Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Honda Ridgeline
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
***Edit: Page 5 of this post, or my albums has the install photos***

As the title says... Just bought a brand new BakFlip VP for $635 from Trends-Auto on eBay.

They have more available if you're interested: click on this link. I'll let you guys know how it all turns out

·
Super Moderator
5,370 Posts
As the title says... Just bought a brand new BakFlip VP for $635 from Trends-Auto on eBay.

They have more available if you're interested: click on this link. I'll let you guys know how it all turns out
I owned a backflip Vp and was pleased with the look and quality. Light weight and not as prone to denting as the G2--sold the truck is why I say, "owned."

·
Registered
2013 Honda Ridgeline
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is a hard flip flop cover, but instead of looking at angle iron, fiberglass panels, and hinges they cover the top with vinyl. I also think the ugly back part of some the bak-flip models is not visible on this one...

Here, listen to this cool guy talk about it.

I like it over the others b/c it is light, it truly folds out of the way, and it is sleek. I also liked the peragon, but It has to fold down, and that looked like a source of irritation to me...

I'll post more when it arrives.

·
Registered
2013 Honda Ridgeline
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know right. That guy oozes cool - LOL

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'll post more when it arrives.
Please do. Your post on a different thread turned me onto the VP and I really like it. Might get one myself in the next month or so possibly. I will wait to hear your thoughts. Especially about the drain tubes. :act024:

BTW, reading one site, it seems like there is no warranty if you buy it from anyone (ebay, amazon, etc) other than an authorized dealer. Thoughts? It is like $150 cheaper though. Just curious.

·
Registered
2013 Honda Ridgeline
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Please do. Your post on a different thread turned me onto the VP and I really like it. Might get one myself in the next month or so possibly. I will wait to hear your thoughts. Especially about the drain tubes. :act024:

BTW, reading one site, it seems like there is no warranty if you buy it from anyone (ebay, amazon, etc) other than an authorized dealer. Thoughts? It is like $150 cheaper though. Just curious.
I did buy it on eBay, but I think Trends-Auto is a legit dealer. I imagine with the model coming to an end a lot of the dealers are/will be reducing inventory this year through eBay, and other means. Eventually the excess will run out though, and then we'll probably be in special order city.

I'll keep you posted on the install. Let me know what images you need, and I'll post them up.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I did buy it on eBay, but I think Trends-Auto is a legit dealer. I imagine with the model coming to an end a lot of the dealers are/will be reducing inventory this year through eBay, and other means. Eventually the excess will run out though, and then we'll probably be in special order city.

I'll keep you posted on the install. Let me know what images you need, and I'll post them up.
Amazon also has it for $602 w/ no tax, free shipping from Trends-Auto. My only concern is there is no warranty with the product if purchased on amazon/craiglist, etc. Trends-Auto does not seem to be an authorized online dealer http://bakindustries.com/rt-1080-bak-top-online-retailers.html .

Thoughts as to whether it is better to save about $200 and buy Amazon/ebay vs an approved authorized dealer for the warranty aspect? $600 is much better than the $789 MAP price everywhere else. Warranty is only a year anyway, right?

·
Registered
2013 Honda Ridgeline
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dang $602! I got snaked - LOL...

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just spent 2 weeks going back and forth, trying to make a decision between the Bakflip F1 and Extang Solid Fold. Really wish it was possible to "rent" each for a week before deciding!! I went for the Extang mainly because I didn't like the exposed aluminum extrusion on the F1, it just looked "unfinished". The Extang just looked more "complete", but not sure if this is an issue on the VP.

I think if the Bakflip folded flat against the back window I might have still been tempted, but it doesn't so I figured on the rare occasion I would want access to the entire bed, I'd just undo the 2 wingnuts and pull it off.

That being said, I'm sure we will both be very happy with our purchases, although you could go get a nice bottle of single-malt with the money you saved (I paid $718 all-in)!!!!

Mmmm..... single malt...... mmmmm.....

·
Registered
2013 Honda Ridgeline
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just spent 2 weeks going back and forth, trying to make a decision between the Bakflip F1 and Extang Solid Fold. Really wish it was possible to "rent" each for a week before deciding!! I went for the Extang mainly because I didn't like the exposed aluminum extrusion on the F1, it just looked "unfinished". The Extang just looked more "complete", but not sure if this is an issue on the VP.

I think if the Bakflip folded flat against the back window I might have still been tempted, but it doesn't so I figured on the rare occasion I would want access to the entire bed, I'd just undo the 2 wingnuts and pull it off.

That being said, I'm sure we will both be very happy with our purchases, although you could go get a nice bottle of single-malt with the money you saved (I paid $718 all-in)!!!!

Mmmm..... single malt...... mmmmm.....
No exposed aluminum on the VP...and you're really not going to like this next post. Muahaha....

·
Registered
2013 Honda Ridgeline
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Amazon also has it for $602 w/ no tax, free shipping from Trends-Auto. My only concern is there is no warranty with the product if purchased on amazon/craiglist, etc. Trends-Auto does not seem to be an authorized online dealer http://bakindustries.com/rt-1080-bak-top-online-retailers.html .

Thoughts as to whether it is better to save about $200 and buy Amazon/ebay vs an approved authorized dealer for the warranty aspect? $600 is much better than the $789 MAP price everywhere else. Warranty is only a year anyway, right?
Just for you Ruskie. Read this email from Trends. If you buy in the next few days mention Eric "the crimsoninja" sent you their way (maybe they'll give me a post purchase discount - LOL)

Email from Trends:

Thank you for contacting us.

You should have no problem registering your product with Bak. Not only are we authorized dealers, the manufacturer, Bak Industries, will be shipping you the item directly.

Sorry you did not see the price on Amazon prior to purchasing. Every platform we sell on has different fee schedules and competition on product and we try our best to offer a lower price on items than anyone else.

You probably do not even want to know what cost you would have received had you purchased this direct over the phone from us. We could have saved loads in fees and passed the saving on to you. Oh well at least you have ebay buyer protection, not that you will need it on this item as they are the best tonneau cover for the money!!

You can register the item as being purchased from Trends Auto and if needed you can reference invoice XXXXX

Dave

Thank You!
Trends Auto
920-364-9492
The XXXXX's used to be the number of my invoice - LOL | Hopefully I don't have to use buyer's protection then I'd probably have to advise against buying from Trends - LOL

·
Registered
123 Posts
Just for you Ruskie. Read this email from Trends.
You probably do not even want to know what cost you would have received had you purchased this direct over the phone from us. We could have saved loads in fees and passed the saving on to you.
Just to clarify overly - is this meaning I should call them to get an even cheaper price then I would see on Amazon? I appreciate all this info.

·
Registered
2013 Honda Ridgeline
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It seems that you may be able to get it for under $600 from Dave over the phone! I'll let you guys know how everything works out with the purchase from Trends.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I installed a BakFlip on my'10 Ridgeline a year ago. Easy install. Looks good. No leaks. It does get HOT on top in Texas sun. Although it does not allow the trunk to open to it's fullest, you still have plenty of access. Only other disadvantage is you lose the front tie downs. I am satisfied.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I installed a BakFlip on my'10 Ridgeline a year ago. Easy install. Looks good. No leaks. It does get HOT on top in Texas sun. Although it does not allow the trunk to open to it's fullest, you still have plenty of access. Only other disadvantage is you lose the front tie downs. I am satisfied.
Is the limited trunk opening due to the cover rails being in the way? Excuse my ignorance on this, I am a new Ridge owner and am also looking for an affordable cover that locks, doesn't leak, easy to install for a geezer, and looks good. I do want to use the trunk however, as well as the bed extender. Does the VP allow bed extender usage? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Is the limited trunk opening due to the cover rails being in the way? Excuse my ignorance on this, I am a new Ridge owner and am also looking for an affordable cover that locks, doesn't leak, easy to install for a geezer, and looks good. I do want to use the trunk however, as well as the bed extender. Does the VP allow bed extender usage? Thanks in advance!
I do not have the bed extender so I can not speak to that... I have the BAK Flip F1 and I really like it. The BAK Flip side mounting rails are what keeps the trunk lid from opening completely. For me it is not an issue because I'm not in the trunk very often. I haven't cut it yet but someone on ROL suggested cutting a piece of PVC pipe to use to hold the trunk lid open... I will be doing that just to make it easier buy as I said for me it's a non issue.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts