Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 06 is probably down for the count. . .

Yesterday on my way to pick up my daughter, an on coming driver failed to see me and attempted to make a left turn directly in front of me. I swerved to the right to avoid a full T-bone (we still contacted) but ended up jumping a curb and smashing into an large tree. No one was seriously hurt and thank goodness my 5 year old wasn't in the truck.

The other driver has admitted liability as has their insurance company. I'm in the process of getting a rental (4 door full size pickup) and then waiting to see what the damage assessment is. My 06 has 130k miles on it and I feel pretty confident that it is going to be a total loss.

Details:

Scrapes along the entire drivers side including wheel rims due to the contact with the other driver's Subaru forester front end

Curb impact, likely resulting in suspension / wheel issues

Tree impact resulting in a majorly smashed in front bumper (dead center) with hood folded up and radiator etc pushed back at the engine.

Passenger! side airbag deployment only even though I was the only one in the truck. . . .

Other than commiserating, I have some questions / concerns festering in my brain that I wouldn't mind getting some opinions on.

The biggest one is the air bag deployment. Given the nature of the accident and the tree contact I can't fathom as to why the truck would "decide" to deploy the passenger airbag and not the drivers. If anything the tree contact was on the DRIVERS side of center AND there was no passenger. Shouldn't the truck have "known" that their was no passenger and stopped any passenger side deployment? If their was enough impact to set off the passenger side, why not the driver's side? My driver's side airbag was replaced a year or so ago as part of the recall. My passenger side had not yet been replaced even though I have gotten the recall notice. I have had nothing but poor experiences with my local dealer's repair services and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they in some way screwed up the driver's airbag swap. . . .

I am also thinking / worrying about compensation for the (likely) total loss . . .

I've owned the truck since new and have done all the scheduled maintenance (as well as preventative) and repairs myself. Is there a way to quantify that added value of knowing that the vehicle is properly maintained? Any used replacement vehicle will bring with it unknowns in this area that won't be the equivalent of owning since new

I have done a good number of recent repairs that should add significant value from a "replace with equivalent" perspective. For instance, all four corners of the brake system have been replaced / upgraded. New EBC rotors and pads, rebuilt calipers. I have also upgraded my Ridge over the years including a hand built heavy duty roof rack system and things like upgrades to the stereo etc. I did all of this work myself . . .I certainly can produce records for the materials but all the work was done by my own hands. How to quantify($) that?

What about the time I will most certainly need to spend to get myself back to where I was before the accident: time spent dealing with the accident, towing, getting a rental, talking to the adjuster, locating a replacement Ridgeline, registering it, upgrading it for work use etc etc. I work for myself so time taken away from work is quite simply lost income.

I'm not a litigious person and I am certainly hoping to avoid going the lawyer route. It wlll be interesting to see what the adjuster offers up initially. . .

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated . . .

Attachments

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Sorry about your truck but happy to hear there are no injuries. You obviously weren't going too fast as the damages are not that bad considering that tree wasn't going anywhere. Sadly, if your area is anything like around here, they aren't fixing anything over about eight years old. They also look at a lower loss/value ratio with older vehicles. Where a newer car will be fixed as long as the damage is below 75% of value, that drops to 50 or 60% for something six + years old.

Insurance around here will look at receipts for recent repairs, but certainly not at full value. The problem is the book value on cars assumes everything is working and the car is roadworthy. If you're looking at a car and it has brand new brakes, you're not going to say 'the book value of the car is $5,000, but I'll give you $5500 b/c the brakes are new'. No, but you would look at a car and say, 'the book value is $5000, but I need to do the brakes and it looks like a couple of shocks might need replacing. It's only worth $4500'. Insurance looks at it the same way.

As for the airbags, I'm not sure. Did you have the actuators replaced under the recall? I'm not sure if an airbag should go off in an unoccupied position. I know the sensor in the seat isn't to determine if the seat is occupied, but occupied by someone who is too light (small) to withstand an airbag deployment. That's why the 'airbag off' light comes on if something under 60 lbs is placed on the seat. I would be asking the question of why the driver's airbag didn't deploy.

Good luck.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Oh man, Eurban, that stinks. I know how well you've taken care of and upgraded that vehicle -- like it's a member of your family. As much of a bummer as it is, it helps to look on the bright side that no one was seriously injured.

It is odd about the airbag (btw, did you notice any shrapnel?) But I will tell you this: We had a 2004 Sienna van with the optional bazillion airbags. A guy in a monster pickup ran a red light at full speed and tore the front end off of it (totaled, of course). Not one single airbag deployed. I questioned Toyota about this and they swore up and down that the sophisticated computer system analyzed the impact area and decided not to deploy airbags. Go figure. So there does seem to be some arbitrariness to how these deploy.

My understanding of the front passenger airbag was that there is a sensor that will turn it off if a front occupant is below a certain weight. But I believe it is on otherwise.

As for the settlement (and I agree with SK17 that the news will be bad), get your ducks in a row and be prepared to show them records of upgrades/maintenance. I don't know if it will make any difference - it might depend on which insurance company you are dealing with.

When our Accord got rear ended (again, by a pick-up) and burned up, I was unsuccessful at getting anything beyond basic blueback for the vehicle, even though it was in primo condition, low miles, and we had completed over $1K in preventative maintenance literally the day before the accident. And they played hardball by cancelling our rental car the moment they offered us a settlement number.

On the other hand, with our Sienna the insurance company offered us a number that did not reflect the value of the option packages we had purchased. These were mostly "invisible" options (like the extra airbags, a wireless rear entertainment system, towing package, roof rack & cross bars, alloy wheels, etc) that the standard vehicle of our trim level did not have, and the insurance adjuster did not note in his appraisal. By showing them the window sticker with all the options listed I successfully increased the settlement by about $2K.

In the case of the Sienna wreck, I was thankfully the only occupant. After settling the vehicle, I received a call from someone else at the insurance company offering me a personal cash settlement for my aggravation and disruption (I did not need treatment at a hospital, but I was quite sore for several days and needed to remain resting in bed. In retrospect, I probably should have been evaluated.) The catch was I had to waive any future claims for personal injury, etc. Again, I probably should have got some advice on that, but I accepted their (very modest, three-figure) check and just moved on from there.

I hope my experiences will be of some help to you in navigating this. Again, bummer about the Ridgeline but glad you are not injured.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Don't be too quick to think it's totaled............you may be surprised.

My wife was doing 80 on the highway and rear ended a car in her 03 CRV with 180000 miles, the insurance OK'd the repair and it came out to $5000. The vehicle booked for less than that, but they repaired it and we drove it for another 6 months before trading it in.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't be too quick to think it's totaled............you may be surprised.

My wife was doing 80 on the highway and rear ended a car in her 03 CRV with 180000 miles, the insurance OK'd the repair and it came out to $5000. The vehicle booked for less than that, but they repaired it and we drove it for another 6 months before trading it in.
Agreed!
It will be interesting to see how it adds up.

My concerns"
Passenger airbag replacement will add much to the cost. Perhaps I should open up a discussion with Honda? Why did the passenger airbag go off with no passenger? Why didn't the driver's side go off? Maybe a replacement passenger airbag at no cost since it was already under recall?

Scrapes along the entire driver side including wheels . . .Adds to the repair costs substantially. Used doors with repaint? Used wheels?

Suspension / associate chassis damage from curb impact? My experience with the Ridge is that it is pretty tough in this area. Hopefully there won't be much issue here.

Front impact. Big questions as to how far the damage goes. Much of the front bolts on and off.

My truck is currently at a local bodyshop and the adjuster will be checking it out on Monday. We will see . . .

I'm currently in a brand new Tundra 4 door (medium (not full) size rear doors). I like the dash / infotainment and converting back seat area (almost as big as the GenI's. The full size bed is much wider and over six feet long. It handles like a pig though and is much more difficult to maneuver around town. Nowhere except the rear of the cab to put my tools. As of yet, I have no gas mileage data but I don't expect it to be good.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Sorry for your accident. As one of the "old timers" on here, I always read your insightful comments. I hope you "get her fixed", and keep contributing to this forum.

I will say that my last vehicle before purchasing my RTL in '08, was "totaled" in what I considered a minor collision. I purchased it back from the insurance company, had it repaired and drove it for several more years. I had it repaired at a body shop that cost me much less than the insurance companies estimates.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,113 Posts
Sorry to see you got into an accident.

If your vehicle was NOT insured for any of the additional parts (like mine, all the stuff I got on there, is not additionally insured, just the truck) like the accessories, then none of them will be replaced/repaired. Depending on how the INS company scrutinizes it, you maybe able to get away with it. Accidents, as long as no one was severely injured, it is a pretty swift process. Usually the only way for you to recoup your 'time' is if you know a bodyshop and they 'add-in' some of the 'uncovered damage' and the other INS carrier cuts out a check. You could have spend $4000 on a tranny and engine couple of days back, but that does not 'add-on' to your KBB value. Kind of a crappy deal, but its the realistic process.

Sorry bud, hopefully it does not draw out too much and you get your truck back in shape.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Glad you're okay there!!!

I can understand the driver air bag not popping, but the passenger air bag isn't supposed to pop unless sufficient weight is detected in the seat.

HOWEVERRRRR.... Something sticks in the back of my feeble mind about a passenger occupant sensor not coming along until some time after 2006.

Also, your seat belt pretensioners probably fired and will need replaced too in addition to your SRS module and impact sensors. All that airbag stuff really gets expensive and can be more than metal-plastic-paint stuff.

UPDATE...

2007 and newer manual says:
"If the weight sensors detect there is
no passenger in the front seat, the
airbag is automatically turned off.
However, the passenger airbag off
indicator in this situation will not
come on."

The 2006 manual doesn't say anything like that. Looks like the 2007-up has a smarter weight sensor that can keep the passenger front airbag from popping if nobody's home.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks for that info HondaCasey! That would explain why the passenger airbag went off. I still am surprised that given the location of the impact, that the "decision" was made to blow the passenger side and not the driver's side. In the end, I came away without major injuries (my neck is still stiff) and I might have been in worse shape if the airbag had deployed.

You are also correct about the auxiliary parts that need to be replaced. I discussed with the adjuster that the passenger airbag on my vehicle hadn't yet been replaced under the recall and that maybe we could get Honda to do that even though the bag was now deployed. He pointed out that all the sensors, seatbelts etc are pretty much required to be replaced after deployment and that the cost of the actual airbag was small portion of that ($250ish)

Damages to my vehicle were estimated to be over $8k which according the adjuster is over 100% of its value so it is a total loss. I am currently in an ongoing discussion with them over fair compensation so we will see what I actually come away with.

Thanks to all who have replied!

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry to see you got into an accident.

If your vehicle was NOT insured for any of the additional parts (like mine, all the stuff I got on there, is not additionally insured, just the truck) like the accessories, then none of them will be replaced/repaired. Depending on how the INS company scrutinizes it, you maybe able to get away with it. Accidents, as long as no one was severely injured, it is a pretty swift process. Usually the only way for you to recoup your 'time' is if you know a bodyshop and they 'add-in' some of the 'uncovered damage' and the other INS carrier cuts out a check. You could have spend $4000 on a tranny and engine couple of days back, but that does not 'add-on' to your KBB value. Kind of a crappy deal, but its the realistic process.

Sorry bud, hopefully it does not draw out too much and you get your truck back in shape.
Agree with most of what you say. However I am not the at fault party and I am going through their insurance so I don't think that it is clear that the at fault party's insurance is not obligated to put at least some value to any an all documented "upgrades." We will see . . .

·
Registered
784 Posts

Damages to my vehicle were estimated to be over $8k which according the adjuster is over 100% of its value so it is a total loss. I am currently in an ongoing discussion with them over fair compensation so we will see what I actually come away with....!
Sorry to hear the confirmation -- I know you were hoping to hear differently. But I am not surprised.

If your neck is still sore, and you haven't had it checked yet, I would urge you to do so. Impact injuries like these can be subtle at first but then get worse with time. There is no harm in getting checked by your doctor and might even be very beneficial. And it's important to have injuries properly documented in case you end up with an on-going issue (hopefully not.)

On another note, and steering the conversation to a happier direction -- have you given any thoughts to a replacement? Is the Tundra pulling you to the dark side yet?:wink:

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
2017 Tundra is truly a pig to drive. It wallows terribly and kind of reminds me of driving with the parking brake on all the time. The rental is the 4.? V8 and it it isn't particularly powerful and is noisy on the highway. Basically I'm not much of a fan of the the latest Tundra.

I will say that the Tundra's medium size cab is a good design. Essentially the same wheel base as the other medium cabs with the 6'8" bed. This is about as long as I would want to go. On the Tundra though, the rear cab doors have exposed handles so you can open them normally rather than the reversed hinges on F150 supercab. Rear seat legroom on the medium cab Tundra is just about as good as the Gen1 Ridge and WAY better than the F150's supercab. Basically I could live with the medium size cab Tundra's back seats. I couldn't live with the back seats of the supercab f150. On the Tundra, partner this with the 6'8" bed and having to install a tool box in the back isn't as bad as it would be with a 5'5" bed.

Too bad it is such a pig to drive!

I settled with the at fault party's insurance today. $8800 for my 06 with 130k miles. My truck had many scratches on the exterior from its half life as a work vehicle so they really wanted to lowball my value. The adjuster never actually made the lowball offer but was throwing out something like $6500 which I told him wasn't going to fly. I spent a long time explaining the meticulous maintenance that I have personally performed since day one and provided a good number of receipts for parts that I have replaced recently. I also explained that I was a customer for my motorcycles with his insurance company. I also explained that I wasn't selling my actual vehicle but rather being forced to buy a replacement vehicle that would need to be as safe and as mechanically sound as mine. I provided him numerous listings for 06 RTS trim Ridgelines for sale in my area which showed prices close to $10k for vehicles with similar mileage to mine. I also mentioned that my neck was still a bit stiff. In end I asked flat out for $10k and eventually accepted the $8.8 I think that I did OK but I would still rather just have my 06 back. . . .

As much as I would like something new and refreshing, I've decided to stick with a GenI as no other vehcile (including the GenII) seems to strike the work / family balance as well for my particular needs. Now that I have money in hand I'm going to look a 12 Silver Sport model that I have had my eye on. . . .

PS: I took my custom roof rack parts off of my old Ridge as they weren't going to give me any value for them. I am debating about installing them on my replacement Ridgeline. WorktruckUS makes a pretty stout ladder rack that I am considering as an alternative. Regardless I will eventually post some pics of the parts in ISO's roof rack thread . . .

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
Man Eurban, that sux. Glad you were able to salvage those roof parts you created. I would try to follow it online and see if you can determine where it will be sold off. I know you took really good care of it, actually I was just reading your post in another thread, about the serpentine belt, and you were saying you needed to get the timing belt done. I'm hoping you hadn't done it yet, and I haven't seen you post even in this that you just did it, so I'm guessing you side stepped, this expense, as I doubt you would have recovered that cost.

Good Luck Shopping, and if anything, your prompting me to check my Insurance and possibly drop down to PL/PD, if your accident isn't repairable, anything worse definately wouldn't be.

·
Registered
784 Posts
2017 Tundra is truly a pig to drive. It wallows terribly and kind of reminds me of driving with the parking brake on all the time. The rental is the 4.? V8 and it it isn't particularly powerful and is noisy on the highway. Basically I'm not much of a fan of the the latest Tundra.

I will say that the Tundra's medium size cab is a good design. Essentially the same wheel base as the other medium cabs with the 6'8" bed. This is about as long as I would want to go. On the Tundra though, the rear cab doors have exposed handles so you can open them normally rather than the reversed hinges on F150 supercab. Rear seat legroom on the medium cab Tundra is just about as good as the Gen1 Ridge and WAY better than the F150's supercab. Basically I could live with the medium size cab Tundra's back seats. I couldn't live with the back seats of the supercab f150. On the Tundra, partner this with the 6'8" bed and having to install a tool box in the back isn't as bad as it would be with a 5'5" bed.

Too bad it is such a pig to drive!

I settled with the at fault party's insurance today. $8800 for my 06 with 130k miles. My truck had many scratches on the exterior from its half life as a work vehicle so they really wanted to lowball my value. The adjuster never actually made the lowball offer but was throwing out something like $6500 which I told him wasn't going to fly. I spent a long time explaining the meticulous maintenance that I have personally performed since day one and provided a good number of receipts for parts that I have replaced recently. I also explained that I was a customer for my motorcycles with his insurance company. I also explained that I wasn't selling my actual vehicle but rather being forced to buy a replacement vehicle that would need to be as safe and as mechanically sound as mine. I provided him numerous listings for 06 RTS trim Ridgelines for sale in my area which showed prices close to $10k for vehicles with similar mileage to mine. I also mentioned that my neck was still a bit stiff. In end I asked flat out for $10k and eventually accepted the $8.8 I think that I did OK but I would still rather just have my 06 back. . . .

As much as I would like something new and refreshing, I've decided to stick with a GenI as no other vehcile (including the GenII) seems to strike the work / family balance as well for my particular needs. Now that I have money in hand I'm going to look a 12 Silver Sport model that I have had my eye on. . . .

PS: I took my custom roof rack parts off of my old Ridge as they weren't going to give me any value for them. I am debating about installing them on my replacement Ridgeline. WorktruckUS makes a pretty stout ladder rack that I am considering as an alternative. Regardless I will eventually post some pics of the parts in ISO's roof rack thread . . .
Very interesting comments about the Tundra -- I looked at them briefly and was impressed with cab size, too, but decide they would be too clunky/cumbersome for where/how I would use it. Not to mention they are notorious gas pigs.

I think you did pretty darn well for yourself in dealing with the insurance company on settlement. Give yourself a pat on the back for making the best of an unfortunate situation caused by no fault of your own.

I really like your idea of looking for a late-model G1. I can say that buying my 2014 felt like I was getting a nearly brand new car. I would urge you to look for a 2013 or 2014 -- that way no matter what model/trim you buy, it will be guaranteed to have a back-up camera. I can't emphasize enough how handy that feature is. A CPO from a dealer is one option, but may not be critical to you given how familiar you are with the Ridgeline and how capable you are at maintaining/repairing.

P.S. I wonder if I could use your square stock as a template for drilling out mine? Or do you suppose there's enough variation in where the studs are welded that it has to be customized to each vehicle?

Reactions: Carsmak

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't know how close those studs will be from 06 to 13/14 but you could come by and see if you want. PM me if so.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Came home in a 2014 White Sport yesterday! It's got 23K miles but was not Honda Certified. Condition? . . .Interior is immaculate. Exterior is just about perfect with the exception of a SIGNIFICANT single long scratch on the driver side. Front fender is mildly scratched , drivers door is perfect and then the passenger door as a single deep scratch about 1 foot long. More on that later . . .

Prior to this one, I had looked at two vehicles (2012 sport w 67k and 2009 RTS with 75k) that ended up sounding much better on their listings than they were in person. Prices were certainly lower but the condition just wasn't there. The 12 had been smoked (pretty much a no go right there) in and had seen life as a work vehicle. To put it mildly, the previous owner really didn't seem to give a sh** about their vehicle. There was body damage to passenger rear, the bed had paint spilled all over it and their were multiple scratches on the interior. The Honda dealer wanted 19k for but would probably have been willing to drop that number to 16. Not for me regardless. .The 09 had a decent exterior but the interior was pretty badly worn. My 06 with 135k miles and a part life as a work vehicle looked way better on the inside. My takeaway? Quality GenI's in the 60k+ mile range are hard to come by. Most certainly the cloth seated models (RT, Sport and RTS) don't seem to hold up well on the interior soft parts. The post 09 fabrics just don't seem to be as wear resistant as the earlier trucks.

Thie 14 Sport that I ended up buying had JUST been traded in and the dealer hadn't really processed it other than a rudimentary listing on Cars.com. I called and they said that it was in immaculate condition so I decided to work out a price ahead of time with them that would of course be pending my inspection / test drive. Everything looked and tested out fine (perfect) except for the super obvious scratch that they sort of pretended to just be noticing. The pit bull sales manager agreed to have a specialist come and do a scratch repair / touch up session that should be good enough for my sensitivities (remember I do construction and the truck will undoubtedly end up with some war wounds) Most importantly I got an additional chuck of $ off the price. I had to wait patiently through his attempts at "Jedi mind tricks" before he finally agreed to a price adjustment and a contract for the touch up work in writing.

In concept, white wasn't my first choice but particularly in the sport trim (with the blacked out grille, wheels, mirrors, door handles) it really looks a lot tougher than my black 06 did. I definitely didn't want another black vehicle. I will be ordering up a set of seat covers / all weather mats to protect the interior. I also need to figure out my approach for the roof rack. I will probably slightly modify the custom "back rack" type setup that I made for my 06 and then figure out a way to mount some Yakima landing pads in the rain gutter area at the front of the roof. I then need to figure out what to do for the stereo . . .

Attachments

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I'm behind on my ROC reading lately. Sorry to read of your accident, but thanks for posting about your experiences. I went through the experience of an accident in 2009 and it is no fun being thrust into the car-buying process against your will. I'm glad you weren't hurt, and that you are back in the saddle of a RL. Good luck with the new ride.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
Looks like a great find @eurban

Quick question, what "what color" is the tailgate handle, should be black like the others, but I've never seen a "black plastic finished" backup camera tailgate handle.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Tailgate handle is white. I must say that the backup video is pretty slick the way it is integrated into the mirror!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts