Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody! When I take the kayak out by myself, I use the bed extender in the hitch.

But when I need the bed for camping gear, I need to use the ladder rack / roof rack / combination of the two. Shown is the 10' kayak, and I have a 12' version of this kayak as well:

My question is, if I have the kayak(s) on the ladder rack, would it be safe to do a bow tiedown on the crossbar(s) of the roof rack? There's not any great tiedown spot in the front of the ridgeline except those under the front bumper. Just seems like a lot of paint rubbing. I did add some loops under the hood as well, but worry about ratchets slamming into my hood / windshield. Any ideas / experience / thoughts?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You mentioned the loop from under the hood. I did that with very good results with my Honda Element and that is what I would do for the Ridgeline if I hauled on the roof. After screwing up my shoulders I prefer to use a lightweight CastleCraft trailer.

Kayak Trailer* | CastleCraft | Single Canoe Trailer | Single Kayak Trailer | Trailers for canoes and kayaks
Thanks for the reply! That's what my last vehicle was, Honda Element, and I sure do miss it! Very happy with my RL though. I have definitely been considering the ease of a kayak trailer for years, but live in one of those subdivisions that won't allow me to leave a trailer in my driveway.

I usually try to stick with backroads (off of the interstate) for my trips, but the 10+ hour ones usually require interstate travel. I'll probably try the hood nylon straps saturday.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Looking at the length of your kayak i'd confidently say you do not need a tow line at all. If you use a proper strap on the ladder rack bars it'll be really solid. That said, you can definitely tie it down to a roof rack bar no problem at all. Those are solid in both directions so no worries.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looking at the length of your kayak i'd confidently say you do not need a tow line at all. If you use a proper strap on the ladder rack bars it'll be really solid. That said, you can definitely tie it down to a roof rack bar no problem at all. Those are solid in both directions so no worries.
Thank you! I guess I'm super cautious about it for the long trips. My other boat is 2 feet longer, so I'll have two boats on the ladder rack for some trips. Feel a bit safer with the front and back tied down. Kinda hard for the tiedown rope to reach the under bumper hook or the hood straps, so was hoping the front bars would be good for it. Thanks again!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm looking at getting some bed racks, what is the brand of the one you have in your photos? It looks really good! And you have a bed cover too?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm looking at getting some bed racks, what is the brand of the one you have in your photos? It looks really good! And you have a bed cover too?
Thank you sir! The ladder rack is the black p3000 from Vantech and the cover is the access literider soft rollup ?

·
Registered
275 Posts
I do the kayak on the ladder rack - never have tied it to the front. Good ratchet straps and you can squeeze that yak on there no worries

1 - 8 of 8 Posts