Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Welcome to ROC.

Most of the folks on here (incl me) would suggest that the aftermarket K&N unit you are looking at will provide very nearly zero performance benefits. But it is your money. Might look cool however.

The unit should bolt right in since to the best of my knowledge they have used the same stock airbox and ducting throughout the GEN 1 production (2006-2014). Having said that, there may be some small differences in sensor locations or something else not easily moved.

Please note your K&N unit says applicable to 2006-2008. Honda tweaked the Ridgeline engine and tranny in 2009 but I cannot tell you exactly what they changed. Mostly tuning and shift points I suspect. I see that K&N claims a 9.7hp increase but that was run in 2005 on a 2006 model with 7000 miles on it.

I would make sure the unit is returnable, or call the tech people there and confirm that it will work on the 2014 and why they dont recommend it for the later models. I would think most 2014 Ridgelines are still under warranty so I would hesitate to add this intake. They may not suggest installing it on 2009 up because it has no real performance benefit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you cccbock,
Very much appreciate the useful and informative reply,
if it weren't for the censor location issues, I would be tempted to try it.

K & N simply states that they would not recommend the Kit, because they have not fit tested it as of yet, and based on a new model coming soon, I don't anticipate any good reply to my second email to them asking them further questions.

Nevertheless, they only recommend the cartridge replacement, K&N 33-2323, but I do not see a test showing any definitive horsepower increase, such as the almost 10 HP stated on the intake system.

Do you have any thoughts, or comments on going with the Cartridge replacement?

Thank you,
thebigragu

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Won't "fit" after the 2008. Physically it will fit, but the pre-2008 didn't have a MAF sensor. The 2009 on did and will lead to oil fouling of the sensor.

Moderator edit: 2006-2008 had the MAP sensor. 2009 and on have both MAP and MAF sensors.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Elkhunter,
The only doubt I have about the MAF sensor fouling, is that if a person would install the stock replacement cartridge from K&N, the oil fouling problem would still exist?? Or am I not seeing the same thing you are?
Thanks
thebigragu

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Won't "fit" after the 2008. Physically it will fit, but the pre-2008 didn't have a MAF sensor. The 2009 on did and will lead to oil fouling of the sensor.

Moderator edit: 2006-2008 had the MAP sensor. 2009 and on have both MAP and MAF sensors.
Well there you go. Sounds like we don't want to add an oil soaked filter here.

Generally speaking, and for a bunch of good reasons, most manufacturers have learned to maximize the efficiency of the intake system which reduces the effectiveness of aftermarket applications. The Ridgeline is a good example of this as it already has a positive pressure intake scoop in front of the radiator for a cool air source.

If you want to spend money on the filter, buy the OEM Honda filter. I have noticed it seems to be of generally higher quality than the "parts store" version. A routine change schedule is probably the best thing you can do.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,877 Posts
Elkhunter,
The only doubt I have about the MAF sensor fouling, is that if a person would install the stock replacement cartridge from K&N, the oil fouling problem would still exist?? Or am I not seeing the same thing you are?
Thanks
thebigragu
There may be other significant reasons to stick with the stock air filter too. Read here for more info:
http://www.billswebspace.com/AirFilterTest.htm

1 - 8 of 8 Posts