Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If there are current conversations about this topic, please point me the way and delete this post. Otherwise, I was just looking under the front of our 2019 and there is that oil pan fully exposed, so, I am curious about skid plate options? If I understand correctly, the Honda OEM skidplate does not protect the oil pan, Folks that have dealt with Burtman have complained about poor customer service, and it appears that changing oil with the JSport is problematic, so, are there any new options out there?

Thanks,

Bill

·
Registered
15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
To clarify:
Installation for me was a PITA by myself, but doable. Changing oil is no different than before. The drain plug is easily accessible.

The factory lack of protection is absurd, and this simply takes care of it. The product installs, and then you're done -no need to worry about customer service, this isn't a refrigerator. Jason is available by email if you need extra bolts or something... Again, its not worth overthinking -pay once, cry once. Install that bad rascal and move on with life.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Rumor is that Honda makes a real one, but it is very expensive, because you have to go to Russia or Saudi Arabia to get it - made for Pilots.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
The OEM "skidplate" is just plastic garnish under the front bumper. Burtman's steel plate is likely the sturdiest option. There is a work-around for changing oil with the aluminum Jsport plate (install oil drain valve). The reports of lost ground clearance with these skidplates have been variable and inconsistent. Not suprisingly, Jsport claims no reduction in ground clearance with their plate, but I really don't see how that's possible.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
How much does the skid plate weigh? Any noticable handling or mpg difference once installed?
I bought the skid plate from Jason and it weighe’d in at approximately 35 pounds. While I like the skid plate there may be other options such as mentioned by @Further above.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
I got the skid plate from Jason too. I had trouble installing it because it has very tight tolerance (no tolerance, basically), so it took me a while to get it located in the right place using a floor jack to hold it in place. I thought something was wrong, but Jason responded to my panic and assured me it would fit. Tried again and couldn't be happier. Had an oil change at the dealer and no problem. It IS heavy duty, but that's what I was looking for. I understand that there used to be an aluminum model, but were discontinued due to the price point. Anyway, I recommend it (I bought the rear skid plate too!).

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm hyper sensitive to MPG, but I've noticed zero difference after installation of the plate. (I have calculated every tank put through the truck.)
The disadvantage to installing this is the time and money that it takes, which again, in my opinion is well worth it.

...Consider it an upgrade to lower the center of gravity, and stiffen the subframe -and now the dangling-testicle of an oil pan and exhaust is armored against crap you might hit!
#PERFORMANCE
#PROTECTYOURHONDABALLS

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts