Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,584 Posts
I don't think the RL would be up to that challenge without a low range.

IMO, save your money.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
<The Waipio Valley Road on the island of Hawai'i is the steepest road of its length in the world, reaching 250 meters from the Waipio Valley to the plateau situated just 1 kilometer above. The average grade is 25% and the peak grade reaches 40%.>

First hand knowledge would be much appreciated. I don't want to ship the vehicle if it can't do the job.
According to this page, low range is essential to avoid burning out your brakes on the way down. The Ridgeline doesn't have it. So, it might be okay for a visit, but I wouldn't make it a habit.

The manual says engaging the 4wd on dry paved surfaces is taboo, but the sign says engage the 4wd.
The same is in effect for most 4x4 vehicles, especially the part-time ones (which is most of them).

However, you are mis-reading the manual. 4WD is automatic -- it's on whenever needed, as detected by slippage or hard acceleration. What you read is for VTM-4 Lock, which locks the rear drive on with 100% of the power to the electric solenoid engagement. It's only for brief engagement (due to wheel speed differences as with other trucks, and due to heat in the solenoids). Judging by the pictures of this road (mostly paved with high-traction shoulders) in the link, you would not need to engage VTM-4 Lock on this road except possibly for very short spots.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,584 Posts
Thank you. Please enlighten me. Is going down or coming up going to be a bigger problem?

Mike
I may have mis-remembered the limits of the RL. Perhaps it is do-able. But I still think it will be a challenge without a low range.

I've never bothered to try to understand the difference between degree of grade and percent of grade. Read this article and pay attention to the 2nd paragraph under VTM-4 lock mode where grade is discussed.
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/Variable-Torque-Management-VTM-4-Explanation

I suspect you may wish to disable ABS on the descent. I believe that can be accomplished by pulling the 20A VSA fuse in the 2ndary underhood fuse box. Test it to make sure it works. (you will have an interesting light display on your panel).
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=551232&postcount=46

On 2nd thought, Ian says the road is paved... so disabling ABS should not be necessary. I thought you might have a loose surface to deal with.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts