Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:D
I just finished fabricating a custom light bar for my Ridge. Using the stock roof rack, I attached two(2) sets of PIAA fog lights, with level adjustments, and ran the wire through the cross bar, under the rubber, down the rails to the back of the truck. I then ran the wires through the inside and to the engine bay. Two sets of fuses, switches and relays and she was ready to roll. Let me know what y'all think.

Attachments

·
Registered
264 Posts
Very nice and hunting-type looking or very official in some sort of capacity.
I am impressed with the ideas and abilities of our members to dress up their trucks.
Good job!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Great Job!!!

I REALLY would like to know how much MORE light they put out. I don't have my RL yet but we go from New Mexico north through Colorado and Wyoming to Montana (my mother still lives there) and there are a gazillion deer on the roads at night in Wyoming.

I was going to mount about six (three sets of 2) on the front someway and angle them differently and have two on a switch so I could switch them on as needed? I hate to spend the money for PIAA if lessers will do. I had thought about mounting them in the middle cutout area of the bumper - hopefully it wouldn't cut down too much on air flow.

Thoughts and suggestions please. Wasn't thinking of getting the roof rack so that wasn't an option.

Thnx

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
Looks great. I can't use it because of the ski rack, but more power to you.

·
Registered
73 Posts
It DOES look great..nothing like that "custom" look to your own vehicle. But as for extra lighting, I can't believe how much light comes from my high beams at night!!!!

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
Very nice mod! I would like more details about the install. I also agree that we need a picture at night.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Great, but

Foglights are to be mounted at bumper level or lower, in order to be effective in fog/ snow, etc.

Driving lights are to be mounted no higher than original lights on truck.

Now, OFF-ROAD, no rules apply

Getting all of them with 130-150 watt each would do a great job, and likely melt the highway in the process.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the great feedback! I will get you all a nighttime pic soon. As far as using them for fog, i hadn't planned on it. Just for launching the boat at night and camping. OFF-ROAD use only. This was not intended for any other use. Thanks again and I will keep you updated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I Certainly Hope Your Not Hunting Deer At Night.i'm A Very Strong Animal Activist And Would Be Very Angry If You're Blinding,freezing And Shooting Bambie Illegally At Night.i Am Very Prepared To Notify The Authorities In Your Area If I Learn That This Is Happening.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
TIME,

I too respect the local wildlife and would never, ever, abuse there habitat. I hope that all Ridgeline owners share my views and yours. Thank you for the thoughts in respect to this issue. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
looks good better put a patent b4 they steal the idea lol :)

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
Moved it over to the new Mods Thread.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Can you go into more detail on how you got the wires inside? thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
07_rtx;

It's actually pretty labor intensice to get the wires inside. I used a drill press on the roof rack cross rails after measuring and aligning them to make sure I liked the look. Three holes are required for each one mounted. The crossrails are hollow and once you deburr the aluminum, the wires slide in real easy. I do recommend using rubber grommets to help keep the wires from stripping uppon installation (NAPA or Advanced Auto have them) $2.00 to save a lot in wire and aggravation. You need to drill holes in the plastic sliders and wrap the wires with electrical tape. I fed the right wires out the right side and the left likewise. I found it much easier to deal with and when I had problem with one light, instead of taking the whole thing apart...I only had to do one side. Now getting them into the cab can be interesting. There are several ways this can be accomplished. I choose to go through the pressure relief flaps behind the front of the bed. I ran the wires beyond the flaps, secured them there and then back up to keep rain water from following the wires in. After all that, I just ran the wires up front and put in two nice lighted switches that matched the interior trim. This was just a little laborious. To mount the switches I popped out the existing option covers that were not being utilized. Drilled a hole in the middle of them and filed it out the rest of the way. During this part I recommend doing test fits as you go along to maintain a nice snug fit. Nothing worse than putting something in a hole thats too big. As far as power you can run it from the engine compartment or use a slide splicer and get it form the inside (I have done it both ways). I prefer the engine compartment so I can turn the lights on when the truck is off. If you have any other questions, just email me your phone number and I'll give you a call.

I hope you enjoy the new look and remember, getting the part you like the first time is a hell of a lot less expensive than doing it twice.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts