension geometry. The factory 18" wheels are 55 mm offset. The Jsport Chase kit uses an XD Heist wheel with a 35 mm offset and 245/70R17 or 255/60R18 tires. That's a 20 mm reduction in wheel offset and an increase of 0.4-0.9" in tire diameter. With tires pushed outward due to less wheel offset, is there also some affect on camber? How much and is it a positive or negative change? Finally, the taller tires would affect scrub radius and maybe camber too, but how much? The same questions apply to the Jsport PreRun kit which uses "proprietary" 17" XD Machete wheels (offset unknown) and 245/70R17 tires.

These are just some of the questions that might be relevant to choosing a lift or leveling kit. Personally, I would be hesitant to lift the front suspension of the G2 by more than 1.5". As for the rear suspension, there appear to be camber issues if you lift more than 3/4", although aftermarket components may compensate for the change. A modest improvement in ground clearance for off-pavement use would be adequate for my needs, but YMMV.
Well you have given me more information and specifics than I knew before so I thank you for that!
My plan was to do the more modest 1.5” front and 0.5” rear lift/level and then keep with the 18’s and do about a 31” AT tire...
I hope others will weigh in especially if they have first hand experience with these considerations.
Again thank you much!!

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
You're welcome. If you read through the tire threads some more. I think you will find that most ROCers say 30.6" diameter tires (1" taller than stock) are the tallest you can go before running into more problematic rubbing issues. Also note that lifting usually makes the rubbing worse because of the shape of the front wheel wells. I found it interesting that Jsport went with the first generation Nitto Terra Grappler AT tires which are 30.3" diameter -- slightly smaller than the nominal 30.5" diameter for 245/70R17 tires.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Gotcha, I obviously need to do more research on that as well. I would have thought the lift would help tires not rub, but as you mention the wheel well shape is the limiting factor here... Thank you much!

·
Registered
249 Posts
I understand the concern of modifying the front suspension but I think there is way too much analysis into a very slight (1.5" front lift and 1/2"-1" increased tire size) change. I get it if you're lifting 3"+ and going with 20mm or less offset with +1 or larger tires but...it's a vehicle not a piano and I find it hard to believe that tolerances are so tight that these minor changes will have much, if any, effect.
On my last truck I increased tire size +1" and went way wider with less offset, 160,000 miles later and other that a 2 mpg hit in gas milage no ill effects. I put a 1.5" lift on my RL over a year ago and have noticed zero difference other than the hood looks a little higher while driving and it's almost level rather than raked to the front. Handling and gas milage the same, maybe 1/2 mpg less. I went with a Traxxda lift to negate any camber change. Recently I had 30.1" tires installed (255/65R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT Adventure) on 35mm offset wheels and again, ZERO noticeable difference other than it seems much quieter and I think my truck looks way nicer with wheels that fill the wheel well a little more and aren't tucked in so far. Oh, and the speedometer is correct now, not 1 mph slower.

·
Registered
13 Posts
lpdjshaw, that is helpful information, especially coming from your experience. I am also wanting to do modest changes like you have done. If I wanted a real rock crawler, I would have bought an older truck or Jeep product. I just want to make my Ridgeline look less like a Pilot. I would like to see more pics of your RL... mine is a white one also, LOL.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts