Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After about 2 1/2 weeks of shopping around, I'm hoping to get my RL tomorrow. I've been lurking here for just about the entire time, and I'd like to give a big "Thank you" to everyone here. This site has been a fantastic source of information.

I had little luck with the dealers here in Jacksonville, Florida, so I ended up sending out emails to 15 different dealers within 200 miles. As it stands, a dealer in Daytona Beach is ready to close the deal. We've been talking back and forth on the phone, so I have not seen the truck yet. (I drove one here in town, and I spent about an hour in the showroom at another dealership looking the truck over.)

My question now is should I check the vin to be sure the truck was built recently? I've read the different troubles folks have been having, and I'm guessing those were early production issues that have been resolved.

Once again, thanks to everyone for not only sharing so much information, but also getting me more excited about the truck!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
The dealer will have the VIN number or you can see it many places on the vehicle. I Think they may be posted on the window sticker as well. As I understand it, if VIN number is above 516000 it is a vehicle that was made with a revised method of installing the windshield. I really think that the water leak issues and the wind noise issues that only affected a very small percentage of early production vehicles has been resolved long ago. I do not recall anyone that has purchased a Ridgeline since early June, possibly earlier, reporting either problem.

Prior to my purchase of the Ridgeline, I did as much research as I could. This site absolutely amazed me with the quantity and quality of information about the Ridgeline and many other related areas of interest as well. I continue to be amazed and learn something new every day.

Go for it! You will not be disappointed!

Welcome to the ROC!

L

·
0 Posts
Welcome to the ROC.
You won't be sorry for the decision you make.
Thanks for "lurking" and getting to know this wonderful family.
Now go get your truck ( silver is the best :D )
and start posting so we can get get to know YOU.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
JaxRidge said:
My question now is should I check the vin to be sure the truck was built recently? I've read the different troubles folks have been having, and I'm guessing those were early production issues that have been resolved.
Definitely check the VIN and print out a copy of the checklist to take with you to make sure everything seems OK. I am attaching a copy of the checklist here to make it easy.

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
captmiddy said:
Definitely check the VIN and print out a copy of the checklist to take with you to make sure everything seems OK. I am attaching a copy of the checklist here to make it easy.

Wow. That's quite a list. Thanks. I got my truck today and I did not have your list before I took delivery. But so far, everything seems to be as it should be.

I had to drive to Daytona to get my RL and on the way back I did not notice any wind noise. The vin starts with 52, so I guess it's a pretty recent build.

I did notice a noise from the visors, which worried me for a second, until I noticed that they both were not seated in the clips. (Duh.)

I traded in my Pilot for the RL and I must say they Ridge feels more "substantial". So far I'm extremely pleased with the truck.

Once again, many thanks to everyone. This site was my primary source of information before I bought.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Go for it! You will not be disappointed!

I did, and you're right!

Welcome to the ROC![/QUOTE]

Thank you. I'm proud to be a part of it!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ladyridge said:
Welcome to the ROC.
You won't be sorry for the decision you make.
Thanks for "lurking" and getting to know this wonderful family.
Now go get your truck ( silver is the best :D )
and start posting so we can get get to know YOU.
Ladyridge, I've read many of your posts. It's a pleasure to "meet" you!

Silver was my first choice, and while I still think it looks great, I decided to go with the Steel Blue. Partly because my wife's Odyssey is Silver and I had to be a little different. ;)

I've experienced so much during my shopping process I feel like I could write a book. I'd be happy to share what I've learned with everyone as times goes on.

·
Registered
964 Posts
JaxRidge said:
Ladyridge, I've read many of your posts. It's a pleasure to "meet" you!

Silver was my first choice, and while I still think it looks great, I decided to go with the Steel Blue. Partly because my wife's Odyssey is Silver and I had to be a little different. ;)

I've experienced so much during my shopping process I feel like I could write a book. I'd be happy to share what I've learned with everyone as times goes on.
I think you made a MARVELOUS and in fact the BEST choice in colors :)

Congratulations and welcome :D

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
JaxRidge said:
I decided to go with the Steel Blue.
A big Blue welcome to you. We love our SBM paint, but you have to admit this is one sharp looking truck in any color.

We look forward to hearing your thoughts and experiences during your purchase and ownership of your fabulous new truck.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Congrats Jax and welcome to ROC! I know you will get lots of positive feedback on the color!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My buying process was not as smooth as many of the folks I've read about here, but I had some odd cicumstances to deal with.

A few factors made it a challenge. First, I had just bought an '05 Pilot last December. I had planned for the Pilot to be for my wife, but she loves her Odyssey and she had no desire to part with it. I had talked her out of her SUV a couple years earlier for the van and I thought she would be happy to get her SUV back. I was wrong. In the process I fell in love with the Pilot and traded in my Tundra for it.

A couple months later my brother out in Texas started selling Hondas , and shortly after that the Ridge came out. He raved about how much he liked the truck. Now he's a Dodge guy, so I knew it had to be good. I figured it would be impossible for me to trade after such a short time, so I dropped the idea.

As time went on I really began to miss having a truck more and more. But here in Jacksonville "imports" outsell domestics. In other words, the dealers here are doing quite well, and they don't need to make fair deals when they can get other people to buy at their prices.

To test the market, I drove across town two weeks ago to get an idea of what it would cost to trade. My Pilot was paid for and the dealer wanted another 10K for their truck. I laughed, then told them that was an insult and I left.

As luck would have it, Honda started offering $1,000 back to the dealers for Pilots at this time, so that certainly didn't help me. Plus the '06 Pilots are going to be out soon, so my '05's value is starting to hurt a bit. But I don't give up easily.

I sent out 15 emails through Honda's web site to dealers within 200 miles of Jacksonville, and then sat back and waited for offers. It took a few days before I started getting numbers, but every offer for a trade, site unseen was better than here in Jax. At first they were 6 to 7K. Then I got one for 5.5K. Then about a little over a week I got two decent offers. One from Waycross, Georgia for 4.3K, and the other for 3.5K from Daytona. I continued to get offers, but when I mentioned these offers, they stopped calling.

I had my Pilot on Autotrader during this time, and I did get several calls, but the folks calling knew about the $1,000 coming back from Honda on the Pilot and they were low balling me. My tax savings for trading in the Pilot would be better than any of the offers I was getting.

I contacted the dealer in Daytona (Up to this point it was all emails.) and spoke with Frank. Other dealers made it sound like Frank was going to pull some trick at the last minute, so I asked Frank to put his offer in writing, which he did. I was ready to pull the trigger, but I had one more obstacle to overcome. My windshield had been chipped during the evening by what I guess was a rock from a neighbors mower because there was no chip when I parked it the night before. No problem, Florida has a free replacement through insurance for windshields. But when they came out to replace it, the molding did not go on correctly, and they had to order a new windshield and molding, so we had to wait until that was done before I could complete the deal.

The windshield came in today and I left work and drove to their office to have it installed. This time everything went as it should, and my 4300 mile Pilot was as good as new again.

I left the glass shop and headed straight for Daytona. I didn't want to get my hopes up about the Ridge yet beacause there could still be a "surprise" when I got there.

I drove on the lot, and Frank had me park my Pilot by their garage. I checked out the Ridgeline and it was exactly what I'd asked for, cleaned up and ready to go. We went inside, did the paperwork in less than 10 minutes, and I was done. No surprises. Smooth as silk.

The folks at Jon Hall Honda in Daytona were as kind and honest as you could ask for. I'd never been there before, but I would go back in a second if I wanted another Honda. $6,500 cheaper than here in Jacksonville for the same exact truck. If it's allowable, I'd love to tell folks where NOT to go if your looking for a Honda here in Jacksonville.

Sorry this was so long. In a way I guess I just needed to vent.

This is my second Honda. I used to only drive Nissans, but their quality has really gone down over the last few years. (Which is why I had a Toyota truck before I got my Pilot.) My wife and I are very happy with our Hondas and I doubt we will consider another brand any time soon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts