Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good afternoon!
I recently purchased a 2008 Ridgeline RT so i figured id just on here and get started educating myself on the do's and don't of this vehicle.
Ill be poking around, posting comments, and reading up on things, so be nice!
:smile:

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,803 Posts
Welcome to the club. Check your radiator fittings for rust, or search SMOD on here.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Welcome!! Change all fluids. Using OEM !! Especially tranny ATF. Tranny at least three times. You never know what's in it. Unless you were given paper work showing it done at a Honda dealer.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
Congrats on your, "New to you G1"

Welcome to the ROC.

Good Luck and Enjoy the Ride!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome!! Change all fluids. Using OEM !! Especially tranny ATF. Tranny at least three times. You never know what's in it. Unless you were given paper work showing it done at a Honda dealer.

Thank you!

Working on it. Plans are being put in place for Full fluids including rear diff, Timing belt kit, valve adjustment, and tune up at 100k

Congrats on your, "New to you G1"

Welcome to the ROC.

Good Luck and Enjoy the Ride!
Thank you! I appreciate a well organized forum.

Welcome to the club. Check your radiator fittings for rust, or search SMOD on here.
Thank you as well!
Will do, i see there is a factory transmission cooler on here but it looks rather undersized for the size of the vehicle and what it needs to do.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I have towed multiple sized trailers with no problems. Though I have only towed up to 5000lbs.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
Will do, i see there is a factory transmission cooler on here but it looks rather undersized for the size of the vehicle and what it needs to do.
Actually there are two methods of heat exchange, for the transmission, the external, and and internal, which resides in the lower part of the radiator.

Here are most of the related Radiator and Transmission "SMOD" threads, if you haven't found them.

Happy Reading & Good luck

Radiator Failure @ Cooler Lines

Best Radiator Replacement

Pictures of Corroded/Rusted Radiator Fittings

Radiator Fail on 2006

UOA on ATF

Anatomy of OEM Denso Radiator

Poll(Never Posted) on Radiator/Trans Cooler Solution

Recent Radiator/Transmission SMOD!!!

Radiator comparison: Denso/Spectra/OSC

Catastrophic transmission/radiator fitting failure

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually there are two methods of heat exchange, for the transmission, the external, and and internal, which resides in the lower part of the radiator.

Here are most of the related Radiator and Transmission "SMOD" threads, if you haven't found them.

Happy Reading & Good luck
After reading most of this i am appalled.
With this being such an obvious point of failure, Why have not more RL owners bypassed the Integrated Trans cooler completely and installed a stand alone ATF management system?
I am a GM truck guy at heart but there is more than one reason to take the radiator out of the equation. I live in the south so there is no "Cold". So therefor i don't need to warm my trans up in the winter. I could in theory just divert all of the atf to a trans cooler with a fan on a temperature switch. Disaster averted

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After having the truck for 5 weeks i have a dedicated plan of action. :grin:
In this order:
265/60/18 Cooper ATP's
Traxda 2" Lift kit
KYB Struts F/R
Underseat Biometric safe
Large transmission cooler with fan
External transmission filter
Class 3 Trailer Hitch w/OEM harness
Skid Plates F/R
Mesh Grill (Black)
Powder coat wheels (or replace with sport wheels)
Kenwood Double din bluetooth/dvd/backup cam / Kenwood door speakers
Window Tint
Dash Cam
DOT approved LED "Fog" light bar (Amber)
Flush mount Reverse LED light pods
Custom fabricated front bash bar/skid plate
Window Vents
LEER camper shell
Roof Rack
Bed Rug
:grin:

Also, as i mentioned in a thread i accidentally hi-jacked,
Im going to be testing the vtm-4 system to determine if it can be operated outside of the vehicles computerized nature.
I have already conducted some unofficial tests out of curiosity but I will be devising a testing procedure and flow chart to determine how the vehicle will try to compensate for the vtm-4 system being uncontrollable.
Ultimately my plan is to control the Rear differential using a 3 position switch.
1st position- VTM-4 operates as normal
2nd position- power is taken from vtm-4 module, 50% engagement is applied to clutches via 50% duty cycle PWM at 5.0volts (on-road heavy rain driving or flooded roads)
3rd position- power is taken from vtm-4 module, 100% engagement is applied to clutches via 100% duty cycle PWM at 5.0volts (off-road activities)

using this system should allow the driver to operate the rear differential in any gear at any speed

After a little bit or reading ive noted there is in fact a fluid pump inside of this unit but it is only in use when the wheels are turning, I would also like to tap into the internal fluid transmission lines and divert the fluid to an external cooler.
More than likely i will end up burning up my current rear unit and replacing it with a like mileage one. >:)
Once that happens im going to take it apart and determine a way to increase holding pressure applied to the clutches, and mount an external oil pump and cooler to be engaged when differential fluid temperatures go beyond a specified level.

Comments suggestions questions? :nerd:

Side note:
how fun would it be to pull the front cv's, install dummy cups to retain fluid, and put a real rear differential in a ridgeline. RWD ridgeline project anyone?
Your right, it will probably destroy the center diff :frown:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts