Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I am new to the forum so nice to meet you all haha! I had a few questions about my air intake system I bought from k&n about 4 years ago.
I know there are a few different setups they offer and i do not know which one is the one i have although im fairly certain it is the 63-3515 air intake system.
My questions are
A) how often are you supposed to change the filters, i think i am wayyyy overdue
B) is there anyway to check exactly which system I have by looking under the hood, i no longer have the box it came in or even a reciept
C)I live in California and the intake I use is not legal, how could I get in trouble with that?
thanks so much and I appreciate all of your feedback!!

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
First off welcome to the club. Now to answer your questions:

A.) You never change a k&n air filter, you clean and re oil it with a recharge kit from autozone or other parts stores. K&N has a million mile lifetime warranty filter that if it ever fails or disintegrates they will replace it for free. Yours just needs cleaned.

B.) No there is no id number on the intake to classify it I don't believe. I have the 57 series on mine and according to your part number yours is a 63 series. You can go to k&n's website and browse the different intakes offered for the ridgeline (only 3 the 57 series, 63 series, and 77 series which is the chrome tube style).

C.) How is your intake not legal? All k&n kits are designed to pass emissions on vehicles that require inspection such as california. Even the magnaflow and gibson cat back exhausts are designed to follow emission and state regulation codes. Just curious as to why you have been told or why you think that your intake is illegal. But if it is illegal you would not pass inspections and wouldn't be able to register the vehicle until it did pass. In that situation you would need to put the stock air intake back on.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First off welcome to the club. Now to answer your questions:

A.) You never change a k&n air filter, you clean and re oil it with a recharge kit from autozone or other parts stores. K&N has a million mile lifetime warranty filter that if it ever fails or disintegrates they will replace it for free. Yours just needs cleaned.

B.) No there is no id number on the intake to classify it I don't believe. I have the 57 series on mine and according to your part number yours is a 63 series. You can go to k&n's website and browse the different intakes offered for the ridgeline (only 3 the 57 series, 63 series, and 77 series which is the chrome tube style).

C.) How is your intake not legal? All k&n kits are designed to pass emissions on vehicles that require inspection such as california. Even the magnaflow and gibson cat back exhausts are designed to follow emission and state regulation codes. Just curious as to why you have been told or why you think that your intake is illegal. But if it is illegal you would not pass inspections and wouldn't be able to register the vehicle until it did pass. In that situation you would need to put the stock air intake back on.
ok so how can i tell the difference between the 57 and the 63 series? is it obvious? and also if you check out the website for the 63 which is the one im 90% sure i have, it says it is 50 state legal except, for ca emissions and other states adopting the carb emissions standards, not sure what thats an acronym for. and i have had it for a while and reregistered it many times and no trouble as of yet so im not 100% sure about the legality of it. but thanks for your help ill will hit an auto parts store asap.
are they easy to clean and oil? im 20 and im not super car savvy shud i just have a mechanic do it? guess ill check it out tomoro
thanks for your help buddy

·
Registered
322 Posts
cleaning is easy, you need a K&N recharge kit. It has a cleaning solution bottle and a bottle of oil, with directions. Basically, remove at a time that you will not be using vehicle over night. Use a soft brush to remove larger particles (bugs etc) Spray with the cleaning solution and let soak. Rinse with water, the filter will turn white. Shake excess water off and let sit over night to dry. Apply oil using the bottle supplied. If you apply oil on the ridges, the oil soaks into the pleats. Check filter under the light, there should be no white showing as this area does not have oil, apply more oil if required to these areas. Reinstall on car. Oiling the filter only takes a few minutes.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cleaning is easy, you need a K&N recharge kit. It has a cleaning solution bottle and a bottle of oil, with directions. Basically, remove at a time that you will not be using vehicle over night. Use a soft brush to remove larger particles (bugs etc) Spray with the cleaning solution and let soak. Rinse with water, the filter will turn white. Shake excess water off and let sit over night to dry. Apply oil using the bottle supplied. If you apply oil on the ridges, the oil soaks into the pleats. Check filter under the light, there should be no white showing as this area does not have oil, apply more oil if required to these areas. Reinstall on car. Oiling the filter only takes a few minutes.
cool man thanks a lot!
edit
and also do you think since i have not cleaned it in years i will feel a noticabeable difference?
my truck has been feeling a bit groggy lately...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey i just checked it out and they have 2 kinds.
a 6.5 oz spray oil and a 8 oz squeeze oil.
does it matter which i get, do you have a preference for one that works better?

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
I just use the spray kind. It comes in a box with a cleaner and an oil. It is a k&n brand box not an off brand and is like 14 bucks I think (don't remember since its been awhile since I bought the kit). You will notice a difference yes and is definitely worth cleaning especially in a few years time. I don't know about state regulations on intakes since tennessee is one of the fortunate states that do not do any kind of inspection or emissions testing. I would say if you have gotten away with the k&n this long then you will be fine since I know your not the only person in cali with performance upgrades. As for the differences between the 63 and 57 series I couldn't tell you honestly. My truck is the only ridgeline I have seen with a k&n intake installed in person so I don't know the differences. Try to research on k&n for pics and info to figure it out. It doesn't really matter though to be honest since they all use the same size k&n air filter. I too am 20 years old but have been working on vehicles since I was old enough to walk and work on them everyday at my new job customizing vehicles.

Just let me know if you need anything else,
Dusty

·
Registered
315 Posts
bdanisi,

I am in Orange County CA and have been using K&N intakes (or various homemade derivatives thereof) on all my cars since the mid-80's. Since our RLs are relatively new, they won't come up for smog until 5 model years have elapsed. Honestly, I've never worried about these intakes because my cars still blow clean, even on the harder dyno smog tests we have now. The trick is to find a smog shop that conducts a, um, "less than thorough" visual, which usually isn't too difficult. :act024: I have owned my RL for just three weeks, and at some point I will put an intake on it.

You can secure a filter cleaning kit from a 4X4 supply store or dune buggy supply such as MacKenzie's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts