Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I just picked up my 2021 RTL tonight and so far I’m impressed. While I haven’t really had a chance to play around with all of its features, two things that stuck out to me on the way home was 1) I have the conversation mirror sunglasses holder even though the website says that’s only an RTL-E and above feature and 2) I have automatic high beams. I didn’t realize I did until they kept turning on and off as cars became visible on the road.

My question, should the RTL models have these features? According to Honda’s website I shouldn’t but I know it’s not really the most detailed/accurate.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
6,933 Posts
Hi all, I just picked up my 2021 RTL tonight and so far I’m impressed. While I haven’t really had a chance to play around with all of its features, two things that stuck out to me on the way home was 1) I have the conversation mirror sunglasses holder even though the website says that’s only an RTL-E and above feature and 2) I have automatic high beams. I didn’t realize I did until they kept turning on and off as cars became visible on the road.

My question, should the RTL models have these features? According to Honda’s website I shouldn’t but I know it’s not really the most detailed/accurate.
Honda is a bit lackluster in how they advertise the features of the different trim levels. You do indeed have what is supposed to be on the RTL, along with the reverse tilting mirrors. Enjoy.

Reactions: Pex15

·
Premium Member
2021 Obsidian Blue RTL
192 Posts
Honda is a bit lackluster in how they advertise the features of the different trim levels. You do indeed have what is supposed to be on the RTL, along with the reverse tilting mirrors. Enjoy.
Really?

Wow. I gave a '21 RTL and didn't realize I have automatic high beams. That feature must be deactivated. I'll have to check it out.

However, based on what I've heard, I'll probably leave it deactivated. I prefer to be in control of my high beams.

·
Administrator
20,139 Posts
The RTL-E and Black Edition also have a couple of unadvertised features: A heated windshield and automatic dimming side mirrors.

Wow. I gave a '21 RTL and didn't realize I have automatic high beams. That feature must be deactivated.
That's probably because it functions so poorly compared to the 2017-2019 models that it hasn't turned on the high beams automatically yet. ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
The RTL-E and Black Edition also have a couple of unadvertised features: A heated windshield and automatic dimming side mirrors.

That's probably because it functions so poorly compared to the 2017-2019 models that it hasn't turned on the high beams automatically yet. ;)
Dimming side mirrors? Is this new for 2021? Mine don't dim....(2020 rtle)

·
Registered
241 Posts

this is why my hunt for a RTL-E ended as soon as I test drove an RTL. The only option that I may miss is parking sensors. (i've never had a car with them so perhaps i'm not missing out on them) Figured i could pocket the difference and use it for something else

·
Registered
2021 RTL-E Ridgeline with HPV Package in Pearl White
2,065 Posts

Lol I have it on auto yet I have to actuate it manually. I think of my auto headlights as challenged. Much like a three year old or a puppy. Just don't quite grasp what it needs to do...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
this is why my hunt for a RTL-E ended as soon as I test drove an RTL. The only option that I may miss is parking sensors. (i've never had a car with them so perhaps i'm not missing out on them) Figured i could pocket the difference and use it for something else
The RTL certainly has everything I need. I believe the parking sensors can be added to any model?

·
Registered
31 Posts

Hmmmmm... interesting! My 2021 RTL came with the sunglass holder/conversation mirror as well. No auto high-beams, as far as I can tell. I figured that the conversation mirror was inadvertently installed, maybe the standard unit was not in stock at the factory. Anyway - nice bonus, good luck with your new RL!!!

·
Premium Member
2021 Obsidian Blue RTL
192 Posts
Hmmmmm... interesting! My 2021 RTL came with the sunglass holder/conversation mirror as well. No auto high-beams, as far as I can tell. I figured that the conversation mirror was inadvertently installed, maybe the standard unit was not in stock at the factory. Anyway - nice bonus, good luck with your new RL!!!
No. You have auto high beams, @ny27east.
I just checked my RTL. The owner's manual covers them on pages 154 - 156.

I hear they aren't that great, so I wanted to make sure that feature was turned off.

To turn it ON, the power switch must be ON and the headlight switch in AUTO, then pull back the high beam lever and hold for 30 seconds. When the blue auto high beam indicator flashes once, release the lever.

To turn OFF, do the same, but hold the lever back for 40 seconds until it blinks twice.

Can this BE more complicated? Why so long sitting there with the high beams on waiting on this feature to turn on and off. How about 5 and 10 seconds?

Gesture Font Line Rectangle Gadget

Font Parallel Auto part Rectangle Diagram

·
Registered
31 Posts
No. You have auto high beams, @ny27east.
I just checked my RTL. The owner's manual covers them on pages 154 - 156.

I hear they aren't that great, so I wanted to make sure that feature was turned off.

To turn it ON, the power switch must be ON and the headlight switch in AUTO, then pull back the high beam lever and hold for 30 seconds. When the blue auto high beam indicator flashes once, release the lever.

To turn OFF, do the same, but hold the lever back for 40 seconds until it blinks twice.

Can this BE more complicated? Why so long sitting there with the high beams on waiting on this feature to turn on and off. How about 5 and 10 seconds?

View attachment 417402

View attachment 417403
Thanks, Spredvan! I will have to try the above instructions tomorrow night. I will let you know what I find!

·
Administrator
20,139 Posts
Honda has the worst implementation of automatic high beams I've ever seen. Even on models where they do a reasonable job at turning the high beams on and off, the operating logic and configuration is convoluted and seems beyond the reasonable understanding of most owners.

Mazda did it right - there's a check box in the infotainment system to turn the feature on or off. To enable it, push the turn signal lever forward. You still have "flash to pass" by pulling the lever and it doesn't unnecessarily toggle the feature like with Honda.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks, Spredvan! I will have to try the above instructions tomorrow night. I will let you know what I find!
Hi Spredvan,

I followed the instructions that you provided - the (green) high beam flashed once, I'll see how they work tonight. Since they weren't listed as a feature on my RTL (as per the Honda site) I didn't even try it. I agree that it is a ridiculous procedure to activate this feature. (Thanks for advising how to turn them off!!!)

Thanks again and be well!

ML

·
Administrator
20,139 Posts
No - only the RTL-E and Black Edition do.

Honda offers a rear parking sensor accessory for the lower trims, but it doesn't give you a visual alert or indicate the position of the obstacle like the factory parking sensors on the RTL-E and Black Edition do.

·
Registered
24 Posts
No - only the RTL-E and Black Edition do.

Honda offers a rear parking sensor accessory for the lower trims, but it doesn't give you a visual alert or indicate the position of the obstacle like the factory parking sensors on the RTL-E and Black Edition do.
That is a bummer - thanks for the confirmation

1 - 20 of 24 Posts