Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I cannot complain about the F150 power or transmission. It is the 3.5 twin turbo ecoboost. Plenty of power. I bought it originally in anticipation of towing a travel trailer. Those days will end soon and I am ready for something less massive to drive. I will get by the dealer soon for a test drive. I always put those trips off. I hate dealing with car salesman. My buying process is slow and deliberate. My experience is once they get me in for a test drive they put the pressure on to buy.

Thanks for the info on the GPS. The reason I ask about Android Auto is I thought I read that Honda only recently added Android Auto support. I wanted to know when that was in the event I ended up purchasing used.

How would you compare Honda factory vs Android Auto vs Apple CarPlay navigation systems?

Here is the trick to this. Once you enter the stealer whomever you get, just tell them you aren't buying today and no matter what they do you aren't buying today. You want to test drive only, think about it, and come back if you think it's the right fit. All they will want to do is give you a card after the test drive. There will be no pressure if you handle it correctly. I test drive anything I'm interested in on the market and rarely buy and it's never an issue.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Turkey Baster fluid extraction procedure. Rate 1.0hr ?
I cannot complain about the F150 power or transmission. It is the 3.5 twin turbo ecoboost. Plenty of power. I bought it originally in anticipation of towing a travel trailer. Those days will end soon and I am ready for something less massive to drive. I will get by the dealer soon for a test drive. I always put those trips off. I hate dealing with car salesman. My buying process is slow and deliberate. My experience is once they get me in for a test drive they put the pressure on to buy.

Thanks for the info on the GPS. The reason I ask about Android Auto is I thought I read that Honda only recently added Android Auto support. I wanted to know when that was in the event I ended up purchasing used.

How would you compare Honda factory vs Android Auto vs Apple CarPlay navigation systems?
I really like the compatibility of the Factory GPS/Entertainment system because it includes Apple play you can use your Music ,Google maps, Waze and so forth with certain apps that apply to your phone will show up on the Screen and you can use the touch screen on the dash that mimics your phone. I am sure Android works very similar. Also works well for sending and receiving text from voice. But when you use your phone as the master your also using cell data.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,573 Posts
Back to size for a moment, FWIW attached is a table I made when shopping. This comparing dimension specs of the 2005 F150 Supercab (extended cab with half rear door, not crew cab with full rear door) I'd owned since new to the 2019 RTL-E that ended up replacing it.
RL vs F150 Dimensions.png

My ownership experience has been that the RTL-E is much more maneuverable than the F150 in the real world of parking lots, etc.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I really like the compatibility of the Factory GPS/Entertainment system because it includes Apple play you can use your Music ,Google maps, Waze and so forth with certain apps that apply to your phone will show up on the Screen and you can use the touch screen on the dash that mimics your phone.
How would you compare the factory Garmin navigation compared to Apple Carplay?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Yes, 22" shorter is nothing to sneeze at, but is it enough to make it a pleasure to drive? I think I am looking for a small car with a pickup bed.
As others have indicated, it isn't the dimensions that make the RL more driveable, but its construction and powertrain with AWD. It's not only a pleasure to drive on-road compared to full-sized trucks, but also to other mid-sized vehicles with BOF construction and RWD--which is all of them on pavement. Test drive a Tacoma, then a Frontier, then a Ridgeline, and you'll see and feel the difference. It's pretty big.

Another thing I'll add is that is an easy truck to live with on long distance drives. I have literally driven this truck from Houston to both California and Florida, and at the end of each drive (sometimes up to 13 hours), I felt fine, whereas I'd be worn in a normal truck.

I use Android with Google Maps. Garmin can be a bit out of date, but I like its interface, so I'll often use it because I don't have to plug in my phone. It's a bit harder inputting specific businesses into Garmin, which doesn't have them all, and you often need to have the exact address. I don't know if Apple's any better. I do know that my wife using Google Maps has spotted traffic jams that Garmin misses or is late on.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I use the factory NAV whenever I can. I like the way it integrates with the instrument cluster and gives you directions there. I like the display and interface. If I'm going to be going through the city, I'll use Waze, or if I know the route and want to keep a look out for speed traps. Google and Apple Maps work great, too. The one bummer about the factory NAV is that you can't input directions when driving. If driving, I usually use SIRI and Apple Maps. All in all, it's good to have options, but I prefer the Garmin factory system for the most part.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanks for the input. I am encouraged about the maneuverability and parking comments. Also, the comment about the sloping hood. I had a 2002 F150 Supercrew 4x4 before buying this 2016. It had a sloped hood as compared to the 2016. It, too, was a large truck, but I found it easier to park. I will go for a test drive.

This next question is on a different subject. If I need a different thread please say so. When looking at the videos of the G2 Ridgeline's Garmin navigation screens look a lot like my old 2013 dash-mounted Garmin GPS. How are maps updated? How much are map updates? Should I instead look at just using Android Auto? What year was AA introduced to the Ridgeline?
The GPS works well. I updated the maps shortly after my purchase in January and it was quite easy. I think I heard that updates are free for five years. Others can confirm or tell us otherwise. Not sure how much they are after that. I went from a 2011 Ram crew cab to the RL. Zero regrets, although the Ram served me well (but yes parking was always tough).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Garmin can be a bit out of date, but I like its interface, so I'll often use it because I don't have to plug in my phone.
Honestly, I did not want to offend anyone here, but the screenshots I saw of the OEM Garmin navigation system looked pretty dated. Actually very much like my 2014 Garmin GPS. Further, the comment on Garmin's missing points of interest etc. Just like my on dash Garmin. It bothers me you cannot enter directions while driving. I assumed the Ridgeline infotainment system had voice commands like my F150 Sync3. Can't you perform most functions by either voice or by interfacing the infotainment system.

I use my OEM nav system all the time. Go for a drive and intentionally not care about getting lost. Once I have had enough I say, "Navigate home". When on a longer trip I will sometimes plug in for Android Auto. Sometimes just to ask Google ridiculous questions.

I really appreciate the comment on TruCar. I did as you did. I filled in the blanks and was almost immediately bombarded by emails. Sort of turned me off, but using it as you did makes sense. I will do that when I am ready to buy.

Raining today. Maybe I can get buy for a test drive tomorrow.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Honestly, I did not want to offend anyone here, but the screenshots I saw of the OEM Garmin navigation system looked pretty dated. Actually very much like my 2014 Garmin GPS. Further, the comment on Garmin's missing points of interest etc. Just like my on dash Garmin. It bothers me you cannot enter directions while driving. I assumed the Ridgeline infotainment system had voice commands like my F150 Sync3. Can't you perform most functions by either voice or by interfacing the infotainment system.
No offense taken. I came from a 2008 Frontier with a Rand-McNally navigation system, so I was thrilled with what I got in my Ridgeline. I really don't use the voice activation. You cannot enter addresses and locations on the move, as there's a safety concern through manual input. Whether you can do it by voice, I don't know, I've never cared to try.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I probably will not trade until later this year. Is there any scuttlebutt (telling my age) on changes for the 2021 model year?

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,573 Posts
Can't you perform most functions by either voice or by interfacing the infotainment system.
Yes, you can perform virtually all navigation functions by voice command even when underway while the map screen is displayed. Unlike touchscreen data entry, voice command is not 'locked out' while in motion.

The command syntax may differ a bit from other Garmin / Garmin-based systems you've used, but the detailed Navigation Manual, which can be downloaded from the Honda Owners website (hard copy will be mailed to you free if you request within 6-mos of vehicle purchase), has a 2-page list of the available operative commands.

Just push the "talk" button on the steering wheel, say "navigation", and go from there. You can turn-off the nav system voice prompts once you've gotten familiar with the sequence / syntax of nav with voice command, makes things go quicker.

IME it's all pretty intuitive, a short learning curve, works well for those of us used to Garmin and using voice commands in general. For all intents functionally equivalent to nav by voice on your SYNC3 Ford, though maybe lacking a few of the bells and whistles (BTDT).

I use my OEM nav system all the time. Go for a drive and intentionally not care about getting lost. Once I have had enough I say, "Navigate home"
"Go Home" is the voice command syntax on the RL Garmin system (y)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Maybe these will help you picture. The side shot I found online. The rear parked shot I took, the f150 may have had a small lift. A member here posted the 1st gen tundra pic. I had a 1st gen tundra and the size was perfect, wish I could get a new one. But the ridglines size is pretty close.

Attachments

·
Registered
181 Posts
The Ridgeline compares to the original Tundra quite well. The first gen Tundra was a good size, but it got a lot of flack for not being bigger, so they made the next gen quite a bit bigger. It was also a good truck, but it was more than I needed. I'm happy to be back in something a bit smaller. It's also nice that it rides so well even with nothing in the bed. The original Tundra rode like a dream with a decent load in the bed. It was still better unladen than the current version laden I think, but the Ridgeline beats them all.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
For all the heat the G2 has taken for its looks...
Not sure what you mean. I was sort of turned off on the G1 looks early on, so I never considered them. It was the G2 that had me take another look. But that's me. A full size truck lover may not like it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Maybe these will help you picture. The side shot I found online. The rear parked shot I took, the f150 may have had a small lift. A member here posted the 1st gen tundra pic. I had a 1st gen tundra and the size was perfect, wish I could get a new one. But the ridglines size is pretty close.
Thanks for the pics. The rear shot really shows the size difference.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts