Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got a bunch of stuff thrown into my deal, roof-rack, fog lights, backup sensors, XM radio, etc. When I got the car back after the stuff was installed, EVERYTHING they touched was screwed up (and these options basically involve gutting the interior, removing bumpers, and gutting the bed). I doubt they will ever be able to get things back to factory specs. Not to mention all the rattles and squeaks the car now has.

So unless you have a long standing relationship with your Honda dealer, and know they do very good work, just say NO to dealer-installed options.

Here's the list of what they screwed up (and this does not include what can't be seen under panels, trim, and bumpers....):

1. Rattle in dash.
2. Hole in side bed panel missing plug.
3. Right taillight crooked.
4. Drivers door-opening plasitc trim piece loose.
5. Right bed side top trim not seating properly, and clips may be smashed.
6. Right plastic moulding from bed to roof not seated properly, gap too large and uneven.
7. Rear window trim “cockeyed”.
8. Rear roof panel loose by left roof-rack rail.
9. Front bed panel to bottom panel either missing a seal or not mated properly. Can see holes that are not visible on stock vehicles.
10. Rear mudflaps missing screws and very loose.
11. Replace rear bumper due to oversized back-up sensor holes.
12. Backup switch on dash doesn’t seat.
13. Left front roof channel trim piece loose.
14. Front left wheelwell not engaged with bumper, right front poorly engaged.
15. Gap in right center pillar trim at headliner.
16. FM radio reception seems poorer, check antenna cable for nicks and that connector is seated.
17. Stains on carpet at left of center dash console.
18. Fingerprints on right visor.
19. Carpet not seated properly under right front side trim, by passengers right foot.
20. Carpet under rear seat stained and has gouge marks.
21. Plastic under-sheild and bumper seem loose by front tow-hook. Corresponding area on the other side is firmly attached to frame.
22. Bottom of left foglight loose. Check foglight alignment.
23. Several bedliner Torx bolt-heads are stripped. Install all new bolts in front and right side panels using hand tools, and torque to spec.
24. Cable hanging down under steering column (check ALL cable installations).
25. Bumpers mated to fenders poorly. Reinstall bumper to factory specs, using a stock vehicle for comparison.
26. Rear bumper side-steps seem unsupported (compare to a stock vehicle).
27. Left dash end-panel loose.
28. Glovebox door sticks out on right side.
29. Plastic trim panel below right rear seat loose.
30. Right rear seat release mechanism does not work properly when in the down position.
31. Large gap under rear right roof-rail at rear roof trim panel.

Things that I fixed:
a. Dash facia panel not seated.
b. Rear roof panel screw-hole covers loose.
c. Green and black right F/R door seals not seated.
d. Finger print on headliner near XM antenna

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Sorry to hear about your dealer experience Londo. This is an issue with many dealers. In my particular case, I have a long standing association with one of the service writers at the dealer where I bought my RL. They installed fog lights and back up sensors for me. Overall I am happy with the install. It is always good to check references. I know the dealer should know how to fix what they sell but many Honda dealers are not familiar with the RL and they can easily screw things up if they work too fast. Hopefully things work out well for you. :cool:

·
Registered
491 Posts
wow...what a bunch of bozos. I got mine delivered with mud in it...not a great prep job.

I would like to get the fog lights but that worries me too. I had the roof rack installed and see places where the dragged it on the top. It looks only superficial though.

·
Registered
419 Posts
My dealer installed all of the options I requested and I was very pleased so far. Seems you got a dealer who doesn't give a **** after the sale and that is sad. A new vehicle should be a great experince!!!

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
My Ridgeline was a dealer locate, and had dealer installed options. I checked the vehicle over after prep at my local dealer with the understanding that I could refuse delivery if I wasn't satisfied. The only thing I found was that the installing dealer had left a small piece of the white plastic film underneath one of the roof rack mounting points. I accepted it as is and removed it myself - took 5 minutes. Otherwise, no squeaks, rattles, missing parts, scratches, etc. I do not agree with the title of this post. Dealer accessories are fine as long as you can trust the dealer to do it right or make amends.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Well here is my chrome bumper story. I got my new truck on 3/25 and I wanted to put the fog lights and chrome on myself but the wife talked me out of it.

Took my truck into get the chrome kit put on, when I went to pick it up it looked like the front end had been dragged across the garage floor and the rear chrome was crooked. I totally lost it with the service manager. He said we will get it repainted and I said this truck is less than 1 week old and has less than 300 miles on it, paint is NOT an option. You see I had been through this before with a 93 Accord EX and it is not the same & it won't hold up. So he promised that the next truck he got in he would swap the front end out with mine. I agreed.

When the truck came in they called me and I took mine in for the swap. They were just going to replace the chrome on the rear that was crooked but I was ok with that. When I went to pick it up the front end was perfect, however the back was no better than before. Apparently the holes were cut in the wrong place so the new chrome came out just the same. After pointing it out to the service manager he said let me keep it and we will swap the rear also and put brand new chrome on it too.

The next day I went to pick it up and everything was perfect. Although it took 3 times, I did get a quality job in the end, what I should have got in the first place.

Moral of the story is check the work they do closely and if its not right raise hell and make them fix it.

·
Registered
762 Posts
ripncarz said:
Moral of the story is check the work they do closely and if its not right raise hell and make them fix it.
don't forget the other moral, don't buy the 'new' one they put all the bad parts on!

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
take it back, for the price you are buying shouldn't be any mistakes or have them fix it properly. I can understand if the vehicle cost less than 10K, but for something with all that mistakes or problems Geeezz. Or tell them to upgrade it to the next level or something.

·
Registered
119 Posts
My experience with getting dealer installed options was totally different. I bought my truck long distance, and flew in from 1000 miles away to pick it up and drive home. I had asked for them to install the optional front grille, fog lights, splash guards, back up sensors and tonneau cover. When I got there to pick it up, it looked perfect; totally in line, no marks, scratches or any imperfections. Before I tried all the options, my salesman told me they had a problem with the backup sensors, giving an error beep. They wanted the car back the next day, so it was fixed right before I left the area. They spent all the next day, eventually replacing the entire system, one piece at a time. the problem was a faulty wiring harness. They had it fixed right, again with no visible imperfections. The truck has no rattles, it is unbelievably quiet. I put on 1800 miles in the first week, and it continues to be an incredible vehicle.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Would it be wrong to identify dealers by name who do bad jobs, as well as good ones?

Note to Administrator: perhaps a new category for Dealer evaluations ??

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Featser said:
Would it be wrong to identify dealers by name who do bad jobs, as well as good ones?

Note to Administrator: perhaps a new category for Dealer evaluations ??
Great Idea! Send TMac a private message. He loves suggestions.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, mine was very quiet too, until the dealer got hold of it. I know all this stuff is not from the factory, since I went over the car with a fine-toothed comb before taking it in for the accessories, figuring they could fix any factory problems at the same time. Car was perfect from the factory.

I'll give them another week to get things right, and if it's still messed up, I'll post the dealership's name, hopefully saving others this grief.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Usually when you contact the Corporate Office of American Honda Motor Co. (if you live in the US.) and report what happened at your dealership, the dealership usually gets contacted right away and problems are resolved rather quickly. Have you tried that? From what I know Honda is a company that doesn't just stand behind their product. They also have the highest standards on how their products and certifed services are represented.
Like bongus, I too have had a long standing relationship with my dealership and have NEVER had to go that route with that dealership, but someone I know has had to deal with a DIFFERENT area dealership and they went that route with them and got resolution. Good Luck with getting resolution, don't settle for anything less than mint condition if you are paying top dollar.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm waiting for them to get some parts in and redo the work. If it isn't "mint" when I get it back, I'll post the dealership name and escalate the issue. I figure to give the dealership a break since this is a new vehical type. But just one more break :)

·
Registered
492 Posts
I had the dealer install the fog lights and tow package with no problems. The side steps, vent shades and mud guards I installed myself.
When I had my truck delivered it only had a little over 3/4 tank of gas. During my survey to Honda ?I told them this. The dealer called and told me to bring it in when empty so I did it took 21 gallons to fill up. Honda really wants to make sure people are satisfied with this truck. They never did it with the other 3 Hondas we bought.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My salesman promised a full tank (it was after service had gone home) since the truck had been driven a ways from another dealership for me to pick up. I've mentioned this at each of the three times it has been to the service area and they've never put a gallon in it....

·
Registered
297 Posts
My dealer is Antrim Honda of Greencastle, PA and they installed everything great (nothing big, mud guards, bug shield and wind visors). Would recommend to anyone.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts